Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for an outdoor range which allows for setting up targets other than standard paper targets.

Does anyone know of a place like this in NE Georgia? I’m located in Gwinnett county so I’m preferably looking for something within a 45-60 min drive.

Ideally I’d like to set up some steel targets and would be looking to shoot pistol, 22LR, .556 and maybe shotgun.

Thanks!

· Registered
221 Posts
Id like to find a range like the one in this video by CN.
I know the vid is about the gun review, but when I saw the range I was just struck about how cool it looked.
I think he's in TX tho, sigh.
Whatcha think?
E

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Id like to find a range like the one in this video by CN.
I know the vid is about the gun review, but when I saw the range I was just struck about how cool it looked.
I think he's in TX tho, sigh.
Whatcha think?
E
Must be far west Texas (in the desert), because of the tires. Anywhere that gets regular rainfall you would be unable to shoot accurately because you'd be swatting damned Skeeters, Maybe that's why his skin was so oily because of a generous application of Skeeter repellent.

Anyway SWGA Shooting Association has an outstanding rifle steel plate range out to 430 yds, and a steel plate pistol range

· Lawyer and Gun Activist
30,174 Posts
BTS-- As for you setting up your own targets and designing your own course no I don't know of any such place.

But, if you're interested in three-gun action shooting that includes human silhouette targets and steel plates both round and rectangular, you could come out to an organized match at some outdoor gun club. Even if you don't think you'll win any prize, think of it as a training opportunity with somebody operating a stopwatch and keeping track of your score.

Riverbend Gun Club in Dawsonville, and the South River gun club in Conyers are places that I've been to and seen these types of events going on while I was there for a different type of match (three position highpower rifle shooting.)

30,174 Posts
Lawrenceville Georgia, in the middle of Gwinnett county, is not within 60 minutes drive to Valdosta. (the original poster requested no more than a 60 minute drive from his home in Gwinnett county).

Instead it's about a 5 Hour drive each way covering 250 miles!

· Registered
3,581 Posts
Riverbend allows for personal steel targets on some of their ranges. I know I’ve seen people bring their own for .22 on the 100 yard range. They have a steel range from about 250 yards to 500m. That’s probably less than an hour from you.

Go to the site and look at rules under documents

30,174 Posts
Riverbend is a private, members-only facility when it comes to practicing and doing your own training. If you're not a member or coming as a guest of a member who is with you, then you're limited to attending regularly scheduled matches.

That's how I go to RiverBend a few times a year ---as a "competitor" in a "match."

Photograph Plant Travel Tree Luggage and bags
Plant Machine gun Sunglasses Baseball cap Grass

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
FWIW, Virginia is closer to NE Georgia than Valdosta…
If you want to come on up.

From Atlanta up 85 to Greensboro NC, then north on 29. It will take about 7 hours depending on your driving habits and what part of GA you start from.

Nemo

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
If you want to go up 75 to 81 I am sure you could find a fair number about all the way to the MD border.

Of course that would be about 625 miles (about 9 1/2 hours) from Atlanta if you went all the way. But I am sure there are several in the Bristol, Marion, Christiansburg area which would be about the same as the 85/29 route.

Nemo

· Registered
10,560 Posts
If you want to go up 75 to 81 I am sure you could find a fair number about all the way to the MD border.

Of course that would be about 625 miles (about 9 1/2 hours) from Atlanta if you went all the way. But I am sure there are several in the Bristol, Marion, Christiansburg area which would be about the same as the 85/29 route.

Nemo
85 to 77 is faster and more direct.

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
That's a loooooong way from Northeast Georgia

Thats why I invited you all to Southside and Central Va.

But there are more around here (and just read without commenting) and some of them live south of the gnat line.

Nemo

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
85 to 77 is faster and more direct.
77 hits 81 at mile mark 85 or close to that. It puts you 50 to 80 miles north and have to head back down. But you can turn off and take a nice scenic drive through some of the Blue Ridge and Southside.

Nemo

· Registered
3,709 Posts
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the CMP range over in Talladega. Maybe 2 hours from Atlanta and a truly world-class facility. Not in the state of Georgia, but pretty close and open to the public. You have to watch a short safety video and you are good for a year. They are very strict on chamber flags and where you point your weapon, but they have pretty much any type of range available. You have to qualify on the 100 yd before they turn you lose to shoot longer ranges. It's off I-20 right behind the big race track. Not recommended to go during a race weekend.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts