Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=14078120

OREM -- Orem City prosecutors filed disorderly conduct charges Thursday against the man who was seen carrying an assault rifle in front of University Mall last Saturday.
Philip Taylor

Police also released dash camera video of the incident.

In the video a police officer confronts 51-year-old Philip Taylor, yelling, "Keep your hands where I can see them."

Taylor is heard replying, "Utah is open carry, officer."

The officer asks, "Why do you have a gun on you?"

"Utah is open carry," Taylor says again.

"Not open carry for an assault rifle," the officers replies..............

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Re: Open Carry Rifle in Utah=Disorderly Conduct says prosecutes

He was released because he was technically not breaking the law by carrying the guns openly.
Sure, any excuse to go easy on criminals...

·
Registered
7,006 Posts

Utah is indeed, open carry... Even for rifles.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

We're going to play it safe every time," Martinez said. "I don't think we would change how we did this if it happened again tomorrow. It's going to be approached the same way."
In other words- We are going to keep violating his rights, and there is nothing you can do about it.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,700 Posts

if he can walk in front of the mall with an evil black rifle, why can't he run? With bayonet affixed, even?
Can he exercise his religion at the same time, and scream "God is Great" in Arabic (it just sounds cooler in that language, okay?)

No reason to even briefly detain him for questioning, right?

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts

gunsmoker said:
if he can walk in front of the mall with an evil black rifle, why can't he run? With bayonet affixed, even?
Can he exercise his religion at the same time, and scream "God is Great" in Arabic (it just sounds cooler in that language, okay?)

No reason to even briefly detain him for questioning, right?
Totality of the circumstances.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts

He was released because he was technically not breaking the law by carrying the guns openly.
I'm confused, was he breaking any laws non-technically?

Seems to me like "technically" is the author's way of saying "but it should be illegal."

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
Gee... They let him off easy... Because they could not find anything to charge him with? Hmmmmm... :-k (paging Mr King) Where have I heard THAT before?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Stories like this make me facepalm and wonder why people do it. Yes, it's to make a point, but what point? That OC of rifles is legal? Okay, great. It's legal and that's a good thing. But why do it in such a blatantly antagonistic manner? I don't get that.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,001 Posts
Jonas Salk said:
Stories like this make me facepalm and wonder why people do it. Yes, it's to make a point, but what point? That OC of rifles is legal? Okay, great. It's legal and that's a good thing. But why do it in such a blatantly antagonistic manner? I don't get that.
Why do you think it's a good thing that OC of rifles is legal, if merely doing it where people are around is "blatantly antagonistic"?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
if our forefathers carried their muskets, nobody batted an eye. Its sad where this country has gone.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Jonas Salk said:
So, you prefer people [s:2vwnrmn3]conceal[/s:2vwnrmn3] closet carry only.

I'd prefer to not hear loud-yelling evangelicals on Atlanta's street corners, but I don't call 911 or tell them to go indoors - I respect their 1st Amendment rights even though I disagree with the way they exercise them.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
But was the tip painted orange?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,914 Posts
Mrs_Esterhouse said:
[quote="Jonas Salk":2dymq1r9]Stories like this make me facepalm and wonder why people do it. Yes, it's to make a point, but what point? That OC of rifles is legal? Okay, great. It's legal and that's a good thing. But why do it in such a blatantly antagonistic manner? I don't get that.
So, you prefer people [s:2dymq1r9]conceal[/s:2dymq1r9] closet carry only.

I'd prefer to not hear loud-yelling evangelicals on Atlanta's street corners, but I don't call 911 or tell them to go indoors - I respect their 1st Amendment rights even though I disagree with the way they exercise them.[/quote:2dymq1r9]

Well said. I also agree with Patrick. How we ever let this country get so far downhill is really a mystery to me as well.

Its really a strange mix of liberalization of the sheep and the growth of a police state here in America.

We have people freaking out at the sight of a long gun, and then we also have LEO saying they will violate someone's rights just the same way tomorrow, just because he can. Its really astonishing to read between the lines of what is going on here.

While officers have been criticized by some who believe they were harassing a law-abiding citizen, police are defending their actions in what they call the interest of public safety.

"We're going to play it safe every time," Martinez said. "I don't think we would change how we did this if it happened again tomorrow. It's going to be approached the same way."
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
The officers and the sheeple literally deserve neither Liberty nor Safety, and they will literally receive no safety from these actions, while certainly having all their freedoms taken away by an overbearing police state.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Phil1979 said:
Why do you think it's a good thing that OC of rifles is legal, if merely doing it where people are around is "blatantly antagonistic"?
This one is easy:
1) There are plenty of places where OC of a rifle is not "blatantly antagonistic"
2) The law should not outlaw something solely on the basis that it's an :3hat: move.

There are plenty of actions that are legal, or should be legal, that if you choose to do them, still makes one an :3hat:. Getting called an :3hat:, getting shunned, mocked, or otherwise looked down on by other people, etc. are all consequences of acting like an :3hat:. The freedom to call that person out and choose our associations in no way infringes on the rights of said :3hat:, so long as he is not interfered with continuing as he pleases.

The cops were wrong, but the people who are sassin' him were fine. I don't even blame the people who called 911. It's the LEO's job to act properly on these calls.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
ookoshi said:
It's the LEO's job to act properly on these calls.
BINGO!

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Open carry of a rifle would seem appropriate for things like, oh, maybe hunting? I would consider abnormal behavior for someone to be toting a rifle around otherwise. Was it in his hands or slung over his shoulders? When I see someone with a gun in their hand (I don't really care if it is a handgun or rifle - whatever), I get concerned. The same is not the case with a holstered weapon. Albeit legal, one would have to consider this abnormal behavior for Utah in this day in age (maybe people still walk around Sicily with shotguns like in the God Farther - I don't know) and, as such, it is going to be investigated. The charges seem like a stretch and finding anything that can inhibit this type of behavior in the future w/o new laws.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,001 Posts
ookoshi said:
Phil1979 said:
This one is easy:
1) There are plenty of places where OC of a rifle is not "blatantly antagonistic"
2) The law should not outlaw something solely on the basis that it's an :3hat: move.

There are plenty of actions that are legal, or should be legal, that if you choose to do them, still makes one an :3hat:. Getting called an :3hat:, getting shunned, mocked, or otherwise looked down on by other people, etc. are all consequences of acting like an :3hat:. The freedom to call that person out and choose our associations in no way infringes on the rights of said :3hat:, so long as he is not interfered with continuing as he pleases.

The cops were wrong, but the people who are sassin' him were fine. I don't even blame the people who called 911. It's the LEO's job to act properly on these calls.
1) Like a lot of places in the woods where OC of rifles should be restricted to, right?

2) What makes you think the man OC'ing outside near the mall was acting like an a%%? He was merely out taking a walk, was not acting weird or accosting people in any way. His rifle was on his back, and his hands were in his pocket.

Now, can you present any reasonable evidence at all to support your accusation that his behavior was a%%-like?

On stuff like this, I see a lot of argument here, not from facts, but from emotion. Now, present some facts on this particular case that support your view of the situation, or admit your assessment of the OC'ing gentleman is merely based on your feelings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts