Other States Allow Carry in Places Off Limits

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Mike from Philly gathered the following information for us.

Of the 38 Right To Carry States:

71% allow carrying in Restaurants that serve alcohol (27 states)

45% allow carrying in Bars (17 states)

74% allow carrying at sporting and entertainment events (28 states)

71% allow carrying in places of worship (27 states)

84% allow carrying at demonstrations, picket lines, and political rallies (32 states)

74% allow carrying in public buildings like libraries, tag offices, etc. (28 states)

16% allow carrying within a school buildings (6 states)

89% allow carrying on mass-transit (34 states)

Current Georgia law criminalizes carrying a firearm in every one of these locations, in addition to parking lots of these locations and several other places not mentioned above, such as WMAs and State Parks (although state park carry was proposed in HB 799 but not voted upon).

I hope you don't mind me posting your work here, Mike, but I did not want this information to be lost.
    :)

2. Malum Prohibitum

Mike, is the backup for this online somewhere? This ought to be a link on the web site so that anyone can access the info . . .

3. Woody_the_Infidel

Woody_the_Infidel New Member

Any hopes of getting any of that changed here yet?

4. Malum Prohibitum

One day, maybe one of us will have the time to add to this list. How many states keep state parks off limits, for instance?

Non-secure area of airports? Airport parking lots?

I bet Georgia is the only place that makes the "reasonable area" around a bus stop on a public sidewalk off limits.

5. Malum Prohibitum

I wanted to add the comment that the "may issue" states mostly do not have these off limits areas. California has no areas off limits, and if you are outside of LA or San Fran or Oakland or an area like that, the county Sheriffs are basically shall-issue.

Mike, maybe the info should reflect that - if you have not already done it I would be willing to assist.

Also, there are now 40 or 41 ??? right to carry states. (I am including Alabama in my number of 40 or 41 because everybody says it is shall issue in spite of the discretionary nature of the statute - nobody has even heard of somebody being denied without a valid reason).

That number may be higher before the year is out.

6. Malum Prohibitum

OK:

Kansas = 39 "shall issue" states, and

Nebraska = 40 "shall issue" states.

I think that is it.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Odd, I don't remember ever seeing this topic.

I have the information for state park carry. I will see if I can update it and post the results.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Might check your email over the last few days.

I think Mike may have already sent you the state park data?

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

John's had some park data in it but I dont remember Mikes having it... (which is why I combined mine with Mikes, we somehow managed to not look up the same info twice)

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

38 RTC states

53% allow carry on state parks (20 states) (4 RTC states are unknown, AZ, ID, LA, and SD)

Of the 12 non-RTC states 7 allow it and the other 5 are unknown

11. Malum Prohibitum

89% allow carry on mass transit

Why is this the crime of hijacking in Georgia?

12. Malum Prohibitum

What is legal in 89% of other states is a felony in Georgia punishable by 10 years in prison . . .

O.C.G.A. 16-12-123 (b):

Any person who boards or attempts to board an aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle with any . . . firearm . . . or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense concealed on or about his or her person or property which is or would be accessible to such person while on the aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten years.

:jail:

:shakehead:

:roll:

13. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I wonder if any of the folks that made mass transit off limits would consider getting on a bus in Atlanta or Macon unarmed. It's no wonder that mass transit is only used by folks that can't afford a car.

14. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

hey now! ;) While there are lots of people on MARTA that may not be able to afford a car, many of us just use MARTA b/c it's convenient. Actually, if carrying in my workplace were not considered a felony, I would ditch MARTA, pay the outrageous parking fees at my workplace, and fight the traffic for an hour and a half just to be able to carry. In the meantime, I'll keep on working and do my best to make my career change happen ;) (i'm gettin' close)

But yeah, the law is stupid. I meet lots of "interesting characters" on MARTA from time to time. I'd bet there are lots of guns on MARTA with some of these people.

I sometimes get frustrated when I see some of the MARTA cops carrying on the train and I'm like, "what makes this person so powerful as to be able to have a gun when I am just as capable, if not more!" :roll:

15. Malum Prohibitum

What, no metal detectors yet? :D

16. Malum Prohibitum

Well, Florida used to have State Parks off limits, but not anymore! Gov. Bush signs legislation . . .
    http://www.packing.org/news/articleview/153/

17. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

By my review of packing.org "places off limits" per state, only GA, MS, NM, NC, and TN have parks or state parks off limits.

18. Malum Prohibitum

GS1, if you had Indiana as State Parks Off Limits, change it! The Governor is going to sign an Executive Order Friday evening to take Indiana State Parks off the No Carry list.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=2436

19. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

One of my coworkers saw an exposed pistol stuck in the waistband of one of his fellow MARTA commuters a few weeks ago. He reported it to a MARTA Police officer at the next stop who didn't seem terribly concerned. Yesterday, I saw what looked very much like the butt of a pistol printing through someone's shirt as they walked up the steps at a MARTA station.

Yet, there I was, disarmed for my safety...

20. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

can I post that at georgiacarry.org?