Out of total boredom comes this question:

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by AV8R, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have no clue.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. You're an idiot.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't drink and God should smite you for asking this question!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Do you think I could win a lawsuit against the state of Georgia by claiming that prohibited beer sales on Sundays is a violation of church and state?

Yes, I am serious... in a really whacked out tongue in cheek sort of fashion. :drink:

2. merlock

merlock Active Member

I don't think you'd win that one. :x

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You would not win. Technically, they are not banning alcohol sales on sunday for religious reasons. It is hard to prove that the ban is for religious reasons even though we all know it is.

This is a problem for the legislature, not the courts I'm afraid. If the people don't like it they need to contact the members of the General Assembly and request a change.

4. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

The religious angle is irrelevant. It's an improper violation of merchant's rights. A store should be able to sell whatever, whenever.

5. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

So lobby and get a legislator to propose a bill to rescind the ban on Alcohol sales on Sunday.

Then when all the religious people come out of the woodwork to protest it you can bring up the part about how religion has no business in politics and *ahem* business.

It would be fun to watch at the very least.

6. Claire

Claire New Member

alcohol sales = lots of taxes to the state -- correct?

so let 'em sell alcohol on Sunday & with all the extra sales from alcohol our gas prices should get lowered ;)

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

As are the laws the prohibit businesses from opening on Sunday until after church lets out...

:devil:

8. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

Even though we all know that's the only reason it is on the books you wouldn't be able to win. It'd be easier to win on the basis of business rights. I never understand that crap anyways. The same people who propose/prop-up the sunday alcohol sale ban are the same ones who sponsor the anti-gun bans. Neither one of them are effective against what they are intended to stop, usually the opposite is the case. It is nothing more than feel good legislation.

9. Wiley

Wiley Guest

You ask two different questions. First, you ask is it, the answer is of course it is. Then you ask could you win a suit, the answer is of course not.

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

The 21st amendment give the states the power to regulate the sale of alcohol. So it is not unconstitutional.

A little history is in order. The constitution did not bar states from regulating alcohol sales. Prohibition baned all sales. When prohibition was repealed the states were given express powers to regulate and completly ban the sale of alcohol.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.amendmentxxi.html

Its a legislative problem. Write your rep.

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yes most Blue laws have been overturned, but the states have express constitutional power to regulate the sale of alcohol.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

werd.

13. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

1) I don't think you could prove it was for religion reasons.

2) The law does not bother me since I can buy booze on base on Sundays and it's cheaper than out in town anyway. :twisted:

14. Wiley

Wiley Guest

OK, try to change the day to Wednesday. If there is no reaction then your point is proven.

I think the reaction would be loud, long and from pulpits.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

alcohol makes the baby jesus cry

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I thought most blue laws were done away with through the legislative process, not overturned. Were most actually overturned or just changed?

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Ur a speshul gov't tipe, fourgot. :wink:

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Not the Jesus I know.

19. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but is he legal?

20. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

USMCR I could buy alcohol on base on sundays??? I never knew that. I don't drink much but sometimes I have folks over for dinner and want to get some beers for em...