Open Carry Activist Secretly Record Police Trumping up Charges, Racketeering

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by EJR914, Sep 19, 2016.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

The video: https://youtu.be/wvyehgt9CuA :rotfl2:

Of course the cops will not be charged with racketeering or anything else for their crimes. They also said they would lie and say the witnesses had to leave. Dirty cops.

I have a feeling this is very widespread.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-futu...conspiring-fabricate-criminal-charges-against

Guess they just got tired of this uppity citizen constantly standing up for his human, natural rights and decided to teach him a lesson for being so uppity. They say what goes around here boy!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. phaed

phaed Active Member

whoa, the ACLU getting active on a gun matter? lemme check the weather channel to see if hell has frozen over...

that's hilarious that the phone they illegally seized is what captured their plot.

3. EJR914

Not exactly, as far as I have read the guy is an open Carry advocate/activist and is as well a 1A, 4A, and 5A activist.

At the time, he was openly carrying, holding a sign way up the road from a DUI check point that asked drivers to invoke their 5A rights.

The ACLU is actually suing because of the direct violation of his 1st amendment rights by the cops. They also illegally seized his camera, his gun, and an illegal search.

The article is long, but it lays it out fairly well.

I love the cosmic karma that the fact the officers illegally seized the camera that they then used to covertly record themselves conspiring to lie, make false statements in order to convict a man of crimes he did not commit, and then conspired to trump up which charged to charge him with so they could then lie about it later in court to convict the man.

Disgusting.

I have a feeling this happens way more than we would like to think.

Also I think they will be training their officers a lot differently now about confiscating recording equipment either they confiscate it and take it with them and destroy it or they don't take it at all.

They'll get better at this so that they can keep doing this to innocent people.

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

What is the app you can use during a police encounter, the one that records everything and uploads it automatically to a secure server even if the phone gets turned off? I'm pretty sure it was intended for the #BLM crowd but I want it too.

5. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

I thought that was a Ridley thing?

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good thread, EJR.
    This probably should be in "firearms related news" or "LEO Encounters."

When cops attack a gun rights activist over his carrying of a gun, that's not Off-Topic.

7. phaed

phaed Active Member

gotcha...that makes sense

8. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

He beer watch out they might try to get him on wire tapping or eavesdropping

9. phaed

phaed Active Member

10. EJR914

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I didn't know if I would be ok posting it there because the gun is sort of secondary to the lawsuit. The gun was illegally seized and searched, through running numbers, but the ACLU is actually suing due to 1A and 4A, violations and suppression, if I remember the article correctly.

I appreciate you commenting though, thank you. That's very kind of you.

11. EJR914

12. EJR914

13. EJR914

While I find such laws that bar this to be disgusting, I believe you are right, and they certainly will probably try.

With that said, after years in court, I think two they mentioned, all charges were finally dropped against the man, after tons of money and time expended as well.

Also, I believe various courts have stood up for a citizens rights to record police in public, especially while they are doing something in their official capacity.

The truth is, anything else just breeds corruption among officers of the law.

Most LEO video tape everything from a body camera or dash cam, and some have audio as well, which is very important I believe, and they video and record all that they do if working properly. And they should.

With that said, its only fair that a citizen can record anything publicly done and in official capacity of an officer of the law as well.

14. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Wiretapping pertains to telephone conversations - which this was not.

Eavesdropping relates to listening to a conversation you are not a party to - however, in this case they confiscated the recorder so it was under their control and they were responsible for its care and operation while it was confiscated.

There is case law on audio taping others when not present but it relates to what basically amounts to bugging others and does not relate to the recorder actually having been seized by officials and through their own negligence it having recorded their illegal activities.

This all came up for me in a case involving a minor who was intellectually disabled whose lawyer reportedly had the parent sew a recorder into the lining of the child's coat and then they entered the recording of abuse into the record. The Federal Court ruled that since no competent party to the conversation had agreed to the recording it was not admissible. In the Court's development of that line of reasoning much of what I put above was reviewed along the way.

15. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

ACLU Files Civil Lawsuit for Connecticut Open Carrier

:shock:

http://www.acluct.org/updates/aclu-ct-sues-three-police-officers-for-violating-protesters-rights/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...files-civil-lawsuit-connecticut-open-carrier/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Link to original article please.

Nemo

17. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Since none of you *******s answered me... it's called Mobile Justice and they even have a version for your state with particular laws on recording and such.

18. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That's a bit less cordial than they're used to being addressed as. :lol: