Painting plastic or rubber grips?

Discussion in 'How to' started by GoDores, Nov 22, 2010.

1. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

I think I may have a trade lined up this weekend to get a revolver for my fiancee. The only issue is that she's determined that her first gun be pink, and after extensive googling it doesn't appear that anyone makes pink grips for this particular model (a Ruger). There are people who make custom grip inserts in any color you want, and some wood grips that may have a somewhat pinkish hue, but I need the entire grip to be completely bright Hello Kitty pink.

Is it possible to paint, powder coat, or otherwise color a set of black plastic or rubber grips in a way that will be attractive and durable? Ideally I'd like to get Crimson Traces; anyone ever painted these? (They do make pink grips for S&W and Taurus revolvers but not for Rugers.)

2. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Not for the model I'll be getting. Sorry, should have made that clear above.

3. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

I beleive Krylon created a paint specifically for plastics. They made a big todo about it, and how durable it is.

Obviously, in addition to whatever you choose to apply, make sure the surface it meticulously clean, mask what you don't want oversprayed (like to inside), and apply in very light coats. But, I did not need to really tell you all that, but just in case.

Pics when you are done!

4. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Talk to a Line-X dealer. They match colors, and do small jobs. I saw a Model-70 stock today that was done in Line-X black. It was great, and there's nothing more durable in my eyes.

5. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

approximate cost?

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I have no idea. It's probably steep, because of the set up costs.