1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Wall Street Journal's Opinion Journal

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=110010787

'Drop Out of School'
Last April a man who seemed to have been mentally ill went on a rampage at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Cho Seung-hui used firearms to murder 32 people before killing himself--and somehow he managed to do it even though Virginia Tech is a "gun-free school."

Or was that because it's a gun-free school? As we noted at the time, a shooting five years earlier at another Virginia institution, the Appalachian School of Law, was stopped when an armed student confronted the gunman. Appalachian, a private school, is not "gun free."

From these two incidents it is reasonable to believe that campus gun bans are more effective in preventing defensive than aggressive use of guns--a view that is gaining adherents on campus, Fox News reports:

[quote:jo06x8ds] College students across the country have been strapping empty holsters around their waists this week to protest laws that prohibit concealed weapons on campus, citing concerns over campus shootings.

"People who would otherwise be able to defend themselves are left defenseless when on campus," said Ethan Bratt, a graduate student wearing an empty holster this week on the campus of Seattle Pacific University.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, a group of college students, parents and citizens who organized after the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University in April, launched the protest. . . .

But others believe college is no place for firearms.

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
"Drop out of school." Hamm's advice certainly reflects the degree of maturity and thoughtfulness we've come to expect from the Brady Center.[/quote:jo06x8ds]

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
From these two incidents it is reasonable to believe that campus gun bans are more effective in preventing defensive than aggressive use of guns--a view that is gaining adherents on campus, Fox News reports:
:roll: I'm glad "our side" made it to the WSJ, but it's a pity there wasn't a better author behind it.

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
pro2am said:
Are you calling out the way he wrote the message...or the message itself?

Campus gun bans ARE more effective at preventing defensive use of guns...by the nature of campus gun bans.
I'm calling out his argument that two incidents is a rational basis for judgment in this case. He could just as easily say that guns should be completely outlawed because two children were killed by them.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see...

He's a pretty logical writer. I don't think this was meant as a serious argument, just a comparison of two schools in the same state operating under the same law...with different rules and vastly different results. I think it was all geared toward ridiculing the Brady bunch.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Tons of ways to refute Brady, however with WSJ and AJC you have to be brief and to the point.

I personally would have gone with something like: Should you have to choose between your future with a college education and your desire to protect yourself?

Most funny is the fact that a lobbying group is saying it is better to give up your education than to fight to change the law. Can't indoctrinate students into the liberal thought process if you have a pro-gun student standing up for themself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
Should you have to choose between your future with a college education and your desire to protect yourself?
:up: (wish somebody could have put that in the article...)

I don't see why I should have to give up my right to protect myself so I can get a higher education. I know for sure the "security guards" at my school don't do a dam thing. They just make sure everyone has a parking permit and sit at the little desk for them in the hallway. Plus the only cameras are in the school. There is none, to my knowledge, outside in the parking lot, which has had a lot of vandalism and breakins. Very sad since I heard it was a lot worse at their old location. How am I supposed to be a civilized citizen without an edumcashion.. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts