Ordinary course of business?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by jccls, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jccls

jccls New Member

Hello,

I'm a UGA administrator, and I'm hoping that the question I have is answerable!

I have a GFL and work in a University building near the middle of campus. Part of the code pertaining to schools leads me to believe that I am entitled to keep my gun in my trunk (my glovebox doesn't lock) while I'm parked on university property and acting in the scope of my employment. Does this seem correct?

Also, I'm not sure about picking up friends (students) from the dorms. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the legality of keeping my gun in my trunk (or on my person) when I do that?

I'm trying to be real careful about this, as I don't have 10,000 and am not at all interested in serving 2-10. Any help you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JS

P.S. Here's the UGA weapons policy, if anyone is interested:

http://www.police.uga.edu/documents/uga ... policy.pdf

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Let's just say that I am glad you kept your anonymity when selecting a pseudonym.

3. Malum Prohibitum

This would help if you were merely passing through or if you were dropping off or picking up a student, in which case you could wear the gun openly on your belt, so long as you do not enter a publicly owned or operated building (different statute). Otherwise, your possession of a GFL is completely irrelevant.

Publicly owned or operated. "Work" is not one of the exceptions listed in the statute for bringing your gun into the building.

To which part do you refer? (c)(17) provides: "(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle." I would guess you are "other school personnel," so locking it in the trunk should suffice to satisfy the local constabulary.

That is probably ok so long as you do not enter a publicly owned or operated building. See subsection (c)(7). "(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 . . . when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property . . ." Be careful, though. They probably offer free classes to employees. If you take one, you become a "student," and this exemption goes away.

P.S. The "policy" of the school really does not matter much when there is a criminal felony attached to the conduct. Does it restrict you more than the state law?

P.S.S. See subsection (c)(6), which states that you are exempt if you are "(6) A person who has been authorized in writing by a duly authorized official of the school to have in such person's possession or use as part of any activity being conducted at a school building, school property, or school function a weapon which would otherwise be prohibited by this Code section. Such authorization shall specify the weapon or weapons which have been authorized and the time period during which the authorization is valid;"

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

MP:

I always enjoy reading your posts. Informative and entertaining. Thanks.

5. jccls

jccls New Member

Yeah, I'm not interested in anyone at the University even knowing I have a gun, much less that I have a GFL--most of them are anti-gun, knee-jerk reactionaries and would probably try to get me fired.

So you would say that, as a University of Georgia employee with no criminal background, etc., I am "otherwise authorized" to possess/carry weapons? My first thought was that this meant I had to get permission from the board of regents or something impossible like that, but as you pointed out, there is a section that states precisely that. So it would be kinda redundant if that was what (c)(17) was referring to, as well?

So it is okay to drive through a school safety zone with my gun on my belt, even if I'm not stopping for business in the zone? I hope so, as I live in between two schools, and it is literally impossible to avoid them if I want to go shopping/eating/etc.! :(

6. Malum Prohibitum

(1) I would say that "otherwise authorized" was added in to (c)(17)so all the felon employees of the school system could not bring their gun. :wink:

(2) I drive through school zones with a gun on my belt all the time, so I hope so.
    :jail:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Since you work at a college, I am just curiou whether you are a Mike Adams fan?

8. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I'm more curious as to if you can get me a good deal on Dawgs tickets for next season! :D

9. Malum Prohibitum

10. jccls

jccls New Member

:lol: Hehehe!

(But my first reaction after reading the quotes you posted was more like this):

:shock: :!: :?:

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. mmmTang

mmmTang New Member

So... just to be redundant, it appears as though it is lawful, as according to 16-11-127.1(c)17, for a teacher or other school personnel to take a firearm onto school property and leave said firearm in their car locked in a compartment or locked in a container, correct? I've read (c)17 over and over along with this thread, and I just want to get another response to confirm what I think to be true. I know we're not lawyers here, so I'm just looking for honest opinions.

If this is true, then I'm a happy guy b/c I'm faculty at GT.

13. mmmTang

mmmTang New Member

Oh, and Mike Adams is hilarious!

14. Malum Prohibitum

Mike Adams had some good articles on Georgia Tech! I bet you'd be happier if you could actually carry or did not have to lock it away. So, what does it take to start a GT chapter of GCO? :lol:

15. mmmTang

mmmTang New Member

And he's been correct on darn near everything. The college republicans not being funded b/c they're a political group while the gay & lesbian groups are funded while they're at least 50% political, the liberal administration's lack of a belief in freedom of speech, and there was at least another good one he had about GT. It's downright embarassing, but even GT can't seem to escape from liberal moonbats that make policy. Our president even has a plan to make the entire campus a walking campus so that we can be more green. The fact that the majority of the students and faculty live off campus and there's already a parking shortage has seemingly escaped him.

What all is involved with starting a GT chapter of GCO? There's a marksmanship club at GT that I'm talking to right now that I might be able to drum up some support from. And, yes I'd much rather not leave a weapon in the car. I can see the back of the GTPD building from my parking spot, but that doesn't provide much comfort.

Sorry for the hijack jccls! Sounds like we're in the same exact situation regarding carrying. I'd still like a couple other opinions on 16-11-127.1(c)17. 2-10 is just not something I'm very interested in.

16. Malum Prohibitum

If by opinions you mean other people posting their opinion here, that is just speculation. If by opinions you mean legal opinions, none exist of which I am aware, and I have pretty thoroughly researched school carry law in the past. The lackof any legal authority is why I say anybody giving their opinion is merely speculation. I would take the speculation of anybody posting here over your typical man in the street, but there is no legal authority about the provision, (c)(17), in the statute.

Therefore, any opinion is just people telling you what you can read for yourself.

(c)(17) is an exception that provides:

"(17) Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle."

17. tony218

tony218 New Member

does this mean a GFL?

Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons,

18. jccls

jccls New Member

The more discussion the better!

I wonder if the authors of our constitution by the second amendment meant the right to bear arms except when on school property and then you go to jail for 10 years and pay 10000... :roll: