Open Carry in a College Town

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So I am going to do something I originally thought I wouldn't do.

I am going to start open carrying in my college town. I am not sure how this will be received by the police and other students.

First trip is to where I first carried concealed...Walmart. So, we'll see how this goes. Hopefully, it will be uneventful.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Keep us posted how it goes. I have thought about doing it for quick errands before. It sure would be convient for last minute grocery runs etc. Just drop the Glock into the Fobus paperweight and go.

3. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

i thought about doing the same around here, might even try it in athens, shurly people wouldn't mind .

4. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Careful, you might run into a public gathering or a victim disarmament zone. With open carry its a little harder to get away with.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That went surprisingly well. Out of the whole packed store I only saw about 7 people who noticed. But it was nothing more than a lingering stare.

I'll tell you that I was a lot more apprehensive while walking around. You really need to watch your side and who is near it. I thought I was aware of my surroundings when I was concealing my Glock...not a chance.

I think I'll try this more and more because it was a lot more comfortable than IWB.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What, no SWAT team? :D

Imagine how easy it would be if there was no license requirement for open carry, like Virginia, Alabama, Oregon, Colorado . . . and so on.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No SWAT team.

I was more worried about the Statesboro police. They have a tendency to be overzealous in everything they do. Like giving breathalyser tests to people on their riding mowers.

I'll defitly do this more often. The only catch is that I have to keep it discrete when I enter/leave my apartment. I think it is best if my roommates didn't know I have a couple of guns in my room. Especially since one of them "doesn't know why people have guns."

8. rajl

rajl New Member

I'm surprised anyone who's spent more than a few weeks in Statesboro doesn't understand why people have guns. If not for self-defense, then at least for hunting season!

9. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

UGA cops strike me as the same way, though to the defense of police in a southern college town the activities of the students don't exactly make their jobs easy.

Re roommates, definetly have to be careful. Right now I couldn't see myself living with anyone other than a gun owner.

10. Foul

Foul New Member

I could stay in the same apartment with an anti-gunner for a few weeks...especially with some fava beans and a nice chianti. *thp, thp, thp, thp.

:twisted:

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

It is my understanding that Wal-mart does not support open carry in their stores. Their official coporate policy is that they do support conceal carry and will ask you to leave or place your firearm in your car if management notices your gun.

12. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I have a tendacy to carry open when I go out. Matter of fact spent a significant amount of time at our local Wallie World this weekend. I carry open on the waistband, and I have never been approched by any one, management/employee, or customer.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Any modification of your behavior due to the news out of Virginia Tech?

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Yes. I plan to conceal carry more for the time being. Open carry will bring attention that I don't need in the last month of classes.

During the summer I'll do as I please.

15. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

Open carry is going to bring you ALOT of unwanted attention.

You need to be prepared for the situation to go from good to bad REAL quick. All it takes is a PTA mom to come into Taco Bell or a mangina at walmart to cry.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

OC should be more welcome in a time like this. One more "good guy".

17. Malum Prohibitum

I will continue to open carry, but, then, I am not a college student in a college town . . .

18. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Ramm,

Just be carefull, you never know what idiot will take you for the BG. But do use this for a educational experience when you can.

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I open/semi open carry as often as I can. as the weather warms i'll open or semi open carry more than I conceal. Unless I'm going to my ex-wife's house I'm not going down that road unless I have to.