Over a million immigrants land U.S. jobs in 2008-10

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by bdee, Jan 20, 2011.

1. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

2. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Amen to that....then let them come...legally

3. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

No, I am saying they shouldn't come at all, even legally, until our unemployment rate comes down.

4. MyFred

MyFred Banned

That's what I was agreeing wif for cryin' out loud.... :D

5. vanguard

vanguard New Member

this is what i have been saying for a year now, we are not taking care of our own people, it,s crazy, when i lived in Fla. i was in line at the bank on a friday to cash my check and 4 immigrants were in front of me, they all went to the one teller and she asked them for ID they acted like they did not understand her, then another teller said oh go ahead and cash it they have no ID, i thought well when i get up there i will say i have no ID too and see what happens, but i was too mad and did not want to get into a fight with the bank.

6. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

7. vanguard

vanguard New Member

I don,t think it is funny. :screwy:

8. MyFred

MyFred Banned

Who said it was???? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

I wasn't trying to be insensitive, Vanguard.

Here's what I see as the problem...

10. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Sounds to me that illegal immigrants are the problem. legal immigrants pay taxes just like you and me and most of them have to wait several months after they arrive here before DHS will even allow them to look for a job.

11. zeebo

zeebo New Member

I'm not trying to throw gasoline on the fire here, but I wanted to present a different side to this argument. In 1972, when my grandparents and my father, (who was 16 at the time) immigrated to the United States the unemployment rate was above 5%. If the OP's 5% unemployment rule was in effect at that time, I would not live in this great country.

As to the illegals, I doubt that the illegals are taking jobs any of us want. I'd be willing to bet the 99 weeks of unemployment checks is propping up that 9% unemployment rate more than they are. As for the legal immigrants, if they want to come here to contribute to society and pay their taxes, let them come, we could use more of them. I'll put my skills and work ethic against anyone in the world, let the best man win. The welfare state and the abandonment of free market principles are to blame for our economic situation, not the immigrants.

Unless you're completely Native American (or your ancestors were slaves), your ancestors likely benefited from an open immigration system. In 1910 the estimated unemployment rate was about 6%, and there were 13.5 million immigrants living in the United States (approx 17% of the population). How many of us on this forum would not be living here today if they had been barred because the unemployment rate was above 5%?

If you want to take away the welfare benefits of the immigrants, I'm right there with you. Are they a burden on social services? Absolutely. Again, the welfare state is to blame, not the immigrants.

Sources: Unemployment Rate in 1970: http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/data/UNRATE.txt

Estimated Unemployment rate in 1910:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Unemployment_1910-1960.gif

13.5 Million Immigrants living in US in 1910:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigratio ... es#History

For those who would belittle my Wikipedia sources, thats fine. I acknowledge that Wikipedia is not the most accurate source out there. Post more reputable ones and I'll retract and/or correct mine.

12. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I have to chime in here. I am not in defense of illegal immigration. I abhor it! Truth is that Americans are LAZY!
    People I know, in the construction trade, have ceased hiring Americans, because those south of the border work harder, and save them money. While "NosmoKing" is laid up in his rack drawing welfare, Mexicans are at work building houses. One fellow told me that, when he switched to hiring illegal labor, production went up 10%, and the cost of building a home went down by almost 20%. Can anybody fault him for hiring Mexicans? The Mexicans found a place to fit for every scrap of drywall, or every short piece of 2X4. Americans are apparently not that conscientious or hard working.

Would that I could, I would drive every illegal out of this country, but then who would do the work of harvesting crops, building homes, and cleaning rooms? Americans are lazy! Until the "work ethic" returns, we're freaking doomed!

13. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

No disrespect to you or your family. I am not saying that a ban on immigration should be permanent. Legal immigration should be resumed once our unemployment is under control. So that would not have precluded your grandfather from coming just delayed his arrival.

I see it terms of supply and demand. There are a finite number of jobs available. When the there is a need for a larger labor pool, they should then open legal immigration again, not until then.

It is entirely possible that you are correct in your assessment that illegal immigrant are taking jobs we don't want. That's because those jobs are paying less than minimum wage. If there wasn't a constant supply of labor willing to take those jobs for low wages, those jobs would begin paying more, and Americans would be willing to do them.

So the first thing that needs to happen is we need to secure the border. But we also need to target the employers that are encouraging them to break the law.

1. Secure the border.
    2. Fine and suspend the business license on the first offense of employing an illegal alien. On the second offense put a permanent ban on their social security number from ever own a business again. Do random spot checks on those (restaurants, hotels, construction, agricultural, etc.) businesses for compliance.
    3. Suspend all legal immigration until unemployment is under 5%.
    4. When it is under that amount reopen legal immigration on a points system rather than a quota system, so that we attract the labor force we need, rather than simply ensuring diversity.

