Ott Gun Works

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by GMC713, Nov 16, 2010.

1. GMC713

GMC713 New Member

Add me to the growing list of satisfied customers. Had a 1911 in need of a really good cleaning and some new night sites and my hunting rifle that needed a little cosmetic work. Done fast and done right!! Brian is awesome and worth the drive from anywhere. Great to talk to as well for those "projects" in your head.

Thanks Brian

Greg C

2. Jason F

Jason F Member

Greg-

Did you pick up your weapons on Tuesday? Moved down from NY, right?

I was the guy who was already in there with Brian, dropping off a Kimber for an overhaul. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, I normally would.

I can't wait to get that Kimber back. I know Brian's going to do great work on it!

3. GMC713

GMC713 New Member

Hey Jason, yeah that was me!

4. jklotz

jklotz New Member

I'm looking for new sights on my IDPA gun. I think I'll give him a shot. No pun intended. Well, maybe a little ;)

5. railin93

railin93 New Member

does he have the ability to mill new sight dovetails?...have a GI Rock i want some good sights on but i wanna keep my money local and to a good shop...want some other things done too but that's on condition of gunsmith and price

6. Docindahouze

Docindahouze Member

He does not mill dovetails because he does not have the equipment, hopefully one day he will get the machines to do such things.

7. Jason F

Jason F Member

I got my Kimber back today (well, not mine for long- I'm giving it to my brother for Christmas). It looks fantastic! He did a really great job, especially considering the nice hack job someone had done on the rear end prior to my ownership.

Below is a quick after shot that I shot with my cell phone right after I picked it up- I'll get some better pictures in a few days.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

8. direwolfe

direwolfe New Member

I too am a satisfied customer of Ott’s gun works.

I took my Springfield 1911a1 to him because it was having trouble extracting spent casings. Brian diagnosed the problem as a weak extractor and we agreed that the best remedy would be a Wilson bulletproof extractor, I also had the internals polished and a few other modifications made at the same time.

Brian gave me a quote for the work and told me how long it would take. He completed the work faster than he estimated and for less than the price he quoted.

I used that pistol to shoot an IDPA meet earlier this month and it ran perfectly.

I will defiantly be returning to Ott’s gun works for all my future gunsmithing needs

9. The Math Teacher

The Math Teacher New Member

I think everyone who has ever let Brian do something to a gun has been pleased.
    :righton:

10. ga_trucklvr

ga_trucklvr Member

Take a look at this website - http://www.kensight.com

Toll-free 1-800-848-4671

This manufacturer is local to Metro Atlanta (Fulton Ind. Blvd. area). They moved a lot of their production BACK to the USA last summer and have milling equipment on sight.

(This is in no way intended to to take anything away from the quality of Ott Gun Works. Just recommending another source for sights and other needs that is a local manufacturer)

11. js415

js415 Active Member

Brian has my brand new, never fired, G19 OD in his shop right now.

He is doing a little "cosmetic" work on it that I thought would look neat.

I should get it back around the first of January, and I will be sure and post some pics when I get it back.

He told me his son was coming in from Germany, and was going to spend the holidays with him. I hope they are having a great time.

Jerry

12. Jason F

Jason F Member

I just have to show off some better pictures of the work that Brian did for me on this Kimber that I'll be giving as a gift. I'm thrilled to give this to my brother now, he did FANTASTIC work on this.

Here's one to show you a good idea of what the color looks like in person, just holding it in available light....
    [​IMG]

Got to love the look of the blacked out upper- including the barrel, barrel bushing, etc. I had the upper completely blacked and it looks fantastic!
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty dang sharp with the VZ Operator grips on it (they're not quite as aggressive as the Operator II's I have on my carry pistol)
    [​IMG]

Right side of the frame- here you can see the blackout look well.
    [​IMG]

Showing off the new bobtail
    [​IMG]

13. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

Great Pictures Jason! I hope your brother likes it.

14. Bobo

Bobo New Member

Looks beautiful. Times like this make me wish I had a brother.

Glad to see Ott Gun Works is close to me.

15. luangtom

luangtom Active Member

Brian did work on three different S&W revolvers for me. ALL of the work was great. His most recent endeavor bobbed the hammer on my Model 65-6 and made it DAO for me. I am happy with all of his work. It was well worth the hour drive. :righton:

16. js415

js415 Active Member

I just traded into a Kimber Pro Carry, that started out in black.

It has some holster wear and is looking "well used", if I decide to keep it, this gives me an idea!!!

How long does a finish like that last on the frame and slide? Any ideas?

Jerry

17. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

How much it wears really depends on how you use it, what you carry it in, and how well you take care of it. A range gun would keep looking good for a very long time. A daily carry will show more wear, how much depends on what you carry it, Kydex holsters are harder on finishes then leather and will start to show holster wear before a leather or nylon, but an old dirty leather ot nylon holster will start to act like sandpaper if a bunch of grit is emedded into it. Any of the coatings will last longer than the bluing that is used in today's manufacturing processes.

18. js415

js415 Active Member

Good info.

I'm probably going to be seeing you soon anyhow, so I might let you have it for a while, and make it all nice and shiny again :D

Jerry