Open Carry on the 4th

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by mzmtg, Jul 3, 2007.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Anyone else planning to open carry all day on the 4th?

(I usually conceal.)

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Why should it be any different than any other day? I don't plan on attending any public gatherings so I will be practicing open carry as usual.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Now that I have finally OC'ed I would as long as I wasnt at a PG. However being in FL that is not an option!

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

All day here. I've been OCing more than CCing since receiving my GFL only 4 days ago. It's much easier and if sheeple don't like it, oh well.

5. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I will be as well, cause "G.W. said to be prepared", except at the fireworks show downtown, but it will be in the car.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Every minute I am not at work I will be open carrying. Yes, I have to work on the 4th. :(

7. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Nope. Going to Stone Mountain Park. It's on the Off limits list. :evil: And it even looks like i'm not supposed to carry a knife either. WTF??? Maybe I should carry a whistle. Haha. Nah, I'm going with a buddy of mine who is a Marine. Even though I'm out, I can still use the Buddy System. :lol:

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Carry a fake finger to induce vomiting so you don't have to dirty yours.

:lol:

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm in FL...can't OC... :( Not to mention I don't have an OC holster... :( :(

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

That sucks PTSmith. How much longer you down there?

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Until July 20. Then I'll be in the Atlanta area July 22-first week of August sometime.

12. Purge

Purge New Member

My friends will CC on the 4th. They will be in a park, and I checked, there will be no events or functions taking place. For the simple fact that there will be a lot of people there it’s best to conceal.

13. merlock

merlock New Member

All day...only difference from any other day is the day off.

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I concealed when we went out. We went to the Regal movie theater at 141 and State Bridge, then to the Mall of GA. Later we out for ice cream and Brewsters was declared off limits for open carry by the highest law in the land, my wife, so I again concealed.

15. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

My wife tried to pre-empt me last week, we were going to take my son to the playground, and she didn't want me carrying. Told her that I would never compromise on that issue. She got over it later.

16. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I thought she got her GFL as well? Why would she oppose? Don't she know the wacko's don't know any boundries?

17. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

She said she wasn't comfortable with me carrying around kids. I asked her if she would be ok with a cop there, "Sure it's his job", to which I pointed out that it was my job too, To protect my family or something like that. She didn't take to kindly to me saying "My gun isn't going to jump out of the holster and start shooting people".

She hasn't gotten her GFL yet, we just got the postcard last week, but she hasn't gone down and picked it up yet.

18. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I didn't get the chance to open carry either.

My wife prefers that I conceal. She just wants to avoid any extra attention. Since I was with her whenever I went out, the gun stayed covered.

19. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I OC’d all day and had my first negative experience.

***DISCLAIMER***
    I am in no way trying to offend anyone who may align themselves with the lifestyle of my verbal opponent.

I was out from around 10 o’clock in the morning yesterday, and stopped to have lunch at the Five Guys location at Suwanee Town Center. When waiting in line, I noticed a table of 3 males near the soda fountain who obviously had noticed that I was OCing and it was evident they did not approve. It was also evident that 2 of the 3 were there together as a couple with another friend of theirs. I placed my order, got my drink, and found a table near the door so I could see who was entering and exiting. About 5 minutes later, these 3 gentlemen were on their way out, when one of them comes up to me and asks if I was a police officer. I told him I was not, at which time he said, and I quote, “I don’t like how you’re packing.†Now keep in mind, it was evident he was there with another male, however if he was alone it would have been easy to tell as he spoke in a very dramatic way and to be blunt, he sounded like a complete flamer.

I told him that I appreciated his right to his own opinion and wished him a happy 4th. I continued to eat some peanuts while waiting for my order, and he just stood there. It was about a minute later that I asked him if I could help him, to which he replied, “didn’t you hear me?†At this time I acknowledged that I heard him and that I hoped he enjoyed the rest of the beautiful day as well as any 4th of July festivities. That’s when he said in a very demeaning way, “You people…â€

That’s about when I had enough of the polite routine and said, “Okay chief.†Not sure my exact wording from there, but I did say that I too agreed with his choice of wording, and that I did not agree with how he was packing as well. After this, the drama queen’s jaw almost hit the floor (a guy who was next to me with his wife and kids chuckled at this point). I went on to tell him that while I may not agree with his choices, I was not bothering him to tell him that I did not agree with them nor was I trying to take away his rights even though I do not agree.

I then asked him if he was truly afraid of the firearm or just looking to stir up trouble. I told him that I believe he simply wanted to cause trouble as he would not have “pranced†over to say anything if he felt I was a menace in anyway. I wished him well and then went to pick up my order.

I think I handled it as well as could be expected and did all I could to be sure that any others watching did not see me as another jack @$$ with a gun.