Painting a Mazda Miata - single stage or clearcoat?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by ChipM, Oct 12, 2010.

1. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

I'm painting my 1991 Mazda Miata. The original paint was a single-stage color. Should I go with that again, or use a clearcoat?

2. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Why not try the "Stealth" look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

depends on your wants...what color is the car?? if its a metallic id definitely go with base clear. if its a solid dark color like black id go with with single stage because when it gets scratches etc it will scratch the color of the paint and not scratch white.... its all really depends on what you want to spend bc/cc will last a couple more years than a single stage normally but waxing is the biggest life extender

4. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I'm guessing his miata is red. Could be blue or white too, there were a few british racing greens and silvers out there though in that year model.

Wanna paint my miata too? :shattered: Seriously though, I do have a miata and it does need a new paint job. I'd do it like the original paint. It looked good for a long while before it started giving out (my miata will be 21 years old in december and runs better than when it was new. :righton: )

5. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

id paint them for you guys if yall were closer...i really need to put a paint booth in my backyard :mrgreen: i dont think the city would go for it though

6. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Too bad we're going into winter, heating costs eat up a lot of spare money that I would use to purchase paint/supplies plus it really needs to wait until the economy turns around and my earnings go back up again so i can get the hail dings removed and get a new soft top too.

7. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

It is white, but I am changing it to red. White is the only color I'll do a color change on; it then has sort of a "body-in-white" race car look, haha.
    Paint booth? Pfft, too fancy. I'm just planning to spray it in the back yard on a calm day :lol:

8. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

If you are going classic red, then I'd definitely do the single coat, no clear coat.

9. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Why?

10. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Basecoat / clearcoat paints usually look superior in finish, and more durable, since scratches rarely get through the clear to the color coat. If you just want to get it painted and don't care very much about overall look, a single stage might work for you. If you want it to look "great," then clearcoat it.

11. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

because solid colors look good in single stage and they dont white scratch...

id do something like this you can get a gallon of john deer blitz black(single stage satin enamel) for about 33$ from your local john deer tractor parts supply store

[​IMG]

12. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

I actually suggested flat black, but was outvoted. :)

13. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

I ended up going with an acrylic enamel in a generic "candy apple red." Looks pretty good! Has some texture that will need sanding, but overall I'm pleased.

[​IMG]

14. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

My eyes! Steelies! :runaway:

Looking good. I wanna see it all put back together though. :righton: