Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to have the same manual of arms for the pistols that I am currently using for HD and CC. Since I shifted to the PPS Classic I've been debating what FS handgun to have with the same paddle release. Decided on the P99 AS and none of my LGSs had one and two told me their distributors couldnt get one in for them. Found a place in PA on GunBroker that seems to have an endless supply and after several auctions got one out the door for $426.

Picked it up yesterday ($0 transfer fee :) ) and am very happy with the pistol. Now, to get it out to the range.

Attachments

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the Walthers. I have two PPS pistols: one chambered in 9mm and one in .40.
Are you using the Classics? I really like the paddle release on the Walthers but they seem to be moving toward buttons with their M2 versions.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Are you using the Classics? I really like the paddle release on the Walthers but they seem to be moving toward buttons with their M2 versions.
Classic - these are both paddle release. I hadn't realized they were moving away from that. I didn't think that I would initially like that, but with these smaller pistols I think it helps prevent an accidental magazine ejection.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Classic - these are both paddle release. I hadn't realized they were moving away from that. I didn't think that I would initially like that, but with these smaller pistols I think it helps prevent an accidental magazine ejection.
Big hands and small pistols = accidental magazine dump in my experience with buttons. Yes, several models like the PPS have M2 versions with buttons now.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a big problem for me. I don't have big hands but I am left handed and most mags dump out of single stack subcompacts while I shoot them.
Paddle drops are ambi and make using my weak hand easier for both my PPS Classic (the M2 uses the button) and my new P99AS. I'm finding that I really like the paddle as I do not have to shift my grip to reload and that makes that I am more likely to remain on target from one mag to the next.

·
Administrator
7,145 Posts
I have both the PPQ and PPS in 9mm.

My wife (a left hander) also.

Awesome guns, love the paddle mag releases.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took it to the range this afternoon and I'm shooting tears with it consistently at 15yrds. Adjusted the sight and brought it right a few clicks and its centered now. Amazing ergonomics, the decocker for the striker works as advertised and is terrific, and the trigger in SA is outstanding. DA takes a bit of getting used to on it but its different and adjustments and training are part of the process. The paddle release is welcome and I know that now that I am training on my two main guns with the same magazine release it will be even smoother as I go forward. I think I like it better than my PPS. :)

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gracias. Best source that I could find was on GB. PM if you want the specifics.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another paddle mag release fan with my HK P30.
I looked at the P30, but in the end keeping it in the Walther family won out. Very nice gun, they took Ambi to another level with both the paddle and the slide release.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts
I had one. Liked it. Really liked the mag release located on the trigger guard.

I traded it away and ended up with a 5" barreled gun for better target accuracy.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you carry the 5" or is it more a range gun? I like the size of my PPS for carry but the P99 certainly brings more the the table for carrying. I've got a Browning Hi Power and its just a bit heavy to carry on a regular basis if not in combat IMHO.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts
My 5" (springer XD9 tactical) is for open carry (infrequently) and action shooting games /matches.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Years ago, I had a P99 in .40 that was as sweet shooting a gun as I've ever had. Only reason I traded out of it was to get out of the .40 caliber, and could never find one in 9mm. Now that I've settled into Glock (close to home, and all my handguns have same manner of operation), the 9mms are seemingly abundant!

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like that video too. The point about not rotating his hand to drop the magazine is so true (around 2:10 in the video). Plus if I have to go weak hand the same motion with my trigger finger works on that side too and I can reload. So far the only thing that I'm not thrilled with on it are the sights (painted on instead of drilled/recessed) and the dots are smaller than on the PPS. I'm either going to put PPS sights on it or some night sights once I get settled in with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.