Only official . . .

Discussion in 'Training' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Various military and police courses covering handgun, shotgun, rifle, and submachine gun.

I have never had any paid training outside of "official" government training, but I am intending to get some, probably from people who post on this site.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

In the near future I will be offering the NRA basic Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Personal Defense courses. I am still in negotiations on a range to use. I do plan to offer discounts to NRA and GCO members. I also teach a FREE Georgia State Hunters Education Course. I will let everyone know when courses are running.

3. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Be more than hapy to help you out, what do you want?

Room Clearing 101
    Stack and Entry (Mil style)
    Advanced Markmanship, Pistol
    Advanced Markmanship, Rifle
    Light Machine Gun 101
    Heavy Machine Gun (40mm grenade launcher included)
    Diversion Techniques
    Small Unit Tactics
    Daytime Land Nav
    Night Land Nav
    Radio Protocol
    Fast Roping

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Hell sign me up for that one too! Sounds like fun.

I could use the night nav as well.
    My wife and I had a devil of a time last year doing an AR that started at midnight. We had to get across a lake & then find various point on the far side. I'm ok at O courses during daylight but it's a whole nuther ball game at night. :(

Great new forum section btw. I'd also like to get into some courses. Particularly some basic stuff. The only trainig I've had came from dear old dad, the scouts & a few friends that didn't want me scaring the hell out of or accidentally killing someone on the range. I'd REALLY like to get my wife interested in some basic stuff.

6. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

It was, you just need to furnish it, the rounds, and a range. :D

That was my favorite, walked off the firing line with a sh*t eating grin, and a bounce in my step. Without a doubt, my favorite machine gun.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This sounds good to me too. You're traing sounds alot like mine, except I can't leave out my high school JROTC Sgt.

8. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I have no skills to offer but REALLY want to take some courses...

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Anything new on courses? I'm still waiting on my GFL and saving up money for my first carry gun.

10. USMC - Retired

Not yet, with my FRNA activities heating up again I have had little time to work on my range issues. I will devote some time to that next week to see what I can arrange. I'll post here when I know something. Ever hear the phrase "busy as a one legged man in a butt kicking contest"?

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh ok, sounds good. Haven't heard that phrase before, but there's a first time for everything. :lol:

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Mine too! The old M2 and the 105 (or was it 106?) recoilless rifle were both major freakin' fun. Damn! I loved blowing the living crap outta old APCs. If I could bottle and sell the fun feeling I got from those bad boys, I'd have more money than Bill Gates!

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

+1, you haven't experienced pure fun till you've put a few hundred rounds of AP and HEDP goodness downrange, now that's living.

14. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

+1!

My soon-to-be actually wants to take a class, too, maybe wants a small-ish wheel gun for her very own.

We are interested in taking a basic operation course (cleaning, loading, aiming, firing, re-loading, etc.), then also taking a basic 'What you need to know while you carry" course.

Is this realistic?

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I've only done "official" training as well, and pretty much all of that has been departmental and stuff at GPSTC. I'm a POST certified firearms instructor, and I have the additional POST shotgun instructor certification. I'm looking into going to some stuff at FLETC and possibly picking up sub-gun and patrol rifle instructor certifications.

I'm interested in picking up a few "civilian" instructor certifications, which pretty much means the NRA. I'm not familiar with any other such organization offering them. My main concern here is liability. On the job I'm covered, but I don't know about venturing out on my own to teach. I guess that I could buy liability insurance. I've done training informally for friends, and I would be willing to work with anybody on basic operation stuff on an informal/friendly basis.

As for my own training goals, I'd really like to try some of the big name folks such as Suarez or Front Sight just to push the envelope somewhat.

16. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

Legacy38 ask USMCR I think he is an NRA instructor...

17. USMC - Retired

Legacy,
    Coverage is available and it's really not that expensive considering the alternative (loosing everything you have in court). Here is alinkto give you an idea of what it will cost once you get certified.

18. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Interesting.

19. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Thanks. Do you have any info any NRA instructor courses anytime soon in GA?

20. USMC - Retired

Nope, but you can get a list of Training Counselors from the NRA and them contact them to see when they will be doing it...