Open Carry Rifle in Utah=Disorderly Conduct says prosecutors

Discussion in 'In the News' started by rmodel65, Jan 22, 2011.

1. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14078120

2. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Re: Open Carry Rifle in Utah=Disorderly Conduct says prosecutes

Sure, any excuse to go easy on criminals...

3. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Utah is indeed, open carry... Even for rifles.

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

5. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

In other words- We are going to keep violating his rights, and there is nothing you can do about it.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

if he can walk in front of the mall with an evil black rifle, why can't he run? With bayonet affixed, even?
    Can he exercise his religion at the same time, and scream "God is Great" in Arabic (it just sounds cooler in that language, okay?)

No reason to even briefly detain him for questioning, right?

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Totality of the circumstances.

8. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

I'm confused, was he breaking any laws non-technically?

Seems to me like "technically" is the author's way of saying "but it should be illegal."

9. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Gee... They let him off easy... Because they could not find anything to charge him with? Hmmmmm... :-k (paging Mr King) Where have I heard THAT before?

10. Jonas Salk

Jonas Salk Member

Stories like this make me facepalm and wonder why people do it. Yes, it's to make a point, but what point? That OC of rifles is legal? Okay, great. It's legal and that's a good thing. But why do it in such a blatantly antagonistic manner? I don't get that.

11. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Why do you think it's a good thing that OC of rifles is legal, if merely doing it where people are around is "blatantly antagonistic"?

12. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

if our forefathers carried their muskets, nobody batted an eye. Its sad where this country has gone.

13. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

So, you prefer people [s:2vwnrmn3]conceal[/s:2vwnrmn3] closet carry only.

I'd prefer to not hear loud-yelling evangelicals on Atlanta's street corners, but I don't call 911 or tell them to go indoors - I respect their 1st Amendment rights even though I disagree with the way they exercise them.

14. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

But was the tip painted orange?

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

So, you prefer people [s:2dymq1r9]conceal[/s:2dymq1r9] closet carry only.

I'd prefer to not hear loud-yelling evangelicals on Atlanta's street corners, but I don't call 911 or tell them to go indoors - I respect their 1st Amendment rights even though I disagree with the way they exercise them.[/quote:2dymq1r9]

Well said. I also agree with Patrick. How we ever let this country get so far downhill is really a mystery to me as well.

Its really a strange mix of liberalization of the sheep and the growth of a police state here in America.

We have people freaking out at the sight of a long gun, and then we also have LEO saying they will violate someone's rights just the same way tomorrow, just because he can. Its really astonishing to read between the lines of what is going on here.

The officers and the sheeple literally deserve neither Liberty nor Safety, and they will literally receive no safety from these actions, while certainly having all their freedoms taken away by an overbearing police state.

16. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

This one is easy:
    1) There are plenty of places where OC of a rifle is not "blatantly antagonistic"
    2) The law should not outlaw something solely on the basis that it's an :3hat: move.

There are plenty of actions that are legal, or should be legal, that if you choose to do them, still makes one an :3hat:. Getting called an :3hat:, getting shunned, mocked, or otherwise looked down on by other people, etc. are all consequences of acting like an :3hat:. The freedom to call that person out and choose our associations in no way infringes on the rights of said :3hat:, so long as he is not interfered with continuing as he pleases.

The cops were wrong, but the people who are sassin' him were fine. I don't even blame the people who called 911. It's the LEO's job to act properly on these calls.

17. Match10

Match10 Active Member

BINGO!

18. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Open carry of a rifle would seem appropriate for things like, oh, maybe hunting? I would consider abnormal behavior for someone to be toting a rifle around otherwise. Was it in his hands or slung over his shoulders? When I see someone with a gun in their hand (I don't really care if it is a handgun or rifle - whatever), I get concerned. The same is not the case with a holstered weapon. Albeit legal, one would have to consider this abnormal behavior for Utah in this day in age (maybe people still walk around Sicily with shotguns like in the God Farther - I don't know) and, as such, it is going to be investigated. The charges seem like a stretch and finding anything that can inhibit this type of behavior in the future w/o new laws.

19. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

1) Like a lot of places in the woods where OC of rifles should be restricted to, right?

2) What makes you think the man OC'ing outside near the mall was acting like an a%%? He was merely out taking a walk, was not acting weird or accosting people in any way. His rifle was on his back, and his hands were in his pocket.

Now, can you present any reasonable evidence at all to support your accusation that his behavior was a%%-like?

On stuff like this, I see a lot of argument here, not from facts, but from emotion. Now, present some facts on this particular case that support your view of the situation, or admit your assessment of the OC'ing gentleman is merely based on your feelings.