Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working on my one handed shooting in preparation to try for my Expert rating in the NRA MQP. This is something that the Mantis X is very helpful for dry firing until I can get the the range.

I am right handed, but left eye dominant. When shooting two handed I use an isosceles stance and slightly shift the pistol to the left to my dominant eye. When shooting one handed, I am intentionally taking an stance with my weight on the foot nearest the side shooting. I grip as hard with my hand as I can without shaking and carefully pull the trigger to the rear with the middle of my pad. So far so good.

However, when shooting right handed this would naturally bring the pistol in line with my weak eye. I have experimented tipping my head, canting the gun inwards - like I am punching but not quite gangster style with the sight coming to my cross dominant eye. I have also tried just closing my left eye and forcing myself to use my weaker eye. I can get some 92%+ this way according to the Mantis.

I hope to do some range work soon with these techniques. However, what is generally considered the best approach? Should I stick with this basic stance or go the full bullseye stance for my one handed shooting work (referincing either the NRA materials or the classic AMU bullseye shooting guide that's on the Internet?

·
Super Moderator
73,367 Posts
So it is different one handed than two handed? I am cross eye dominant. I have not competed in the NRA sport you mention, but I would just move the pistol over slightly to my left eye, the same as if shooting two handed. Try to keep it simple.

Can you stand basically the same as you would to shoot two handed, but do it one handed? Do the rules prevent this? If you can, then draw your pistol and point two handed. Then take one hand away, but keep the pistol pointed and on target while withdrawing the support hand.

Now that you are standing there with one hand pointing at the target: Does that stance and head position work?

If so, then try to figure out through repetition how to get into that position without using your support hand.

Just my suggestion - and I may be way off and not understand what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nope no rules apply in this case in the stance taken (it's up to the individual how he or she wishes to stand). Just talking about most efficient. Big thing will be to keep in the 2 second par time per shot (5 in 10 sec) so needs to be solid and return to the aim point.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What worked for me was switching hands. It took a bit of practice, but now i shoot equally poorly with both hands.
I hear what you’re saying. This course of fire requires to shoot both strong hand and weak hand. Same standards for each. Actually it’s funny as far as my hands go I’m actually somewhat ambidextrous. I found that I I actually can shoot pretty decently lefty. Maybe I could even do it better since my left eye is my dominant one.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...Can you stand basically the same as you would to shoot two handed, but do it one handed? ...
I just drilled this with my primary hand this morning and this should work. I am finding that my natural point of aim one handed is different than when the support hand is there. Discovered my repeatedly doing the close eyes, rotate the gun at full extension around, and then open eyes to see the alignment it is in. After about 30 dry fire reps I can feel the burn in my forearm. So practicing this isometric grip and full extension is building some new muscle for sure!

·
Super Moderator
73,367 Posts
I’m actually somewhat ambidextrous. I found that I I actually can shoot pretty decently lefty. Maybe I could even do it better since my left eye is my dominant one.
So, like the Lone Ranger, carry two guns, and draw and shoot with both hands. Problem solved.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
18,355 Posts
Or do lots of off hand shooting so you can switch hands and stay on target. So if you get wounded in your shooting appendage you can use the other quickly and accurately.

Nemo

Reactions: frankr

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Or do lots of off hand shooting so you can switch hands and stay on target. So if you get wounded in your shooting appendage you can use the other quickly and accurately.

Nemo
Indeed. Do it with rifle too. There are instances of shooting around cover where you need to shoot offhand. It's good practice.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed. Do it with rifle too. There are instances of shooting around cover where you need to shoot offhand. It's good practice.
I think I worked this up to be harder than it really was and now 2/5 of my way to the expert rating. Scored 149 on target 1 and 154 on target 2. All one handed shooting right and left handed including rapid fire under a par timer.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the 2nd target. This included both right and left handed single handed shooting including rapid fire - 5 shots in 10 seconds with each hand. I want to bring this group in of course, but pretty happy that my first time ever trying to shoot in this style resulted in passing scores! This was with Blazer 124 grain 9 mm.

Blue Art Sleeve Rectangle Font

1 - 11 of 11 Posts