Opinion Piece in the AJC

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Molon Labe, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Below is an opinion piece in the online AJC. I am posting the whole thing here because I know you need to register to read it. I downloaded the FBI Uniform Crime Report and spent an hour going through it. I could not find the stat below where they state that out of the 112 murders in Atlanta 73 were committed with a firearm. Maybe I missed it. Can someone else see if they can find it?

Lawmakers are pushing a slew of gun bills this session with the goal of making it easier to own, carry and use a gun in Georgia, even in the Capitol itself. Apparently, these legislators come from hellish corners of the state where it's dangerous to drive to the Piggly Wiggly without a pistol propped on your lap.
    If you believe the outlandish rhetoric at the Legislature, high school graduates in the state ought to be issued Glocks at graduation because they won't be safe making their way in the world unless they're armed, able to bring their guns to work and allowed to fire at the first provocation.
    •

Most Georgians don't live in the violence-soaked world described by the legislators. And easier access to guns doesn't protect people.
    Georgia has the most lenient gun laws in the country, and suffers higher rates of gun deaths as a result. In Atlanta, for example, 73 of the 112 murders and 1,717 of the 3,116 robberies last year involved a firearm, according to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports.
    HB 1001 permits the transport of "an unloaded or loaded firearm . . . in any location in the motor vehicle." The law now says guns must be "fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console." The bill's authors contend that owners ought to be able to tuck their guns under or between the seats of their cars, if they so choose.
    The bill should be called the "Georgia police endangerment" bill because a traffic officer who pulls over a motorist and gets in an argument won't realize that the person is casually dropping his hand between the seats to grab a gun.
    Next on the loony list is HB 998, "Georgia's Self-Defense Act." This intrusion on private property rights gives employees the right to bring their guns to work and leave them in their cars in company-owned parking lots. Many private employers oppose the bill, saying they must be able to set the rules for their own parking lots to protect their workplaces.
    Then, there's the "stand your ground" bill, SB 396, which entitles people to shoot anyone they perceive as a threat, even when they could have chosen to call law enforcement or simply retreat.
    "As a gun owner, I don't think we should be passing laws that encourage use of guns to settle disputes," says state Rep. Tom Bordeaux (D-Savannah). "We are telling people to stand and fight, to prove their manhood by gunning it out. That's not what I'm teaching my kids, so I don't know why we would want to put that message into law."
    Watching the introduction of one extreme gun bill after the other in the General Assembly, Bordeaux says: "This is boys gone wild down here."
    If HB 1044 passes, they won't just be wild down at the Legislature; they'll be armed. The bill proposes to add part-time judges and legislators, both past and present, to the list of Georgians permitted "to carry pistols in publicly owned or operated buildings."
    Given the rancor at the Legislature, tour groups at the Capitol might consider flak jackets in the future.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So, you read this at lunch, too, huh?

SB 396 entitles people to shoot anybody they perceive as a threat!

Wow!

3. Malum Prohibitum

Thank you for wirting, your letter was successfully submitted.

yeah, we'll see.

Break out the pens (or keyboards as the case may be).

4. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Did my part..........

When will they learn....... these are the same people that live in the Ozzie and Harriett world of theirs. Media loves contrversy!

5. Malum Prohibitum

Hmmmm . . .

If I'd a known they was a gonna publish it, I'd a' put more thought into hows I was gonna write it.

If they call to verify authorship before publishing, does that guarantee they will run the letter?

If so, I might have gotten in my four or five sentences relating to the "stand your ground" issue.

6. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You have to know where to look. You see "last year" does not mean 2005 data, it means the information realeased in 2005. So you have to look at 2004 data.

In 2004 Atlanta had 112 reported cases of Murder and non-negligent man-slaughter and 3,116 reported robberies
    http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses ... 08.html#ga

Still looking for firearm totals...

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I did a search of the full UCF, the entire 500+ page .pdf.
    A search for "Atlanta" brought up the numbers I already found, no weapons totals for Atlanta.
    I specificly looked up the number "1717" and "1,717" and none of the results had anything to do with anyplace in Georgia.

The firearm breakdown for atlanta does not appear in the UCR.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Though I did find something interesting while looking. The UCR does say that out of the 14,121 murder victims in the US, 7 were killed by an employee and 10 were killed by their employer.

10. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

That was my point. I looked through the whole document and couldn't find the firearms stats. They wouldn't make it up....would they?

The other amusing aspect is that they write, "Georgia has the most liberal gun laws" Now that is funny. I thought Vermont or Alaska had the most liberal gun laws.

11. Malum Prohibitum

The AJC published my letter this morning!

They edited it down quite a bit, but the meat of it is still there.

:D

12. Sharky

Sharky New Member

trying to find your letter online Malum...

13. Malum Prohibitum

I can't help you with the online version. It is, however, in the print version today.

:D <---- My big grin . . .

14. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

It's one of the last ones in the online version of todays letters.

15. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Very nice, Very nice!

16. Malum Prohibitum

Do I win a T-shirt or anything?

17. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Sure, where do you want me to send it. :D Good job Edward.

18. tony218

tony218 New Member

WHERE

what section is your letter in?

19. tony218

tony218 New Member

found it

never mind, i found it. good letter.