Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a great deal of threads about open carry.

Why would you want to?

Openly displaying a firearm takes away any tactical advantage in a situation, makes you stand out as a target in threat level assessment, and generally bothers people. Not to mention, should you have to use deadly force, a lawyer would have a field day describing your pathology as "wanting to get into a gunfight" and assorted gunslinger/cowboy wild west scenarios.

I've worked as a bodyguard, and low profile is the norm. Blending in with the wallpaper takes the focus away from the VIP as well.
A very wealthy businessman had a great deal of cash available to buy some artwork, we (operators) looked like tourists there for the show.
No one was any the wiser that there were guns in the building.

That said, if you care about others so much, as to use deadly force to protect them, why would you not want them at ease and not perturbed, for any reason they may have, by displaying your firearm?

Rights or not, one should respect others even if they are opposed to your views. How bad would you feel if an old lady got so upset as to have a heart attack? Not very likely to happen, but it could. I've seen some old folks at Huddle House on their last leg ordering the pork with extra bacon breakfast, complaining about the Rock & Roll on the jukebox.

I very interested in your views, I just got my CCW permit here in Georgia, and am having some difficulty getting used to the limitations. Having had licenses in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut,
you couldn't carry openly, even a glance in an open coat was considered brandishing, but you could carry everywhere LEO's could carry.

There are always a few guys that want attention, or are small "down there" and the gun makes up for what they're missing. :oops:
That's not what I'm insinuating, just my weird sarcasm.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm only throwing a few crumbs to the troll...

liam said:
That said, if you care about others so much, as to use deadly force to protect them, why would you not want them at ease and not perturbed, for any reason they may have, by displaying your firearm?
Protecting 'them' is a tertiary or lower priority.

**Drivel snipped**

liam said:
I just got my CCW permit here in Georgia,
Georgia does not have a CCW permit.

liam said:
and am having some difficulty getting used to the limitations.
Welcome to the club.

liam said:
Having had licenses in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut,
you couldn't carry openly, even a glance in an open coat was considered brandishing, but you could carry everywhere LEO's could carry.
Well, even commie CA has better laws than GA.

liam said:
There are always a few guys that want attention,
*plonk*

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Do you think that people (not to mention cops) will still be scared if they see more and more open carry and understand that law-abiding citizens aren't just going to go on a killing spree? I'm pretty sure cops have used the excuse "it's not that common to see open carry" when stopping someone without PC. I don't open carry everywhere. It depends on what I feel like, what I'm wearing, where I'm going, etc. Grandma would have a heart attack if a cop walked in?

·
69,784 Posts
liam said:
Rights or not, one should respect others even if they are opposed to your views. How bad would you feel if an old lady got so upset as to have a heart attack? Not very likely to happen, but it could. I've seen some old folks at Huddle House on their last leg ordering the pork with extra bacon breakfast, complaining about the Rock & Roll on the jukebox.
liam, I openly carry as a method of educating others. I believe a right you have to hide away is a right you really do not have. Perhaps if this were not so unusual to see, all these old ladies would not be falling over at the mere sight of a holstered pistol (which I am sure happens all the time).

liam said:
There are always a few guys that want attention, or are small "down there" and the gun makes up for what they're missing. :oops:
That's not what I'm insinuating, just my weird sarcasm.
Or maybe that is the real reason I carry openly. I just use the "polite opportunity to educate" as an excuse for my "compensation."

:-s

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I CC mostly for tactical advantage. I've opened carried on few occasions when I stop for a soda or snack 'cuz I was too lazy to conceal. I do intend to OC mainly to exercise my rights (don't use them = lose them), and to present an opportunity to educate the public.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Perhaps if this were not so unusual to see, all these old ladies would not be falling over at the mere sight of a holstered pistol (which I am sure happens all the time).
Now that I think about it, while I was having the 9mm vs .40 S&W discussion the the lady OC'ing at the sandwich shop this past Saturday, I'm pretty sure I heard a weak voice from the back cry out, "I've fallen and I can't get up!"

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm gonna look at both sides of the story here..

In this case - if there's a formal art auction and there's BG's there - who don't have a particular target - I believe the client(rich guy) is better off blending in.

I agree with CC for tactical advantage

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you are uncomfortable with OC and feel it is a tactical disadvantage, then do as I do - CC all the time.

My only concern is that indiscriminate OC will result in a general ban by business owners on carrying in their businesses.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have a standard reply for this, but this is a family site. PM me for a laugh ;)

I OC to educate not so I can feel "tough." I'm a friendly-looking guy, so a lot of people ask me about my sidearm. I would wager that I'm able to inform 3-5 people a week about GCO and private citizens' rights to self-defense.

I'm very aware that I give up a huge tactical advantage by OC'ing, and I accept that. I do not travel to areas where I'm likely to need my sidearm, and if I am required to travel in those areas, I do my best to CC. Ken has made some great arguments against OC, and I respect and understand his position, but I OC and understand the consequences of my decision.

Besides, my grandfather told me that a gentleman has nothing to hide; only criminals and bandits would hide a pistol. YMMV.

G

·
M249 said:
I have a standard reply for this, but this is a family site. PM me for a laugh ;)

I OC to educate not so I can feel "tough." I'm a friendly-looking guy, so a lot of people ask me about my sidearm. I would wager that I'm able to inform 3-5 people a week about GCO and private citizens' rights to self-defense.

