Other states have Military exemption?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by GAGunOwner, Jul 20, 2006.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

In Alabama, the only place off limits for permit holders is a public demonstration. Thus, no particular need for special treatment in off-limit places. That is as it should be, by the way.

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Not true. Many of the permits issued in Alabama are restricted. The Alabama system needs serious improvement

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

By restricted, he means that Alabama is a may issue state. The local Sheriff isssues the license, and he puts on the back of it whatever he wants, along with a phone number. If he puts "no carry in public buildings or WalMart, and you are caught in either of those places, the officer calls the number in the license and the Sheriff revokes the firearms license.

No criminal charge is made, but you can lose the license.

Not all licenses are so restricted, but people may be afraid to carry in some areas anyway for fear of losing their license at the whim of the Sheriff (I have heard this first hand from lawyers with firearms licenses in Alabama who say they would never carry into a courthouse for this very reason).

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

On the other hand it makes Alabama a great place to visit. :D

5. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I never knew that about the Sheriffs imposing their own pet restrictions. As a GA resident, who enjoys reciprocity with AL, I carry everywhere there all the time on my frequent business visits. I take it that's what you mean by 'nice place to visit'. Presumably, as one has not violated any law, there can be no effect on your GA license.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Upon further reflection, seems to me that any Sheriff in AL who did too much of this for too many picayune places would not fare well at the ballot box. Still, the technical 'may issue' is not as good as it could be.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

People in Alabama are afraid to challenge anything the Sheriffs do for fear of losing their license.

They are afraid to lobby for Shall issue because they are afraid it will come with Georgia-style restrictions. Or so it is with every Alabaman who has spoken to me on the subject.

Afraid, afraid, afraid.

8. kkennett

kkennett New Member

MP, that is a shame. To wit, "One man with courage is a majority."