on the Collegiate Empty Holster...

Discussion in 'In the News' started by pro2am, Oct 26, 2007.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

From Wall Street Journal's Opinion Journal

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110010787

"Drop out of school." Hamm's advice certainly reflects the degree of maturity and thoughtfulness we've come to expect from the Brady Center.[/quote:jo06x8ds]

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

:roll: I'm glad "our side" made it to the WSJ, but it's a pity there wasn't a better author behind it.

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Are you calling out the way he wrote the message...or the message itself?

Campus gun bans ARE more effective at preventing defensive use of guns...by the nature of campus gun bans.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'm calling out his argument that two incidents is a rational basis for judgment in this case. He could just as easily say that guns should be completely outlawed because two children were killed by them.

5. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I see...

He's a pretty logical writer. I don't think this was meant as a serious argument, just a comparison of two schools in the same state operating under the same law...with different rules and vastly different results. I think it was all geared toward ridiculing the Brady bunch.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Tons of ways to refute Brady, however with WSJ and AJC you have to be brief and to the point.

I personally would have gone with something like: Should you have to choose between your future with a college education and your desire to protect yourself?

Most funny is the fact that a lobbying group is saying it is better to give up your education than to fight to change the law. Can't indoctrinate students into the liberal thought process if you have a pro-gun student standing up for themself.

7. bondrm

bondrm Guest

:up: (wish somebody could have put that in the article...)

I don't see why I should have to give up my right to protect myself so I can get a higher education. I know for sure the "security guards" at my school don't do a dam thing. They just make sure everyone has a parking permit and sit at the little desk for them in the hallway. Plus the only cameras are in the school. There is none, to my knowledge, outside in the parking lot, which has had a lot of vandalism and breakins. Very sad since I heard it was a lot worse at their old location. How am I supposed to be a civilized citizen without an edumcashion.. :wink: