Open carry and apartments

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by cripple, Oct 24, 2007.

1. cripple

cripple New Member

Are there any consequences that I need to worry about if I open carry into/around an apartment in which I reside? (ie to the clubhouse, pool, etc)

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

You'll want to check your rental agreement, but there shouldn't be an issue otherwise, outside of the normal stuff (PG laws).

3. cripple

cripple New Member

4. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Might be an issue if there's an organized party going on at the clubhouse. Sure, it's a private gathering, but you might end up telling the judge that.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I don't OC around my apartment (outside anyway)...found the stupid lease rule. I'm counting down the days until the lease runs up.

6. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

As one of regulars here once had happen and posted about it, watch out for the idiots around the pool to dunk you in with your firearm. :shock:

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I don't go near the pool. I'm good to go.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This probably doesn't apply to you but your "apartment" can't be a college dorm room or gov't owned or operated housing (projects.)

Make sure that the clubhouse doesn't sell alcohol to drink on premisis. I doubt it does.

If you are really paranoid and they are having some type of organized swim or an organized excersize in the weightroom that could be stretched into an "atheletic event" but I doubt that would ever really happen.

9. cripple

cripple New Member

nah they dont do any of that stuff. Im just a little paranoid that the management would kick us out for something stupid.

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Like I said, check your rental agreement before you do it. If it's kosher according to that, you'll be in good condition at least until renewal time comes up :? Then, it'll depend on the leasing office.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

They might have something in the contract about "annoying" or "disturbing" other residents. I would be careful if you like living there. My tenants can openly carry if they wish, but I sincerely doubt that is the case everywhere.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've been here since before I owned guns. Just recently found that stupid clause. Right below the one that says they aren't responsible for residents' safety. Yea, what they don't know won't hurt them. I know I'm not renewing in August when that comes up. I'll be graduating that December anyway.

13. cripple

cripple New Member

I dont think Im going to chance it. We still have our house for sale back in MS and we will be in this apt until it sales...whenever that will be.

14. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

People in my apartment complex must assume I am law enforcment or something because I am always carrying rifle cases and always have a sidearm openly attached to my belt while carrying the rest of my gear. They don't say anything, just smile and wave.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I open my front door. Step out a little bit. Scan the area. Then proceed to do the haul ass dance to the car. It's sad, really.

16. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Any chance you could post a video of that?

\:D/

:rightawaysir:

17. cripple

cripple New Member

yea...maybe I should try that...:)

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That would give away the apartment complex, :lol:

Maybe I should go over to snake's place and film it. That or Ramm's.

19. tanker301

tanker301 New Member

I thought the type of folks that live in "Gov't owned or operated housing" already have guns....lease agreement or not. :D

20. cripple

cripple New Member

I think so as well..although I would think some are for protection and some for bidnezz... :shock: