Out of state off limits question

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by dsklajic, Nov 16, 2010.

1. dsklajic

dsklajic New Member

As many of you know, I now live in Texas, but I am using my GFL, as it is still valid, and recognized by this state. Not a problem, already have several encounters with LE.

However, I know while in TX, I have to obey their laws regarding carry. Texas does not have a public places or church restriction. So, if I am following the logic, I can indeed carry in those places in Texas, even though the GFL does not allow it in Georgia.

2. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

3. dsklajic

dsklajic New Member

That IS a great flier!! By the way, I have not yet seen a 30.06 sign since I have been here. That is the Texas state legal notification that must be posted on the front of private property (churches fall into this category) if the owners wish to prohibit carry. I was told that Applebees had a blanket 30.06 policy, but so many Texans got upset that they rescinded. The only thing I don't like is no open carry. :(

4. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You follow the rules of the state you are in. You don't worry about GA's off-limits locations while in TX. You don't worry about TX's off-limits locations while in GA.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

By "public place" I assume you are talking about GA's old "public gathering" law.

The "public gathering" law was repealed in GA on 04 June 2010. :righton:

"Places of worship" remain off-limits in GA though. :cry:

6. dsklajic

dsklajic New Member

That is what I meant. I am a little scared of trying to go to an event where they are likely to search me on entrance (like a concert) because I will have to convince the rent-a-guard that my GFL is valid here.

7. Tex06

Tex06 New Member

I've got a Texas CCL, be careful with concerts. A lot of them will post the 30.06 in an out of the way place where it's hard to see. Even if it's not posted, if the owner of a property or a representative of the owner asks you to leave the premises and you don't do so IMMEDIATELY, they have reason to have you arrested for trespassing or armed trespass or something like that. That means if you do carry into a concert and they ask you to leave, turn around and take you gun back to the car. Do not ask why, don't argue, just go.

I had to take a class on the carry laws of Texas in order to get my permit and the instructor told us a few horror stories about improperly posted 30.06 signs and owners who had called the cops on him. Read the laws so you don't get caught doing something illegal inadvertently.

****ALSO****
    If you get pulled over and asked for identification by a peace officer (cop, state trooper, etc) you MUST tell him you are carrying and present him with your carry card before you give him your license, or anything else. Most cops are pretty cool about it, but the state troopers will harass ya if you give them your license then the CCL. Don't remember what the penalty is for not doing it but it was a biggie.

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

1. includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    2. appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    3. is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... osting.htm

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I've read that there isn't a penalty anymore but I do not know.