Pain medication question, in regards to GWL, or GCWL.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Montezuma, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Montezuma

Montezuma Active Member

I live in a rather horrible amount of pain. To treat this pain, my doctor prescribed to me, most recently, Duragesic 50mcg/hr patches and Percocet(Oxycodone/Acetaminophen) 10/325, which I take four times a day, as needed. On top of this, I also take Lyrica(for the pain) and some maintenance medication(for high blood pressure and thyroid issues). I have to walk with a cane and I am usually in pain most of the day, but I am able to function and take care of myself. I also, rather recently, applied for my Georgia Weapon License(or whatever it is called now).

I know that the medication I am taking might, to those with no experience, believe that what I am taking is "a lot" of medication, but I have a leg that would disagree with you. I am fully capable of safely operating a motor vehicle, though I am not able to work(I cannot sit or stand for very long). I was working on my bachelors degree, but the pain has gotten worse and that venture has been put on hold. I just worry about what could happen if an over jealous officer crosses paths with me and causes me grief for using these medications and being in possession of a firearm.

I am not addicted to any of the opioids that I use; I only use the as prescribed and as such, I am never "under the influence" of said medication. I do not drink, and I do not exceed the doses that my doctor set, but I just worry about the possibility of an officer getting the wrong idea and either trying to arrest me for possession of a weapon while in the possession of drugs, or something far worse.

Should I worry? Since there is nothing I can do about my leg, am I in danger of being precluded from carrying a firearm and/or obtaining a permit to carry a firearm? I have never been treated for drug addiction/abuse. As a matter of fact, I have never use a Schedule I drug(marijuana, heroine, methamphetamine, etc), nor have I had to use other Schedule II or III medications for extended periods of time(aside from random accidents that resulted in ER visits :shattered: ).

After brushing up on the current laws, in regards to carrying a firearm and medical use of drugs, I have not found anything that would preclude me. I just know that, even though I believe I know everything, I know that I do not. If anyone could give me some advice/information, that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

*EDIT*

Weird, I thought I had posted prior to this, but I guess I have not. I signed up in 2008, but I have kept quite since then. So, hello everyone! Sorry for being a little :screwy: .

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

There are other threads about this.
    As you know, you can get a DUI in Georgia based on perfectly legal presecription drugs, even if you take them exactly as prescribed, IF those drugs have the effect of impairing your ability to drive an any measurable way.

I would think a plaintiff's attorney suing you for shooting his or her client would try to make the same claim-- even though you committed no crime and your drugs are legal, you were still wrong to shoot (no justification for it) and you were negligent for choosing to carry a gun knowing you take powerful narcotic pain meds.

If you never shoot anybody, by accident or intentionally, this should not be an issue at all.

And if you do have a good shoot with plenty of evidence that you were in the right and the bad guy attacking you was very much deserving of getting shot, I wouldn't worry too much. Lawyers may threaten to sue you to try to shake some kind of settlement out of you, but you would either have immunity or at the very least a darn good defense.

If you end up shooting somebody and it's kind of questionable as to whether it was a good shoot or not, yeah, you can expect a LOT of hard questions about your prescription drug use.

P.S. Everything above applies to moderate consumption of alcoholic beverages while armed, too.

3. stuk in irak

stuk in irak New Member

Section "a" says it's ok, but section "b" is a little confusing...who determines what "rendered incapable" means? Regardless of circumstances of any shooting you might be involved in, you'll probably get a lot of scrutiny regarding your medications.

4. Montezuma

Montezuma Active Member

Thank you gunsmoker and stuk in irak for your responses.

@gunsmoker: Yeah, I expect scrutiny if, God forbid, I am forced to ever discharge my firearm in defense of myself or a third-party. I am well versed in justifications of use of deadly force(ability, opportunity, and jeopardy, along with other training), so I believe I am as prepared as a person can be to handle such a situation. Let's just hope I never have to find out how prepared I am.

I am sure a lawyer might threaten to sue me, and they are certainly free to try, but there is nothing for them to take...except some blood. Oh, wait... :D

I am more acutely aware of my situation, as if I were to make a mistake when I discharge my firearm, I could end up with more problems due to the medication I take. Someone could try to spin their argument in such a way to say that I am a danger, when I am just as lucid as the average, non-medicated person.

I am also worried about possible problem with carrying my bottled medication and carrying a firearm. While I should have no problems, you never know what kind of law enforcement officer one will run across.

Again, thank you for your response.

@stuk in irak: Yeah, section "b" is what worries me a little. That "rendered incapable" wording is like "high capacity magazine" working. It can, or outright is arbitrary and difficult to follow.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Know your own limitations.