Opinions please

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Wildcat, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

Looking at getting into the AR game. I am fairly handy with my hands/tools, and I would prefer saving some cash, so I am looking at building (or at least partially building). I would like some feedback on this kit from PSA. Thanks in advance.
    -Eric

2. MouserGun

MouserGun New Member

Opinions? This thread will be endless

3. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

I understand. I have been around here long enough to know that these types of threads can morph. I have been reading seeming endlessly the last few days and the abbreviations and "inside" knowledge is a bit overwhelming.

4. Dirty J

Dirty J BANNED (not really)

Unless you desire some very specific components for the rifle... You're probably better off just buying a built rifle.

There are tons of $500-600 complete guns out there.

S&W Sport. Radical Firearms. Aero Precision. PSA. All worth a look.

5. mark5019

mark5019 what me worry?

do a member search for loneoak in members
    hes a great person to get a build going
    does all my work

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Its from PSA. Its at least a reasonable quality rifle kit. And build it yourself. There is much difference and more personal satisfaction in firing a rifle you have bought and one you have built.

Nemo

7. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  8. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

Agree. And you know how it works on an intimate level.

9. phaed

phaed Active Member

my only opinion is that i'm glad to hear guys like you are still around, and that i think (from experience) that building your own AR is a great way to familiarize yourself with the weapon...and just plain fun. it's been a while though, and i can't recommend which pieces are better than what currently. ar15.com had a plethora of opinions regarding that back in the day, if you really care to weed through it all.

10. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I was looking in to building one also....till my brother had some financial trouble, so i just bought his Windham Weaponry AR15...he changed a few things on it....i like it though, made from the former employees of Bushmaster.

Nice rifle.

11. Nemo

And you can truly say, This is my rifle. There are many like it but This one is Mine.

Nemo

12. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Agreed. I'm no aficionado but I bought nearly the same thing, melonite freedom upper kits seem to be highly regarded on arfcom, and it's great knowing where every spring is and how it works.

When a friend had issues with his build, my having built one went a long way toward diagnosing the problem.

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yep I bought a Radical from Aim Surplus. Of course it won't matter if you build it or buy it you will change parts on it. There is a new trigger and stock waiting to be installed on mine.

14. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

So these kits are the entire gun, just saving money on the assembly?

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Most kits include everything but a stripped lower, rear sight, and magazine.

16. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

That is my assumption from what I see. It is also part of the reason I started the thread; I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that I should be aware of apart from what was stated above.

17. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

I love the idea of building my own AR also, but if it is still going to cost me $800 to do then I would just rather purchase a built one and practice breaking it down and reassembling to learn the ins and outs while knowing that I have a reliable build to start off.

18. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

That kit plus a lower would be between $472 and $535, with option of an Anderson lower ($52) or a Spikes lower ($115). (I picked two random lower makes.)

Add in a Magpul rear BUIS for $55, and a USGI mag for $10 and you can plink for $537 to $600.

19. GMan45ACP

GMan45ACP New Member

Aha, I am getting more interested in building my own again, thanks for the info.
    :cheers:

20. Nemo

Build it. Might not be as slick and pretty and smooth as the fancypants others out there but it will be yours and yours alone.

Nemo