Outrageous Choice - Possibly die and be able to parctice or ....

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by MadisonCountyGa, Jul 7, 2016.

1. MadisonCountyGa

MadisonCountyGa Member

Maybe I am reading incorrect or outdated information but according the the law quoted above, I am breaking the law to be practicing shooting on my range simply because I take Blood Pressure Medication?

2. MadisonCountyGa

MadisonCountyGa Member

I finally waded through the "legal" jargon of the code and now believe that it only pertains to any drug (controlled or legal) which makes you "unsafe" when using a firearm sans a life or death situation.

Why do they have to make the laws so difficult to understand?

3. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Are you "under the influence" of blood pressure medication? Does it alter your mental state or judgment?

4. MadisonCountyGa

MadisonCountyGa Member

No I would guess not however I take many medications daily. Some of those "influence" my thought process by design. Using my blood pressure medications as an example may not have been the best choice. Possibly if I had said; when I am taking Clonazepam as prescribed it would have been a better example.

Regardless, I can't say that I am ever unsafe when taking any of the prescribed medications.

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

I think someone on Prozac could be at risk of being "under the influence" of a drug. You are under its influence (psychologically) the entire time you take your prescription.

6. MadisonCountyGa

MadisonCountyGa Member

After I read the statute over and over again until I understood it correctly (I think) I feel confident that considerations were taken into account for someone that is prescribed medication, even those that might be used to treat depression, anxiety, etc... by stating "to the extent that it is unsafe".

I would have removed the thread after I posted it once I finally understood the statute correctly but there did not seem to be any way for me to delete it, even before someone else replied.

7. Thumper21b

Thumper21b New Member

I could see some psycho judge interpreting this as having a cigar on my own range as being illegal because of nicotine.

8. Drew

Drew Active Member

Well, who is going to determine whether or not it is unsafe?

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

and at some time some prosecutor will try.

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No, no prosecutor is going to try.
    It's very clear that this code section was modeled after the DUI law as it was then worded.
    Every attorney versed in criminal law (all prosecutors are attorneys) knows what "less safe" due to alcohol or drugs means.
    If your RX drugs make you goofy or unccordinated or really sleepy, YES it would be a crime to shoot a gun (except for lawful and necessary self-defense).
    If your legal RX meds are taken as ordered for therapeutic purposes and without any significant rate of mind-altering side effects, you're legal.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

What if your RX drugs just slow your reaction time, as well as your movements? You are neither goofy, uncoordinated, or very sleepy.

12. Phil1979

RX drugs and their effect will be used more and more as a carrier medium to infiltrate and erode our rights. Already, there is talk about loosening Hippa laws.

13. Thumper21b

Thumper21b New Member

Not just the Rx, but if you had a therapist as a child, or perhaps an abusive parent, traumatic event, depression, money trouble etc. You must be a ptsd nut job and want to kill everyone.

14. Phil1979

That is the narrative more and more. Before you know it, just getting a divorce will put you under additional scrutiny and require a 30 day waiting period to buy a firearm.

15. MadisonCountyGa

MadisonCountyGa Member

OK. Thanks for the interpretation/clarification from someone that speaks all that legal jargon better than I.

16. pml

pml Active Member

The problem Atlanta found was that some of their work force was high on legal drugs (prescribed legally or not), and they have had the same language in their code for drug testing for quite a while. Probably was the source for that language.