packing.org site

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by A. McClure, Mar 25, 2006.

1. A. McClure

A. McClure Well-Known Member

Can you guys tell me what is wrong with the packing.org site. I was in the middle of posting on that site thursday night when it froze up, said server was too busy. For 2 days i could not get on, then when I do get on, i try to log in and the site will not recognize my IP address, or says that there is a mismatch. What's wrong, my end or theirs? All other forums that I'm registered on still accept my info just fine.

2. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

It's not your end.

I think their stuff is home grown software. A few guys who got an idea and ran with it. Good but hard to keep up with the growth they seem to have.

On the flip side are sites like georgiapacking.org and thefiringline.com which use "commercial" software packages like phpBB (free) and vBulletin ($160).

I used to go to packing.org a lot but got tired of the unreliability. So now I spend most of my time here or on tfl.

Here's some more people talking about the same thing

https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is a better site for Georgia-specific stuff by far!

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So who else remembers the national "Packing.Org" website run by Mark Solomon?
    I discovered it in 2001 or early 2002, from internet search engine results on gun-related key words.
    I registered at Packing.Org 8/8/2002. Almost exactly 14 years ago.

Not long after that, the owner enrolled in law school and let the site go. It went offline and I never heard about it, or him, again.
    P.S. I was "GunSmoker" over there, too.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Several tried to buy it from him, but he would not sell it.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

10 year old necropost! That has to be a record! :applause::applause::applause:

7. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

This thread makes me feel old. :oldtimer:

8. mog

mog Active Member

He's on a roll!

9. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

Daaaaaang. Old thread. All the same, valid!

10. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

"Packing.Org" is from the Olden Days, right?

11. Shooter

If I'm not mistaken it's a totally different site if that's what you're asking.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It's been 10 years? It makes me realize how long I've been carrying.

13. Shooter

I remember packing.org....very popular...sad to see it close up and vanish like it did.

14. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

GCO has it's roots in packing.org. That is where the "original six" met, concocted, and carried out their plan of debauchery against the racial, anti-gun legacy of Georgia. Was it good for you??

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

This website wouldn't exist either.

As the packing.org admin for Georgia, I created this website to contain all the information which would not easily fit into packing.org's pre-set categories and layout. Which is how I came up with the name for this website... packing.org for Georgia.

16. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

Certainly do remember it. Remember watching it descend into Internet feces, and GS1 providing this site out of the digital ashes. (Thank you!)