Oregon: Ballot Initiative Filed to Ban Common Semi-Auto Firearms & Standard Capacity Magazines

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by tmoore912, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Sounds like they need some open carry marches carrying "Molon Labe" signs.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

3. Malum Prohibitum

Same news link:
    The initiative was sparked by the recent spate of school shootings, said one of the petitioners, Pastor Mark Knutson of the Augustana Lutheran Church in Portland.

"Young people in this country are crying out," Knutson told the Associated Press. "This is the moment in time where we need to step alongside them as adults and do our part with them."

The group intends to tap the same young Oregonians that have been marching in recent protests against gun violence to help circulate the petition for signatures.

Post said he didn't expect the initiative petition to be successful, and noted that no Democratic leaders had voiced support of the proposal.

"This got zero comment or help from anybody in Oregon's Democratic leadership," Post said. "The reason they're not supporting this is that they're not stupid. They know this would bring out the greatest red wave of votes in Oregon history."
    Keep in mind this is the same state where Democrats refuse to ban guns in elementary and high schools. No wonder the Democrats are treating this as a hot potato.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

This is an instance where the IRS should be investigating the pastor and his tax exempt status as he is advocating for legislative change from within a tax exempt organization......

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

So Yankee Oregon Democrats maintain the freedom of licensed carriers to carry their firearms in K-12 schools, but Georgia Republicans make it a misdemeanor for us.

Maybe Georgia should switch to the other party? Or perhaps we get a bunch of Oregonians to migrate here to teach our Republican law-makers about liberty???

6. Malum Prohibitum

Politics in pacific northwestern states are very different from politics in the south. A lot less "group" identity.

janedoedad likes this.
  7. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

POLITICS

Overwhelming objection to Oregon assault weapon ban ballot title
    According to the Secretary of State, 1,060 comments on Initiative Petition 43 were submitted in the two-week open comment period that ended May 8.

Author: Connor Radnovich, Statesman Journal
    Published: 7:32 AM PDT May 11, 2018
    Updated: 8:18 AM PDT May 11, 2018
    SALEM, Ore. -- In the largest public response to a ballot title in recent memory, the state received more than 1,000 comments decrying the description of an initiative to restrict the sale, production and ownership of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.

"No one can remember anywhere near the number of comments being received for any other (initiative petition)," said Deb Royal, chief of staff in the Secretary of State's office.

According to the Secretary of State, 1,060 comments on Initiative Petition 43 were submitted in the two-week open comment period that ended May 8. Another 35 were received after the comment period closed.

The most comments any other petition received this cycle was 10, Royal said.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  8. Malum Prohibitum

I'm disappointed it is only 1,060 comments. :(

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Most gun rights groups are good at asking their members to give them money, but piss-poor at drumming up support for grassroots activism. I like that GCO doesn't hound me for $$$ every month, and therefore I actually letters and e-mails that come from GCO.

Anything the NRA or SAF sends me goes straight into the trash. I know ahead of time with 99% certainty that there is nothing in there but some vague chest-thumping about how the end of gun ownership is right around the corner unless I open my wallet and renew several months early, or make a special pledge to this fund or that fund.

10. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Active Member

There is also the fact that organizing conservatives is like herding cats. Liberals generally have group mentalities so it's much easier

11. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

These are not comments on the proposal, they are comments on the biased wording that the Secretary of the State attached to the initiative.