Open Carry...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Montieth, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Every so often, I'm carrying concealed in my car, and intend on going into stores or such with out a coat on because I've taken it off while in my car. What's folks perceptions been with open carry (while licensed) around Atlanta? I've had the gun openly on my hip while buying gas but never clearly in the open.

2. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Its legal with a license ...... but I think being discrete is a better approach.

You never know when some soccer mom or some feminated eunuch will panic and call the cops .... "man with a gun". Then, you're going to have deal with a cop who may be pro-gun or anti-gun. Either way, they will investigate which will delay your journey.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Every time I have open carried I have never had a problem.

People barely even noticed.

4. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Part of the motivation is that more of us Need to do so in order to get the sheeple used to seeing it. They don't need to cry "gun!!" every time they see one.

5. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

We need to organize a flash mob! :rotfl:

6. BergerBoy

BergerBoy Guest

I'll bring the pillows!

[​IMG]

:shock:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Mike from Philly,

I keep trying, but I cannot get this to happen.

MP

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

9. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Would a flash mob be a public gathering? :?

10. wwomack

wwomack New Member

For this purpose I would say yes.

This sounds like a political rally.

11. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it would be.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I "open carried" in midtown Atlanta last night. I stopped at a crowded gas station for gas (I was running on fumes so I tolerated a partial tank at 20 cents above where I normally purchase petrol), and I politely joked with the neighboring guy pumping gas about how interminably slowly the pump was running. He was complaining about the same thing. Nobody so much as blinked about the gun.

I did, however, get a small adrenaline rush when I realized the person vacuuming out a white Ford Crown Victoria nearby was a uniformed police officer. But, I thought, I am in the right, so I will continue about my business.

I left the pump running (man, it was irritatingly sloooooow) while I checked the oil level, which was low, as I suspected, and as is normal after so many hundreds of thousands of miles journeyed on this tired, poor, abused workhorse of a car. So, I got my oil out of the trunk and added a quart. I dropped the hood and stopped the gas pump.

The Crown Vic pulled out as I was waiting for the receipt to print. I noticed it stopped right across from me on my gun side. I was somewhat afraid to look, thinking it would make me look "suspicious." Out of the corner of my eye I could see the police officer looking. I then tore my receipt off, and the Crown Vic started moving again.

I left the gas station and merged into rush hour(s) traffic.

I must admit that my adrenaline went up even though I knew I was breaking no law.

But, again, no issues even in the presence of the Atlanta police. The stress I experienced was internal and not imposed by the actions of the police.

13. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

It's definately a location thing. I open carry around LEO's down here on a regular basis and never feel any stress at all. The only ackowledgement I've had that they even notice me is the occational nod or wave. We're a small enough town that I would think that all the LEO's in the area know each other at least by sight if not by name, so I don't thinnk they are mistaking me for one of them as so many other folks do...

14. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Then what we need is a friendly officer that's nearby that we can walk up to and report that we're carrying to for that affirmative defense to carrying to a 'public gathering'. Just like at a gun show where you're carrying but you show the gun to the officer and he zip ties it (the zip tying not being the thing but the reporting to the officer being the point).

We really need to get rid of this public gathering nonsense.