opinion????

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tony218, Jun 19, 2006.

1. tony218

tony218 New Member

all politics aside, what do ya'll think of the s&w sw9ve?

i was going to add a pic. of the pistol but don't know how. sorry.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I have one I got used at one of the gun stores defending itself against Michael Bloomberg. Relatively inexpensive, reliable (no failures to fire, feed, or eject so far), accurate, and easy to operate. Simple, no frills. Decent gun. No complaints.

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

o.k., i've seen these at gun shows between $ 249.00-$ 309.00
    i love the way they look and feel. i'm still leary of the
    tupperware guns i have a s&w 469 that i've had for 23 yrs.
    it's in such good shape i don't want to carry it and hurt the finish.
    i think i'll pick up one of the sw9v's at the next gun show.
    thanks for your help, tony

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I would expect a gun show price to be better than even the bottom of that range. The one I bought was less (and at a gun store as I said), and it was in very good condition.

5. tony218

tony218 New Member

the one for 249.00 was not in ex. shape.
    the one for 309.00 was nib with 2 extra mags.
    i did see one for 279.00 that looked really good
    but only had one mag. how much are extra mags.
    i know for my 469 they range from 30.00 to 40.00
    each i think even 30.00 is a bit much.

6. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

For $30, go with NIB.

7. tony218

tony218 New Member

there is an eastman show coming to the farmers market
    in forest park this weekend.
    i will most likely go on sun. after church and see if i can
    still find one for that price. then go to the range next door
    and put a few rounds through it.
    any of you guys going this weekend???

8. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I'm going, Saturday.

I've heard the trigger on 9VE is less than impressive. Somewhere around 12 pounds and gritty. But this is anecdotal and if you like the gun, go for it!

9. tony218

tony218 New Member

let us know what you find.
    now i'm not sure if i'm going on sun. at all

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The original Sigmas had there problems, but the newer models with the frame rails seem to be very fine pistols. The only complaint about them seems to be that the triggers can be kind of heavy.

11. brianh

brianh New Member

SW9VE

The SW9VE is a remarkably and surprisingly fine pistol, given it's reputation and history. I bought one a few months ago (at the show at the Farmer's Market) as a 'bedside' pistol. After the first range session I came away impressed and remain so today.

First the bad news. The trigger. Yup, it's heavy. Travel is also surprisingly short and it stacks a bit just before letoff, so it's not as bad as most think. The trigger also smooths out a wee bit with use. Once you get used to it it really isn't that bad. Just different.

Here's the good news:

This is one very comfortable pistol to shoot. S&W crows a lot about the ergonomics and they are right. Hands down (pun intended) this is the most comfortable pistol I've ever held (and I've held a LOT).

Accuracy is very good. 2.5" groups at 25' using WWB FMJ. Sights are remarkably good Novak Lo-Mount copies.

Reliability is near 100%. I say 'near' because I had two FTFs within the first 200 rounds I put through this (new) gun. Since those two FTFs the pistol has been 100% reliable with both FMJ and HP loads (it stays stoked with CorBon 115gr JHPs).

This is an all stainless pistol so it's damned near maintenance free. Only a few bits are carbon steel, like the slide release.

Gripes? Two: 1. the 'accessory rail' isn't the current standard and only one manufacturer makes a tactical light for it. Changing the mounting rail to accept standard accessories would be an easy upgrade for S&W to execute. 2. Magazines are hard to find and expensive.

Bottom line: The SW9VE is a good, high quality pistol that can be had for a great price, and is made by a manufacturer who will stand behind the product.