Open carry in Ga.?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ki4dmh, Apr 12, 2007.

1. ki4dmh

ki4dmh New Member

Is it legal to open carry anywhere in Ga. or is it all conceal carry?

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

A Georgia Firearms License (GFL) gives the holder the ability to carry open or concealed in the same places. There is no legal open carry without a license with the possible exception of having it "in you car in plain view" whatever that means. One of our members thinks the only way to do that would be to duckt tape it to your forehead....

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

4. ki4dmh

ki4dmh New Member

Thanks for the input. I conceal carry most of the time but sometimes I walk into a grocery store or somewhere like that on the way back from the range open carry in my range holster. You get some looks. People just are not used to seeing firearms out in the open anymore.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Some us open/semi open carry more often than we conceal.

6. ki4dmh

ki4dmh New Member

I am a firearms instructor for the Dept. of Corrections so I don't think anything about carrying while I'm on duty through the day, but it does cross my mind when I am off duty. I don't go anywhere that I am not armed do to my line of work.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

haha, good point... years and years can be spent on analyzing the law. By the time you think you have one thing down, the law changes and/or a new one is created. :) Whatever passes the time until I get my GFL. :lol:

9. steelhorses

steelhorses New Member

no prob

no prob just carry two - one open one concealed

10. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member

Just curious.....why would you want to open carry when you can conceal? I could see maybe if you had just been in the woods hunting with your 10in .44 Redhawk ...you might walk into a local hunter store with it strapped on. Other than that why would you want too show your hand so to speak.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Educate the public, make people realize that it's OK for non-cops to carry and that the pistol isn't just going to magically jump out of its holster and start shooting people. Stuff like that. I'm in Florida for a little while, so I can't open carry. :D

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I do it because I know that I am doing nothing wrong.

If you open carry a lot as I do, you tend to watch people's eyes while walking around. 99% of people go about their day and will never know they walked by a person with a pistol on their hip. They are so utterly oblivious about the things around them that it is near comical.

Now, if I am going somewhere like the local stop-n-rob at like 12 or 1 in the morning I will conceal carry. The odds of me needing it are higher.

My other reason for open carrying is education. Open carry is not limited to people with a badge, and I want people to know that.

13. Hickory Flatlander

I understand that, but giving up a tactical advantaged for the sake of public education just doesnt seem wise to me....thats just my opinion though.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

If people don't even notice an openly carried pistol then there is no disadvantage to it.

Also, per an FBI report, people are able to spot concealed weapons with a certain level of ease. People get into the routine of thinking that just because they cannot see their weapons that no one else can either. This is simply incorrect. Most people give off a tell.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Because I can. A right not exercised is a right that will quickly be lost. It's also a political statement. If more people saw that guns can safely be carried, and that guns owners are not all trigger happy redneck psycho murderers, maybe public opinion will turn in our favor.

16. Taler

Taler New Member

Can you aim me at that report please, Ramm? I'm interested in understanding not only their conclusions, but also "what people see".

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sure. Unless someone else posts it before I do, it will have to wait until later in the day. I am about to get on the road to go back to Statesboro.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It will a few years from now . . . :wink:

19. Taler

Taler New Member

Thanks Ramm. I can wait.

20. Hickory Flatlander

Just because everyone doesnt yell gun and run doesnt mean they dont notice. I notice when someone open carries. Ive been behind them in shopping lines. Ive wondered if they have thought how easy it would be for me or anyone else to grab that gun from behind while they are fumbling with their wallet while paying. concealed...thats not going to happen.

Ill also garantee unless someone trained is looking for a possible concealed weapon it will not be spotted if you have it properly consealed(I am very aware of printing). Summer time can be a challenge I will admit but fanny packs still work well for me when dressing very light.

Anyway....I tip my hat to those who do open carry...just be careful out there....as for me....Ill keep it under cover.