Open Carry Question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wsweeks2, Jun 27, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

For everyone on here who OC's, do any of you use a paddle holster, or do you go for the security of a belt holster that can't come off as easily.

I have a Blackhawk Serpa 2 and with the paddle attachment, it's a pain for me to take off, but when I OC'd in Virginia, I used the belt attachment instead.

Just looking to see what others are using and why.

2. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Some will likely give me flack over this but, I use a fobus. Used it with my Walther and now with my G19.
    During the week I have to leave my gun in the car while at work but I wear it to & from & don it again anytime I go out to lunch. It's quick & easy to get the holster on & off if I want to (someone would get the gun out of the holster before the hoslter itself is going to come off). It securely holds the gun in place and is comfortable.
    Yes I know it is possible to have the gun drawn by another person, if that person is familiar with the holster, if I'm unaware of their presence and if I'm not in my normal cautious mode. All those things don't coinside very often if ever... The gun is not actually that easy to remove either. If you don't pull it at the right angle it ain't coming out. You have to pull it straight up. Maybe after I've pulled & replaced the gun in the holster a couple thousand times it will loosen up to the point where I'm not comfortable wearing it but at this point in time I'm happy with the retention.

The price is right also. I will eventually look into other nice holsters but I just spent a nice chunk on the G19 & a shotty and about to get a safe. I can't really get away with spending $80+ for a really nice holster right now. I'll get around to getting a custom made one eventually.

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Paddle, because it makes it easy to take on and off when getting in the car etc... without having to take the gun out of the holster.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Ditto

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I go for the security of a belt holster. Everybody else is insane.

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Y'all must be listening to Rammstein.

:wink:

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If I OC my PPK/S it's with a Don Hume belt slide or a Southern Holsters 'Memphis' IWB and tucked polo. If I OC my M&P it will be with my Blade Tech belt holster, since my Ross Leather paddle has no retention at all.

8. Malum Prohibitum

How do you like it?

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I love it!! It's well made and comfortable enough to wear all day and not know that it's there. In a month or so I'm going to see if he can get the dummy gun to make one for my S&W M&P9, unless I have him make a Savannah OWB with thumb break for it. I also like the belt that he made me alot better than the Wilderness Frequent Flier that I was using.

I though I had some pics of the holster on Photobucket, but appearently I deleted them. I'll repost some tonight if I have a chance.

10. Malum Prohibitum

I want to order from him as soon as my financial situation improves.

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Malum Prohibitum

I had business to conduct at a Washington Mutual bank I had never used before in Atlantic Station, and I covered the gun with my shirt.

:cry:

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My wife has shut down my financial situation. We are now on a new budget that will have us debt free (except mortgage and cars) by this time next year. That's why I traded out a few guns lately. I knew that starting 7/1 they would not be in my budget for a while. I'm not complaining though, I would rather postpone some purchases and be debt free then buy a few more toys and get further in debt. Starting next summer I'll be able to keep a percentage of each paycheck for a "toy/play fund".

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

When I open carry it's in a Safariland 070 level 3 security holster. :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Malum Prohibitum

Took me 1.25 seconds to draw and apply a shot on target from that holster.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Dave Ramsey?

17. Madd Hersh

Madd Hersh New Member

18. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

When I bring my A game I can draw and get off two in that amount of time. I can regularly draw and put a shot on two targets in under two seconds. It's part of the SQC at GPSTC.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Re: This is What I think About Paddle Holsters

I think you have more problems that holster choice if you let that happen to you. You've gotta be a little more aware. Since that video is a setup, it's easy to act like you don't know what's going on. Ya know?

edit: if they have enough time to get that close with hands on the weapon, a belt holster won't stop it.

20. Malum Prohibitum

Ok, so I am slow . . . :lol: