Open Carry At The Varsity

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Country, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Country

Country New Member

A couple of weeks back after going to a taping of Jeff Foxworthy's new show, my wife and I decided we would stop back by the Varsity and grab a bite to eat. It was around midnite when we arrived. Now just coming from a Foxworthy show, I had a lovely Dixie Outfitters shirt on. I threw on my side-iron and decided to open carry. No big deal....right? Well, when we entered, I went to the restroom. When I walked in, I noticed a black guy with a Bail Enforcement Agent shirt on....and of course, a pistol, cuffs, etc. I was just waiting for something to be said. He turned around to wash his hands and I could see him looking over my way out of the corner of my eyes. He said " excuse me sir, are you a LEO?". In which I replied "no, are you?" He told me that, as a matter of fact I am. Now I'm thinking, this guys just a damn bounty hunter. Anyway, he said that I did not need to carrying in the Varsity. I told him that I did not notice a No Firearms sign on the entrance door. He said I needed to conceal it or take it back to my vehicle. I politely acknowledged that comment and after he left the restroom, I washed up and went on about my way....the same way I entered the building!!

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The BEA! Kind of like the DEA?

I am curious? Was he working for the Varsity?

If so, is he a law enforcement officer?

3. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Which Varsity was it? The one in downtown Atlanta?

I think you did the right thing. You stood your ground but showed restraint by ending the conversation and leaving when you realized and you were dealing with ignorance.

But since when is a bounty hunter an LEO? I suppose he could have been a LEO working another job. I may have asked for ID from this guy.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Even as a private guy, not an officer, he could, if he is an agent of the owner and properly identifies himself as such, ask you to leave.

Not being a police officer, however, and claiming to be one is a crime.

O.C.G.A. 16-10-23 Impersonating an officer

A person who falsely holds himself out as a peace officer or other public officer or employee with intent to mislead another into believing that he is actually such officer commits the offense of impersonating an officer and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 or by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or both.

In addition, to the extent he is a "bail officer," he should have his license pulled:

"Good moral character," as statutory requirement for authority to write bail bonds, was not unconstitutionally vague, as applied to surety who, while chasing speeding vehicle, falsely identified himself as public officer during radio contact with deputy sheriff and also used strobe and blue lights; the phrase was sufficiently definite to apprise surety that he could not engage in unauthorized acts of law enforcement. Pryor Organization, Inc. v. Stewart, 274 Ga. 487, 554 S.E.2d 132 (2001)

So:
    (1) He committed a felony, and
    (2) He should have his ability to work in bail enforcement yanked.

It may be that he is a police officer, but I do not know of any law enforcement officer who would wear a "Bail Enforcement Agent" jacket. None that I know.

:roll:

If that happened to me, I woudl have asked for i.d. Then, if my suspicions were confirmed, I would make a police report and then swear out a warrant.
    :jail:

5. Malum Prohibitum

Step one! :D

6. Black Ice

Black Ice Member

He was probably downtown ive seen that guy in there before, so im assuming thats a PT for him... but you did a good job by just leaving.

7. Country

Country New Member

Yes, it was the one downtown. I think the guy was just trying to intimidate me. But anyway, if I go back there any time in the future, I will open carry just like I did last time. Come to think of it...I think I have seen that guy in there before and just didn't realize it at the time. Oh well, thanks for the replies.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Anybody know if he really is law enforcement or is he committing a crime?

Anybody have one of those little cameras that you can hide like 60 Minutes? :D

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

What a great idea :twisted:

10. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Unless Georgia has anything like this! :shock:

Otherwise, go for it :D

11. Malum Prohibitum

Um, what do police do at traffic stops in NH? No video camera?

I am unaware of any violation of Georgia law that would occur with what I proposed, but I would be happy to be educated on the matter by someone who knows.

12. Malum Prohibitum

iwb32, UPDATE to your news story:

Charges "Under Review"
    http://nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /107010079

Though Gannon told police to “smile†for the camera, it wasn’t the video recording that landed him in trouble.

“It’s the audio portion, not the videotape,†Hefferan said. “People video people all the time. In fact, the police videotape people.â€

13. Malum Prohibitum

Gannon’s video camera was mounted in plain view, on a beam supporting the porch roof, and Gannon had a warning sign posted outside his home, but the audio recording ran afoul of state law, police charge.

Under state law (RSA 570-A:2), it is a crime to use any sort of electronic device to eavesdrop or record conversations without the consent of everyone involved. It’s a felony to record other people’s conversations, and a misdemeanor to record one’s own conversations without the other person’s consent.

Gannon is charged with recording a conversation between Karlis and Detective Thomas Bergeron, while they stood on his front porch late on the night of June 23. He also is charged with recording a conversation between himself, his wife and Karlis on June 26. It’s not clear why police charged the latter incident as a felony, since the Gannons knew of the recording.

Gannon was freed Wednesday after his wife posted $10,000 bail, and a probable cause hearing is scheduled for July 12 in Nashua District Court.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Trisha Lessard pointed out a warning sticker affixed to the cable junction box on the side of the building, reading: “Warning. Homeland Security Cameras. Closed circuit television and audio monitoring on premises.â€

15. Malum Prohibitum

The probable cause hearing has been moved to July 27.

16. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/htm ... -A-mrg.htm
    570-A:1 Definitions. – As used in this chapter:
    II. "Oral communication" means any oral communication uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation.

17. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

So I guess you're free and clear to tape whoever you want :) even a BEA :)

18. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Georgia has a similar law, but it has an important exception that probably would apply in the case being discussed:

16-11-62.
    It shall be unlawful for:
    (1) Any person in a clandestine manner intentionally to overhear, transmit, or record or attempt to overhear, transmit, or record the private conversation of another which shall originate in any private place;
    (2) Any person, through the use of any device, without the consent of all persons observed, to observe, photograph, or record the activities of another which occur in any private place and out of public view; provided, however, that it shall not be unlawful:
    (A) To use any device to observe, photograph, or record the activities of persons incarcerated in any jail, correctional institution, or any other facility in which persons who are charged with or who have been convicted of the commission of a crime are incarcerated, provided that such equipment shall not be used while the prisoner is discussing his or her case with his or her attorney;
    (B) For an owner or occupier of real property to use for security purposes, crime prevention, or crime detection any device to observe, photograph, or record the activities of persons who are on the property or an approach thereto in areas where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy; or
    (C) To use for security purposes, crime prevention, or crime detection any device to observe, photograph, or record the activities of persons who are within the curtilage of the residence of the person using such device. A photograph, videotape, or record made in accordance with this subparagraph, or a copy thereof, may be disclosed by such resident to the district attorney or a law enforcement officer and shall be admissible in a judicial proceeding, without the consent of any person observed, photographed, or recorded;
    (3) Any person to go on or about the premises of another or any private place, except as otherwise provided by law, for the purpose of invading the privacy of others by eavesdropping upon their conversations or secretly observing their activities;

19. Malum Prohibitum