Open Carry in plain English

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by raiderman, Sep 28, 2007.

1. raiderman

raiderman Guest

Could someone plainly tell me the code for open carry in GA. I live in Cherokee County and am fairly new to carrying my firearm. I have a CCL, but want to be clear on the code. I know I can open carry on my own property or in a business that I own or directly manage. Anywhere else? Where could I find out more?

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Open carry is not specifically prohibited in state law.

Therefore, it is implicitly permitted.

It's that simple.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

mz has it right. CCL is sorta a misnomer. It's a GFL and doesn't require conceal or open carry. Either way is fine. Just opens up the where/how of carrying. At the Gun Laws link at the top of this page, there is a link to "in plain english" laws. If you are unclear on something (which wouldn't be shocking given the way the laws are written), feel free to ask more on here. Everyone benefits from questions, no matter how "dumb" you may think they are. :righton:

4. raiderman

raiderman Guest

paranoid?

I guess I'm a little paranoid. Thanks for your post.

5. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Keep it concealed and save the hassle and danger.

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Carry it openly and help us get rid of the hassle.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Carry ice cream and be happy.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You can openly carry anywhere that you can carry concealed, but you still need a license, thanks to Jim Crow.

9. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Unless your neighbor has called the cops on your for your "vicious" dog. :?

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

+1

11. Malum Prohibitum

Raiderman, here is the statute.
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=128

12. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

I still dont get this danger stuff. Please explain. :wink:

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

In simple terms:

1) There is a law that requires one to have a GFL to conceal a pistol (even without a GFL you could not be charged with this if you were open carrying).

2) There is another law that requires one to have a GFL to carry a pistol, either openly or concealed.

Thus, if you have the GFL you are not breaking either law. There is no law against open carry with a GFL, ergo, it is legal.

14. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

The danger stuff is: someone walks up behind you and just snatches it. You get into a fist fight and the gun is taken and it can go on and on. If you don't think it is an issue thats fine we are all entitled to your opinion. I have also in another post on this board told of two times I know it has happened or at least attempted.

15. gizmo5

gizmo5 New Member

Gee thanks.. :wink:
    I didnt think people cared. 8)

I will ask the same question that everyone else would ask then... WHAT ABOUT COPS? Im not putting myself in a place or situation that could end up in a fight more than a cop am I?

16. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Carry on my wayward son... and be happy.

17. Malum Prohibitum

I openly carry, so you know I am not attacking you, but police officers have retention holsters and plenty of backup available, and sometimes, they are killed with their own guns, anyway.

18. raiderman

raiderman Guest

This section only mentions carrying without one's license. It does not mention open carry. Thanks for the effort though. There was a note at the bottom of that page stating that section 126 is where open carry is directly mentioned.

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If you are looking for a GA law that says, "You may openly carry a pistol if you have a GFL" stop looking now because it does not exist.

The two code sections 16-11-126 and 16-11-128 explain it.

Again, if there is no law against something, it is legal. If you look at the few states that specifically ban open carry, they do just that, ban it in their law.

20. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Okay, let me try again...

1) Say you are walking down a deserted street (the place is not off-limits to carry).

2) You have a valid GFL.

3) You are open carrying.

Now looking at 16-11-126 and 16-11-128 what could an officer charge you with? Both of them, one of them, any of them?

From my reading, none of them.

Your thoughts?