One of main reasons I like listening to NPR.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TITAN308, Aug 17, 2016.

1. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Because the alternatives are conservative talk shows more worried about selling me gold or silver, Bond Arms, or security programs / systems that providing content.

Yes NPR content sometimes has a very clear bias, but you know what, I'm fine with that. At least with them you get actual content and can learn about new subjects and also get funny comedy shows on the weekend.

We have one local guy here from 3p-7p (Austin Rhodes) which I will listen to, but the national morning / afternoon line up of crap like Rush and Beck is just terrible.

They use to air the Herman Cain show in the morning hours, but they took that away in favor of that shill Beck some time ago.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

What's wrong with Rush? I had a chance to listen to part of his show today, and it was spot on.

He talked about increasing federal oversight of city police departments. We all know the feds want to consolidate power and are using the race issue that Obama keeps inflaming as an excuse. Seems like things are moving along as planned.

He also talked about the LGBTQRS community and how they are being used as a pawn by the federal government to attack institutions of faith. For example, once the gays and lesbians got what they want (same sex "marriage"), they really couldn't agitate anymore, so they adopted into their movement the bi's and the tran's, so they could keep pushing the envelope and further tear down social norms in their quest to make all manner of immorality acceptable.

Well guess what? The federal government saw this as another instrument (besides Obamacare) to attack religious organizations by making a rule that homeless shelters, many of which are owned and operated by churches, must take in people not based on their actual gender but what they identify as. So for example, a Methodist Womens Homeless shelter must now accept men who claim to be women.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...gender-rules-homeless-shelters-cause-outrage/

I'd say Rush was pretty current today with the news, and rather pithy with his commentary on it.

3. TITAN308

Its not the content, when they actually deliver it, its about all the commercial ads either built into the show or the vast amounts of breaks.

It seems 10 minutes of talking then 10 minutes of commercials is standard for these people now a days.

4. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

Michael Savage? He had Trump on again today:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xVpcWlPhro[/ame]

5. phaed

phaed Active Member

i used to listen to NPR all the time when i was back in Colorado. i liked prairie home companion and car talk alot. i'm not sure what all they have playing today.

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

If I'm going to listen to libs on the radio I prefer them to have an English accent, hence its BBC for me instead of NPR.

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

They just 'unplugged' their only outlet for dissenting opinions....

[​IMG]

8. TITAN308

I mean lets honestly sit back and look at this for any website that allows comments; people in general are unruly barbarians online in how they talk to each other when they have difference of opinions.

On that note, I never visited their website so meh /shrug

9. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Agreed.

About a year ago I decided to quit being so abrasive in my posts and to refrain from insults because ultimately, once one runs to insults, they have nothing.

Seeing responses I still get, I see I have rubbed a few the wrong way. Never meant to. It's funny how just taking an opposing opinion on something can get so many people to really dislike you.

I love NPR on the weekends. There's no way I can listen to endless home fixit shows and mutual fund investment shows on the big talkers. The highlight of the traditional conservative stations is when they allow Monica Perez on with her anarchist libertarian show.

Currently, the only Conservative fare I listen to is Kim Peterson and Sean Hannity. Kimmer is funny. Hannity is entertaining. It's hilarious to see Hannity, a conservative man be 5% away from being a homosexual in lust with a presidential candidate the way Ann Coulter was attracted to Romney.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

I will flip through NPR , they occasionally have things I agree with. Also, it's good to hear dissenting opinion sometimes, and what I usually hear isn't so belligerent.

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

They aren't what conservative media says they are.

12. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Prairie Home Companion is still on. Chris Thile (formerly of Nickel Creek) is the new host. It's still a great show.

13. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I, too, dig NPR. I love the old episodes of Piano Jazz with Marian McPartland.

I also like the general range of stories they present on All Things Considered. You get some... different content than most sources.

14. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

One insult to piss them off
    One insult to blind them
    One insult to derail a thread
    And in dysfunction bind them

15. CoffeeMate

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBWIh43Dvo[/ame]

16. CoffeeMate

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1t8foMAjdc[/ame]

17. TITAN308

Wait wait don't tell me! is another funny show.

Also, Terry Gross's "Fresh Air" every evening at 7pm can be good depending on the topic she is covering or whom she is interviewing.

18. FmrPFCBob

FmrPFCBob Active Member

I used to listen to the classical music during my lunch break but they did away with that. I can't listen to too much of the political stuff on NPR and it seems the audience is pushing to get rid of all the music programming.

19. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Conservative media isn't what 'conservative media' says they are...

20. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Fresh Air is one of the programs I like to hear occasionally, also.