Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a lot of trouble in my life and I feel the need to get away from everything for a while. I'm thinking for about a week. I'm planning on going out hiking. I still have my waterproof outer shell sleeping bag from the army that I'll be bringing with me. I'm also taking a flash light, my bible, my gun and some water bottles. I only have enough water bottles for about 2 gallons of water. I don't have anything I can take with me to munch on, but I know it takes about a month to die from starvation. Takes about a week without water to die of dehydration. Who knows I might even lose track of time and stay out longer. My concerns are finding out if there are any places in clayton county/henry county (i live pretty much on the border near moreland avenue) that are public areas where I could essentially bivouac without getting into trouble (since i'll also be packing).

Also, any other tips anyone has for my one week excursion. Thanks in advance guys.
 

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
12,001 Posts
nfantre2003 said:
I've had a lot of trouble in my life and I feel the need to get away from everything for a while. I'm thinking for about a week. I'm planning on going out hiking. I still have my waterproof outer shell sleeping bag from the army that I'll be bringing with me. I'm also taking a flash light, my bible, my gun and some water bottles. I only have enough water bottles for about 2 gallons of water. I don't have anything I can take with me to munch on, but I know it takes about a month to die from starvation. Takes about a week without water to die of dehydration. Who knows I might even lose track of time and stay out longer. My concerns are finding out if there are any places in clayton county/henry county (i live pretty much on the border near moreland avenue) that are public areas where I could essentially bivouac without getting into trouble (since i'll also be packing).

Also, any other tips anyone has for my one week excursion. Thanks in advance guys.
For food, at least bring protein bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
You'll need to get away from Henry/Clayton to be considered in the wilderness :lol:

You don't have anyone you know with some land where you could spend a few days? I don't pretend to know your circumstances, but maybe a private area would serve you better in your current situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I mainly want to be somewhere away from civilization, but if all I can get is a spot in the woods then that's fine. I just want to make sure I can find a spot that is not on private property. I don't mind walking to the spot if I have to. I would at least prefer it be within a days walk of where I live. I would think anywhere within a 40 mile radius is fine.

edit*** I do have a family member with some land down south, but it would be more than a days walk for me. If I have to I guess I could walk all that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,006 Posts
You need to consider that you will get very hungry. Also, you need to find afriend to talk to....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
Your post is too much sounding like an end of life, Native American drill. I've been there, and done that. Don't let depression consume you. Reach out, and ask for help. The day may well come when I decide to walk off into the hills (I'm Choctaw), but this sounds messed up. PM me, and I'll come get you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've considered turning this into a fasting period for myself, that's why i'm not so worried about food. For religious purposes. There's only one person I need to talk to right now, which is the whole reason I'm going out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
nfantre2003 said:
I've considered turning this into a fasting period for myself, that's why i'm not so worried about food. For religious purposes. There's only one person I need to talk to right now, which is the whole reason I'm going out.
Talk to me! PM sent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
Maybe check with Panola Mountain State Park (off HWY 155) or Arabia Mountain ( Klondike Rd) ? Don't know if they allow overnite camping. There's also a campground off Jodeco Rd right off of I-75. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CountryGun said:
Your post is too much sounding like an end of life, Native American drill. I've been there, and done that. Don't let depression consume you. Reach out, and ask for help. The day may well come when I decide to walk off into the hills (I'm Choctaw), but this sounds messed up. PM me, and I'll come get you!
I can admit that I am depressed. A lot, but I'm not suicidal or anything. I still have a wife and a few family members that care about me. I'm still a "fresh" Christian and I haven't really dedicated much time to my faith or to my creator. I figure this is a good chance to get out, refocus my priorities, and get a one on one with Him. Maybe i'm in this bad rut because I've ignored Him too long. I forget which psalm it is, but it's said in the bible that if you love your child you will discipline him. Perhaps this is the spank on the butt I need from God to get me on the right track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CountryGun said:
nfantre2003 said:
I've considered turning this into a fasting period for myself, that's why i'm not so worried about food. For religious purposes. There's only one person I need to talk to right now, which is the whole reason I'm going out.
Talk to me! PM sent.
I'm not seeing a pm. do I click on new messages at the top left near the logout?
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
nfantre2003 said:
CountryGun said:
nfantre2003 said:
I've considered turning this into a fasting period for myself, that's why i'm not so worried about food. For religious purposes. There's only one person I need to talk to right now, which is the whole reason I'm going out.
Talk to me! PM sent.
I'm not seeing a pm. do I click on new messages at the top left near the logout?
Yep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mountainpass said:
that's about 60 miles away from where I live. If I kept the EIB standard I could get there in about 15 hours of non-stop walking. Locus Grove would be closer. My grandmother owns some land down there. My problem is figuring out how to walk down there without getting on the highway. Isn't it illegal for pedestrians to walk along highways?
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
nfantre2003 said:
mountainpass said:
that's about 60 miles away from where I live. If I kept the EIB standard I could get there in about 15 hours of non-stop walking. Locus Grove would be closer. My grandmother owns some land down there. My problem is figuring out how to walk down there without getting on the highway. Isn't it illegal for pedestrians to walk along highways?
Only along interstates. I love walking places. Maybe try to hitch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
You could try the WMA that's up in Paulding County. It's somethink like 20,000 acres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Panola Mountain is your best bet. And given you'll be walking in and (presumably) keeping a low profile, it really shouldn't matter what the "rules" are.

And as noted, no pedestrians on the Interstate, otherwise you're good to go.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top