Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Painting sights?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bags 
#1 ·
Has anyone painted the sights on their handgun?

My CZ comes from the factory with the green "light charged" paint that glows faintly in the dark (for a few seconds anyway). I like the sights themselves and don't want to install new sights just yet. I'm thinking of getting some bright color oil paint and putting a tiny dab on the front and rear sights to cover the factory stuff.

Has anyone done this and if so what was the result? Is there any particular color that is proven to be more visible? Orange/Green/Yellow/Red/Magenta?

#2 ·
I painted the front sight of my Ruger MKIII with a white paint pen. The front and rear sights on it are black and I was losing my front sight against the black center of my targets at the range. I'm pleased with the results, and my Mosin M44 and Mauser may soon get the same treatment.

#3 ·
I think Bass Pro sells a tritium-based product that you can paint on your sights.

Not sure, though.

#9 ·
I found that the black front sight post was hard to pick up. I thought about upgrading the sights, but I decided that I would try painting the sight. I had read about it on another forum long ago. I had to disassemble the gun and clean it anyway.....

$5 can from homedepot and add the blue painters tape and .....

I have been doing this for about 6 months and may change to the model paint, but this works for me

#11 ·
My new painted sights

I bought the Testors multi-pack with about 8 colors in it. I rotated a small drill bit at each sight location using my fingers. It worked well to remove most of the old sight paint and made a little divot for the new. I thought I'd try a red front sight but after I did it I realized that I couldn't pick it up very well at all. The colors I got, including the red, are all glossy, I think a neon would have worked better.

Anyway, I ended up doing white for front and rear. It's much brighter. To keep it neat I dipped the end of a paper clip into the paint to get about a 1/4 of a normal drop, then placed the tip of the paper clip into the divot to fill up with paint. It worked really well. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera so I can't take a pic....so just take my word for it. Seems like a good solution for worn or dirty sights...assuming it holds up for awhile.

#13 ·
Yes, I do paint them.

However, I don't use "paint".

I just use whiteout. Yes, the stuff you use in the office to correct errors on paper. :)

Is cheap, won't damage the gun, can easily be scraped off if I need to, and is easy to re-apply if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.