Open carry of long guns...

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by alnen, Mar 31, 2018.

1. alnen

alnen Active Member

With the rally in Atlanta coming up, I'm trying to figure out if there are any "gotcha" spots that need to be avoided within walking distance of the Capitol.

For example, are there any federal properties nearby that are illegal to carry a long gun on?

Please don't make this into an open carry vs ccw thread. People will be doing both and we can't stop either (wouldn't want to anyway). So for the people that choose that this is how they want to represent themselves, I don't want them to be arrested for accidentally stepping over a line.

Also, just a heads up... I remember a rally a few years back where a kid was carrying a rifle slung on his back. Gsp was giving him a hard time and threatening arrest because he claimed the muzzle was not perpendicular to the ground and that the young man was "unlawfully pointing his weapon at others". At least that's the line I was given when I asked why the young man was being threatened with arrest.

EJR914 likes this.
  2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I'm not betting my freedom or life on "forum advice"

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I can think of about a half-dozen people that carried long guns down at the capitol when the "Two Dozen Moms"* was there. As to unauthorized locations, that's a bit harder to tell.

*That was the year Blooomberg's bus had a mysterious breakdown and couldn't make it).

4. alnen

alnen Active Member

Are you coming to the rally?

5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I don't do mob stuff.

6. alnen

alnen Active Member

It's outside of my wheelhouse but I decided it's better than sitting at home doing nothing. Looks like we're finally starting to pick up some momentum. Florida already has another one being planned after this one.

7. DonT

DonT Well-Known Member

FYI, here is a long thread from the February 2013 rally at the capitol. It was coordinated and we got permit for the rally, we personally met with and coordinated with Capitol police. They all knew we would be OC'ing sidearms and long guns. I attended this event, carrying an AR and a 1911. There were many, many LEO watching us carefully, every minute from set up until completion. Folks have to be careful about muzzle awareness, because LE are watching for guns being pointed in an unsafe direction. We didn't have any real issues carrying all over Liberty Plaza, just had to stay out of buildings that had security, per the law. I personally parked in a parking lot not far and walked about 1/4 mile to the capitol, with firearms being openly carried.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/threads/mass-rallies-planned-february-8th.245635/

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I carried an AR15 and p229 down there, I stayed on the side walk next to the road. No problems

9. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

And what exactly does this accomplish?

Headspace likes this.
  10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I know there's the bigger thread in "Off Topic" but since you mentioned it here I'll ask.

Where's the national recognition and support from anybody involved in the gun blogger, gun writer, gun industry, gun rights group world? With the exception of ar15.com I haven't seen anything anywhere by anybody. And there's even dissension there.

I did run across a national blogger who said he was asked to speak at some location. He hasn't committed but basically raised the same issues that others are asking.

And there's still no central group of characters, no central group of organizations, no central theme, no central anything. But there sure is a lot of really stupid talk in the ar15.com thread. Unless someone organizes this thing it's going to be a royal clusterf*ck and an embarrassment to all of us. And even then I have my doubts.

11. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

Not to worry, it's being organized by the Momz. I'm sure they will stage the appropriate events to put gun owners in the best possible light! :shattered:

12. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Well, the big march demonstration was today. 2A folks from as far away as PA. Lots of them. The end, nothing dramatic to report.

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

What big march demonstration? Isn't it supposed to be on April 14?

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What big demonstration was this weekend?

15. alnen

alnen Active Member

April 14. They are now having issues with the permit though. Gsp wants almost $7k to provide security. Chris Hill says this is a surprise that popped up after the rally was approved. I don't see this sort of $ being sorted out with only a few days to go. I won't be attending if the permit is pulled. As silly as it is to need a permit to rally, that's how it is done here. If it turns out that pro gun folks are unfairly targeted and this security fee is not consistent with other rallies, that's a huge issue. I see open records requests in the future.

16. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

A $7,000 "security" tax to exercise the constitutional right to assemble? Was March for Our Lives and BLM required to pay this tax as well? How is this legal, unless we're living in a post constitutional America....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  17. 45_Fan

45_Fan Active Member

February example that was in the news in March:
    https://politics.myajc.com/blog/pol...r-lives-rally-atlanta/apchOemQSINT4VdMM1K4LP/
    Given that the planning required was pointed out in this thread some time ago, waiting until the week of to cancel and blame government smells of histrionics.

Adam5 likes this.
  18. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Wait a minute. The state government forced the Mad Momz to pay thousands of dollars to have men with guns at their gun banning rally?

Solid trolling. 8/10.

19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

That's sexist. PC is persons with guns...

20. alnen

alnen Active Member

Those in charge have pulled the permit for this rally. The organizer states that they were surprised with a nearly $7k bill for gsp to come out and supervise this rally. Please be advised that if you still choose to attend, it will not be "legal" in the eyes of law enforcement. As great as it would have been to share this rally day with the rest of the nation, we will have to revisit this idea and take all of the guesswork out of the equation. We will also need more preparation time and funding. We will be in control of the event, instead of it just being the first person to sign up as an organizer. And when I say we, I mean a group of like-minded individuals, it could be folks from this site or it could be folks from gco, it really doesn't matter. What's important is that we learn from this. Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

I will note that this infringement on the first amendment is disturbing. A permit should absolutely not be required for a peaceful protest. That's where we are right now, so maybe we should have a pro first amendment rally as well. If only there was something on writing that would protect our right to free speech and our right to bear arms...