I'm very aware that I give up a huge tactical advantage by OC'ing, and I accept that. I do not travel to areas where I'm likely to need my sidearm, and if I am required to travel in those areas, I do my best to CC. Ken has made some great arguments against OC, and I respect and understand his position, but I OC and understand the consequences of my decision.

Besides, my grandfather told me that a gentleman has nothing to hide; only criminals and bandits would hide a pistol. YMMV.
+1

My attire almost entirely dictates my choice of CC v OC. In my gym clothes, rugby uniform, etc, I CC. Mainly because others may find the sight of a large, rough dressed guy intimidating. I don't want to intimidate.

When I'm out on the town with my lady friend, I almost always OC. I have some weird stories from my encounters but the net result has been some want a GFL, they just didn't know it existed. Others have the mindset of, I'm glad you're willing to do it bu I'm not. I've had only one person walk away still hating guns, but their argument was "Guns are the #1 killer in accidental child death!" :roll:

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Open Carry all the time, not so much a tactical or non-tactical decision, the majority of that is political.

Do I think it makes me a target for a BG, no.

Personally I think that it takes a lot of confidence to carry openly. And it is very useful for education, If I'm in a store or out in town, I usually get a chance to tell several people about GCO and GPDO, and Georgia gun laws.

Guess you could call me a RTKBA missionary. :)

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Don't feed the troll!

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
gsusnake said:
Don't feed the troll!
I don't think he fully qualifies as a troll... too many words. Trolls are generally lazy... and try for the biggest reaction for the least amount of words. I would describe some of his comments as being less then productive to the discussion.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I agree with MP, and others that OC to educate. I do not OC to protect others: let them get their GFL and take care of their own ass. :wink:

I have had nothing but positive experiences while OCing. I have concealed perhaps 2-3 times during the last 6mos, versus a list of OC that is so long I could not possibly type it here. :D A few are three different Wal-marts, dozens of gas stations, 2 Target, Goody's, Belk, Best Buy, Marshall's, the Georgia Mall, liquior stores, any restaurant that does not serve the good stuff, my bank, other banks, etc. Have not had one problem. Had some interesting conversations and good experiences though. Have spoken to several LEO's while carrying, one of which lives in my county (Hall), that gave me his name and cell# and told me to call him if I ever had a problem or needed to talk about GA gun laws, etc. He loathes them just as much as we do. He thanked me for carrying and joked about how I no longer needed to call 911. I believe he said, "911 is slower than that .357 on your hip." But I knew that a long time ago. :lol:

1911packer..."indiscriminate OC?" :shock: Is that the same thing as indiscriminately exercising our rights under the law. :wink:

·
69,784 Posts
Watch_Their_Hands said:
Have not had one problem. Had some interesting conversations and good experiences though. Have spoken to several LEO's while carrying, one of which lives in my county (Hall), that gave me his name and cell# and told me to call him if I ever had a problem or needed to talk about GA gun laws, etc.
What? They did not point a gun at your head or put you in jail? :jail:

·
69,784 Posts
1911packer said:
If you are uncomfortable with OC and feel it is a tactical disadvantage, then do as I do - CC all the time.

My only concern is that indiscriminate OC will result in a general ban by business owners on carrying in their businesses.
27 states have no laws against openly carrying a holstered pistol, and I am aware of no such general ban by business owners on carrying in that majority of states. Several more states permit open carry, like Georgia, and, again, I am aware of no such general ban or even a discussion of organizing to make one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Watch_Their_Hands said:
1911packer..."indiscriminate OC?" :shock: Is that the same thing as indiscriminately exercising our rights under the law. :wink:
Yep. Rights are not absolute (see yelling "fire" in a theater.) I have seen the backlash caused by rappers pushing the 1st amendment envelope. One has to exercise some discretion with those rights. Just because the 1st Amendment gives me freedom of speech doesn't mean I should use foul language around school children.

Consider unintended consequences. If Wal-Mart or Golden Corral get tired of pantie-waist customers complaining about OCers in their stores, they might just exercise their rights and implement a national policy banning all firearms. The we all will be forced to be very discrete in our CCing, else we get banned.

I'm, in no way are saying you shouldn't OC and I am not comparing you to ganstas. You have the right to OC and it is your decision. I just don't want to see myself having to lock my gun in my car because businesses have decided to ban all firearms. Why push the issue?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
1911packer said:
Watch_Their_Hands said:
Yep. Rights are not absolute (see yelling "fire" in a theater.) I have seen the backlash caused by rappers pushing the 1st amendment envelope. One has to exercise some discretion with those rights. Just because the 1st Amendment gives me freedom of speech doesn't mean I should use foul language around school children.

Consider unintended consequences. If Wal-Mart or Golden Corral get tired of pantie-waist customers complaining about OCers in their stores, they might just exercise their rights and implement a national policy banning all firearms. The we all will be forced to be very discrete in our CCing, else we get banned.

I'm, in no way are saying you shouldn't OC and I am not comparing you to ganstas. You have the right to OC and it is your decision. I just don't want to see myself having to lock my gun in my car because businesses have decided to ban all firearms. Why push the issue?
A business can ban all they want. That doesn't legally stop you from going in there. You only must leave when asked or risk potentially being charged with trespassing.

If, all of the sudden, said businesses lose the many dollars that law-abiding gun owners bring in, they may rethink their decision.

The amendments shouldn't be picked over. They either exist or they do not.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts