PARK CARRY WITH A BALL GAME

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by N.T.F.S., Oct 20, 2007.

1. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

Here are 2 questions

1-Lets say your walking through the park and you happen upon a little league
    ball game in progress , would this fall under a public gathering

2- When we are all lining up at the FEMA trucks to collect our daily supply of drinking water would that be considered a public gathering

2. merlock

merlock Active Member

Yes, and Yes.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Why yes on the first one? It isn't school-related and if you're OK to carry in the park, then why would walking by a little league game be any different? I think it parallels with walking by a restaurant that serves alcohol, or being in a mall, etc.

4. merlock

merlock Active Member

Athletic event.

I can't see (my interpretation) any difference between Little League, USSSA (slo-pitch softball), Sally League or the National League.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

So driving by the Georgia Dome while the Falcons are in town and getting pulled over in the parking lot could cause one to violate the PG clause...

6. merlock

merlock Active Member

Sure. But isn't the Georgia Dome a public building?

Anyway, I'd worry more about the MARTA bus stops. :jail:

7. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I think the diffrence would rely on if you stopped to watch the little league game or if you continued to walk by without stopping. Obviously there is no clear line drawn. I think it would honestly depend on how the officer was trained. I've heard some say very different things on the laws, and i've even heard some say they would over look it. It's a flip of a coin in my opinion. But not worth risking IMHO. Just more of a reason to support GCO.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, it all sucks. I don't have to worry about any of that, being in Statesboro. That doesn't mean I don't want it to be changed, though.

9. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1

10. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

thats what I thought, It sucks though that you have to worry about all this when ever you carry. Am I breaking the law, am I not, as you closed with "just more of a reason to support GCO" can not be anymore true.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Yes and yes.

You'd be within 200 yards of the ballgame or it's parking lot so it would be an "athletic event" and thus a PG. There is no exception in the PG law for just "walking by" or "passing through" a public gathering.

If you weren't doing anything else and were discovered many cops would probably just ask you to leave but I'm confident that IF you were arrested the charges would stick.

12. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Hell...by that logic, you following traffic laws FORCES you to commit a felony crime.

Where are most MARTA bus stops?

Why...at intersections. Where those pesky stop signs and traffic lights are.

So...if you "stop" at the sign/red-light, which is required by law, then you just committed a felony by being stopped "within a reasonable distance" of a MARTA bus stop.

:roll:

13. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

so here i am walking down the street and see a buddy at the bus stop , I stop
    shake his hand and say hello, and within 1 second I can be hauled of to jail for a felony with a possible 10 year jail term?

14. merlock

merlock Active Member

Yes. :handcuffs: :jail:

15. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

According to GA's :bsflag: laws, you could be.

16. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I thought it was 20 years..... :cry:

10 if you're caught on the bus, but 20 if caught in the parking or at a bus stop/shelter.

:jail:

The more I think about this, and talk to people at gun shows, the more convinced I am Georgia's gun laws well and truly suck!!!

Although, I believe that might have been mentioned previously. Probably a couple of times........

:deadhorse:

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

200- yard rule

That 200-yard rule came from a 100-year old case that involved the Court finding that the man had left his whiskey in his buggy parked close enough to the church that HE, while attending church, could have slipped out and drank some of it, which the Court found to be the equivalent of just sneaking the bottle into the church building itself and sipping on it there.

The key fact is that the man was clearly himself attending church. He wasn't just passing by a church. He was attending church, suppsedly a booze-free zone, but he had his booze close enough to him that it was still available for his use at his pleasure. (200 yards in a buggy parked down the street = easy access? Wow. I guess 100 years ago, people were were a lot more willing to walk 1/8 mile than they are today, that's for sure!)

18. jason1

jason1 New Member

Re: 200- yard rule

That a Southern for you we will walk 10 miles just to get the best moonshine around :lol: and sometimes will carry one or two jugs with use to church.Just kidding guys but for the moonshine part.

19. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Re: 200- yard rule

Has there been any new caselaw since then concerning carrying at a PG?

20. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member