Open Carried in Savannah again

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by gsusnake, May 21, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

First, I went to a couple places in the Boro. Got lunch at Chick-Fil-A while OCing. No one said a word. Then filled up at the Wal-Mart gas station, again, nothing.

When I got to Savannah, the first place I went was the Savannah Mall again. For anyone who missed my previous (bad) carry experience it's here.

At Bass Pro, I was asked to show my license in lieu of checking and securing my firearm, which I did without hesitation. I then went downstairs to buy some CLP and some ammo. The "commando" behind the counter talked to me for about 20 minutes, showed me an XD45 and a Glock 21, then went to ring me and my ammo up. AFTER I had purchased everything, he asked if I was a police officer. After I replied "no", he told me I was subject to arrest. I pointed him this way and to GCO and told him it was 100% legal to OC. I also asked to speak to his manager, told him the same thing, and filled out a comment card outlining the encounter and directing their corporate officers here and to GCO.

Went into Target and nobody said a word.

Glared at Waldenbooks as I walked by.

I did a lap around the entire mall, nobody said a word.

Then I drove to the Oglethorpe Mall to go to Macy's. The guy behind the counter asked me what I was carrying, I said "A .40 cal pistol." He laughed and said, "You want to put a hole in something, don't you?" I told him that in the entire time I'd carried, I'd never drawn it except at the range. Another good experience.

Went into Yankee Candle and Victoria's Secret (I'm in trouble with the lady for something, no idea what...) and nobody said a word. Ditto for Gamestop and Hot Topic.

Then I went to Portman's Music store to look at guitars. The manager came up to me and told me they offer an LEO and military discount and I told him I wasn't either one. "Then why are you carrying a gun?" I replied, "To protect myself and others, and to educate the public." He said, "Oh, so you're making a political statement, right?" I laughed and told him he could think whatever he wanted to. He told me it was cool with him if I carried, as long as I didn't draw it or anything. I paid my $670 for my brand new Taylor acoustic and left.

I went down to River Street, took the gun off, put it in the glovebox, and got a pint and some corned beef at Kevin Barry's.

So, all in all... three reactions, one negative (until he was educated) and two positive.

EVERYONE SHOULD OPEN CARRY AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY THEY GET. Period.

2. gsusnake

On another note, what are everyone's thoughts on OCing on River Street? I'm nervous to carry at all due to the fact that all the restaurants serve alcohol in to go cups, and the fact that it's a national historic place, and because there's so many tourists I can see it being (wrongly) construed as a PG.

What do y'all think?

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Isn't interesting how it always seems to be the gun store commandos that don't know the law AND have a problem with people open carrying? I find it fascinating.

I would never do that.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

5. gsusnake

Didn't think so.

Too many cops, too many restaurants and bars, and too many opportunities to accidentally wander into a place that actually IS off-limits, instead of being perceived as so.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

And let's not forget that fantastic 200 yard (meter?) rule that keeps us safe from mass homicides.

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I would never OC on River Street. Besides the restaurants serving alcohol, you also have the occasional "street band" that draws a crowd to watch and also some other entertainment acts that people gather for. Also beware of the tourist information center with the public restrooms next to the hotel. It is owned and operated by the City of Savannah which would make it a PG by its own terms.

Other than that you can find a really great place to eat on River Street. I recccomend Tubby's Tankhouse. The mahi mahi is excellent.

8. gsusnake

Fiddler's Crab House has the best fried shrimp, and you can't beat Kevin Barry's for a pint and either the fish and chips or the corned beef and cabbage.

Cobblestone Conch House has great ceviche, too.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

At least now I know why all the plants are dying and Statesboro smells. 8)

10. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

He must be a member of the Flatuence Action Response Team, otherwise known as F.A.R.T. :oops:

11. gsusnake

It's even worse with two pints o' the Black on top of it, and a third on the way down...

12. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Ah, I see I am not the only "picker" here. :)

Rock on! I have concealed carried into music stores many times but I haven't tried OC in any, I figure around here someone might flipout. I am waiting until I get a good retention holster for OC before I dare do it.

Besides I live in Gwinnett, I was all good and ready to start OCing as soon as I got my holster when MP dropped that thread about talking to those Gwinnett PD guys at the courthouse.
    I guess baby steps for me.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

This thread is useless without pics of the Taylor.

I play an Ovation and a Takamine, but Taylors are some of the best out there.

14. john

john New Member

Public gathering is a scheduled event.Opinion of the AG., not a place where a gathering may occur.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Not entirely correct.

Best read up on case law.

By the way, those AG unofficial opinions do not hold any legal weight.

16. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

=D> Excellent. OCF!

I currently have an Alvarez two piece back acoustic in sunburst and a black and red Fender Strat. Love 'em. Been playing since I was 7.

17. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

GSU,

Glad to see one bad experience did not totally turn you off to the SAV. I personally stay away from River Street and that part of down town unless I have to, most of the bad doo doo happens north of Derene.

18. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Ok, we don't hijack this thread I started a guitar one here.http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3263

And as Mr. Gump once said, "That's all I got to say about that".

19. tony218

tony218 New Member

last time i was on river street even the little icecream store
    sold beer.
    i don't think i would carry on river street either.

20. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

ICP_Juggalo, that has to be the first animated signature line on this site!