Oops! Body Cam Exposes Driver's Lies

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by rjinga, May 23, 2018.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If you falsely accuse somebody of a crime, that should be a crime that carries a mandatory prison sentence of 50% of the average sentence for others convicted of the same thing you alleged.

rjinga likes this.

3. rjinga

rjinga Member

4. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Body cams and dash cams protect good cops from bad citizens, and also protect good citizens from bad cops. I fully support making them mandatory for all on-duty officers for their own protection, as well as the protection of the people who are victimized by the very tiny minority of police officers who don't act in accordance with their oath.

rjinga likes this.
  5. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I would think it'd be beneficial for the police to do so on their own.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

That's 50% as a mandatory minimum.
    In practice, perjury that results in an innocent person getting thrown in jail is almost never prosecuted criminally, as the courts view it generally as a civil matter to be sued over.

This is DESPITE the legislature specifically making perjury a crime AND authorizing the liar to get a prison sentence equal to (100% as long as) the innocent person got due to the lies told by the false witness/ false accuser.

See Code section 16-10-70.

We should breathe new life into this law, and exchanging a 100% "could be, maybe, theoretical" penalty for a 50% mandatory minimum prison term may accomplish that.

And, what I'm proposing would apply to a wrongful prosecution where the person is only charged with a crime they didn't commit, but perhaps they were not convicted. I'd throw the liar in jail for years just for TRYING, even if unsuccessfully, to get an innocent person imprisoned for a serious crime.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    rjinga likes this.