Open Carry incident on CourtTV show...

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GalaxyFE, Mar 8, 2007.

1. GalaxyFE

GalaxyFE New Member

So on Monday night, CourtTV had a show on called "Hot Pursuit". I was half asleep (about 2 in the morning) but I did wake up with this. Apparantly someone was carrying open in Ohio (legal to do in Ohio) and some folks called 911 after seeing him in the vicinity of a gas station. Anyway, the officers executed a felony stop, including a shotgun being pointed on him. Once he was put in the car, the conversation was recorded. Long story short....the guy told them he was a CHL holder and it was in his pocket. The cops verified it and then asked if he had any felony convictions adn were giving him the 3rd degree. The guy then "schooled" the idiots...I'm sorry...Officers, that he couldn't hold a CHL if he was...and some other stuff about the requirements of a CHL. The cops really looked like idiots. It was eye-opening for those who open carry (not here in TX...go figure) and what can happen. I have tried to find it online, but haven't had any luck. It was in Ohio, his name was Daniel Sayre (sp?) and it was around 5/06.

2. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Another sad case of PO's not being familiar with the laws they are suppose to uphold. :shakehead:

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

There are idiots in all professions but idiot cops seem a little more scary than some other professions where people don't carry guns...

4. Purge

Purge New Member

I thought only citizens had to know the law. LOL

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I saw that episode. If memory serves me right, a passerby saw a man with a shot gun at a gas station, thought the place was about to be robbed, and called 911. They reported a robbery in progress.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll have to check later. The computers at my office are POS, and won't run video right.

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

That sure sounds like the one.

Isn't that one of the reasons that Ohio revamped their laws regarding pre-emption... just so this kind of incident wouldn't happen again? I think the governor vetoed but was overriden.

I wonder if that helps him since it was changed after the fact? Probably not. Looks like, at the time, county restrictions on CCW were legal.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I watched the video of this when it first came out. The officers should have handled this better.

9. GalaxyFE

GalaxyFE New Member

So is this video available on the internet anywhere? I can't believe that it has gone this far...glad I don't live in Oregon, Ohio!!!

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

It is. Let me do a search and see if I can find it.

11. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

So what has happened to this young man?

12. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

the horror, the horror... :(

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Ah! A Joseph Conrad fan! :D

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Ohio has passed pre-empition. If it hasn't gone into effect yet, it will soon! Good thing because local ordinances were wreaking havoc.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Ohio also requires open carry in the car (no concealed carry in automobiles), and so when Mr. Sayer stopped for gas, he was open carrying (which is perfectly legal in Ohio, being a traditional open carry state - i.e., no license required for open carry, just like the majority of states). The City of Oregon, Ohio has a complete ban on possession or carrying, which is why pre-emption is important.

A complete ban strikes me as an infringement.

The court opinion is a travesty. It holds that the right to bear arms is fundamental, but then upholds a city ordinance completely banning carry because of an opinion holding that the right is not absolute.

http://www.ohioccw.org/files/SayersDenial.pdf

The opinion can have "limitations." So, they can ban it?

Free speech is not absolute, either. It can have "limitations." Can the city ban free speech?

16. Malum Prohibitum

A pending motion to reconsider asks the court whether the city can simply ban all carry and still comply with the Ohio Constitution and the Second Amendment.