Oregon Dems rethinking minimum wage

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by bdee, Jun 10, 2016.

1. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Looks like they wrote this legislation far too quickly, and are scrambling to fix it.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahba...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

How about we hand out H-2a and H-2b visas at the border, make them exempt from the minimum wage. H visas are ineligible for SS, and are legally prohibited from applying for any sort of welfare.

Employers would be happy, and anyone opposed to illegal immigration would be happy with this solution.

2. phaed

phaed Active Member

how about you let the market be free?

3. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

How does the current law not get challenged on equal protection. Why does one geographical area get better pay than the others in the same state by law.

4. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

If the end goal is to create a living wage, and it costs far less in rural Oregon than Portland. The wage wouldn't need to be as high to generate that living wage.

But the biggest complaints are coming from hotels, restaurants, and farms. But there is a solution for that. Hire 'legal' immigrants under seasonal work visas, H-2a or H-2b. They pay taxes, aren't eligible for social security or any other welfare, and are only subject to the federal minimum wage, which is at $7.25/hr.

I am suggesting that you make seasonal workers exempt from any minimum wage at all. You could bring jobs back to America, you would make employers all over the country happy, and you wouldn't receive any objections from anyone whose major complaint is illegal immigration, because they'd all be legally here.

5. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Minimum Wage Inequality Gap

:groupprotest:

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I am suggesting that there be no "minimum wage" for anybody except what they themselves decide they are willing to accept. As phaed said, why not let the free market be free.

The first line from my speech announcing I was running for office back in 2011 was "Free markets make free men." No wonder I lost in a landslide. I should have probably announced some freebies and controls.

7. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I too support a $0 minimum wage.

8. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

I am sorry you lost, I am sure you would have been a very good representative. However, the majority of people in this country want more government, not less. And that is irrespective of conservative or liberal, Republican or Democrat.

So folks on the right are clamoring for the government to do something about illegal immigration, and folks on the left are doing the same about the minimum wage.

I am suggesting a fix for both. Make it real easy for people to come to this country legally by handing out H-2a and H-2b visas at the border. They would be here legally and could not get any of the welfare those on the right are so worried about. And you give the illusion that you're doing something about creating a 'living wage'.

I mean, you can talk about the minimum wage, and Clinton wants to raise it somewhere between $12-15/hr. Trump wants it to go higher than that. Clinton wants immigration reform allowing many more immigrants to come in legally, Trump wants to drastically reduce the number of illegal immigrants.

How about a solution where both sides can claim a victory, and not one mention of raising taxes.

9. CoffeeMate

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWNho8g0lsU[/ame]

10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That's racist! But it'll work a lot better than $15 an hour to flip a damn burger.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

How about we stop handling out work visas period? All of them.

12. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

Because you'd have major shortages in almost every single industry. America simply doesn't produce enough skilled workers to fill all the jobs needed. Our education system doesn't train people for the jobs out there. We don't produce enough doctors, nurses, engineers, plumbers, electricians, teachers, etc

Now we have plenty of people for unskilled jobs, like busboys, farm workers and janitors, but Americans don't want to do those jobs.

We seriously need to start weeding out kids beginning in middle school. Starting from around 6th grade, once they have basic reading and math skills, start transitioning them into vocational training. Teach them to be framers, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, etc. By the time they are 18, they are fully capable of stepping into any jobsite.

It helps the more academically inclined students where you teachers wouldn't have to teach to the lowest common denominator. They could then teach the kids that want to be in school rather than babysit those that don't.

13. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Fixing a government-mandated wage by adding in another government-mandated wage is not exactly "rethinking" minimum wage.

14. CoffeeMate

They admit they haven't gotten it "just right" yet. A few more decades of tweaking and economic collapse and they'll still be looking to get it "just right". The fundamental approach couldn't be the problem.

[/sarcasm]

15. phaed

phaed Active Member

government mandated careers...what a great idea.

:pointlol:

16. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

And a million anchor babies....

17. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

No such thing, they are as American as you are or I am. There are no second class citizens.

Sad that it is even a thing.