14. MyFred

MyFred Banned

I have to agree wif this one!!!

15. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

On a farm neighboring ours, there are twenty illegal immigrants living under one roof! Everyone in Harlem knows it.

Every now and then I feed them a goat. Am I complacent? They enjoy the goat, and I make a few bucks. Maybe I should starve them? Hell!............. They can live on re-fried beans!

The problem is that their cost of living is much diminished. Under the same roof, they might contribute a buck a day to their very survival. The rest of their money is sent to Mexico! Can any American say the same? There are thousands of illegals who collect cash salaries, and do not pay taxes. That is the "root of all evil" in this country.

16. MyFred

MyFred Banned

If they want to come here to be Americans, great, whether they got here legally or not. That's okay. If they come here just to send all the money back to Mexico while my taxes support them, then not okay.

17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Institute a FairTax or end our Welfare State that we currently have in America.

18. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

It would be an absolute reality check for America.

There are a TON of jobs being done by immigrants (legal & illegal) which born & raised US Citizens wouldn't ever consider doing.

I don't really see the unemployed public rushing out to get the so-called crap jobs of society like picking produce, cleaning hotels & offices, landscaping, etc etc etc. because they are "beneath" them. When in reality, they are all very vital to the life we ALL lead.

19. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I think this is based upon assumptions. You know why I say that?

Because at some point an LEGAL AMERICAN WAS doing that job, who at some point got replaced by an illegal immigrant. You forget guys this country at one point didnt have the mexican population that we currently have.

Ever been to Dalton Ga? Ever worked at a carpet mill? I HAVE!!!
    I was the youngest Dye Line Operator Shaw Industries ever had, only 2 per factory, I was 19 years old. Carpet was made by AMERICANS at one point, until illegals came in and started begging for work. They would slowly start letting AMERICANS go little by little and replacing with illegal immigrants because their application processes WAS SLAMMED. Wanna know the process at shaw for illegals? When I worked there I ASSISTED management in training these day laborers. Lets Begin:

Step 1: Open Doors to Hiring building located off W. Walnut Avenue at 4 am
    Step 2: ALWAYS the first people outside were immigrants illegal or legal, hand out applications
    Step 3: Rush these people through the hiring process and DOCUMENT which were IN OUR OPINION illegal and legal ( this was done by asking one question: Do you have ID/Soecial Security Card?)
    Step 4: Stand there and listen to them explain how they forogt their ID at home, but they REALLY REALLY need the job
    Step 5: Ignore their ranting and raving, push them through the temp hire process.
    Step 6: Send them to the plant to get training

Sees simple enough? Ehh we're not done.

Step 7: Set them up for training by a team leader who specializes in spanish. The "new hires" are to not know they speak fluent english. ( theres a reason for this)

Step 8: Make them break their back lifitng spools of yarn and explain how to use a tufting machine.
    Step 9: After a long day at work, send them to the meeting room in groups of 10. They will fill out their health insurance information and life insurance stuff.

Step 10: After they leave to go back to work, go through the stack, anyone who requests health insurance and/or life insurance is to be let go due to insufficient identification.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theres no dirty jobs in a carpet mill, just really unhealthy for you. Fire the illegals that work in them, and offer those jobs to LEGAL CITIZENS. Wanna know how I wised up? I went and got an education, an illegal immigrant can't take my job away, if I lose my job its due to my skills being less of the next guy coming in. I worked the hard back breaking jobs, I was a laborer for Kebelco building tractors, worked at the city water department, dyed carpet, worked in the food industry, worked at a retirement home, worked at go cart tracks, worked at DollyWood, worked at TOYO tire facility, drove forklifts.

One day I said @#[email protected]#$%@#$%@# it... I'm tired of dealing with the unethical hiring and firing scams that go on with these places just because they can. These places are revolving doors, and luckily the state of GA made it legal for companies to do this.

Illegals are helping destroy our country and the foundation its built on. They're asorbing all of the slack we had in the programs we created and its not leaving enough room for play. Welfare is stretched thin, unemployeement is streatched equally, we're at the verge of losing it all. Is it all their fault? No. But they arent helping the cause. They bring their violence here, the crime rate, they over populate our schools, they're equivallent to a termite infestation. They will keep eatting away at the system until it collapses, they will then retreat and go else where until it too fails.

20. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Taco, yes, everything I wrote was opinion. I assumed me not citing reference was enough to indicate such.

The thing your post seems to overlook is the fact that at one point, most likely your entire family/bloodline immigrated to the US.

Please understand I'm not condoning the crappy practices which employers use, such as those you outlined, but the sole existence of the US is based on immigration.