Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a belt and a mag pouch from OpticsPlanet.com. Apparently, someone with a name similar to mine is on the "List of Statutorily Debarred Parties," and Optics Planet wants ID from me before they will ship it.

I can walk into any retailer and buy a belt and a mag pouch without showing ID. They are insistent upon their position and about to lose a customer.

EDIT: The sales associate tells me the belt(?!) is the item that is "restricted." I'm waiting on the Risk Management folks to call back and explain why.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Hey, c'mon, give us a link to the belt! We all wanna see. :lol:

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
It sounds like you or someone with the same name as you have been involved in activities detrimental to the security of the United States. Optics Planet is doing its part to keep America safe.
Things that can get you put on the list:
Visiting a mosque
Watching a documentary on the dangers of drilling for natural gas (Mark Ruffalo)
Buying a gun without going through the Federal Background check
Refusing to submit to the lastest TSA screening procedures
Contributing to forums where anti-American sentiments are expressed
Buying large quantities of ammunition
Buying fertilizer in large quantities
Being seen at a political rally where anti-American sentiments are expressed

Those are just some of the reasons for get placed on a watch list. Also keep in mind that what is anti-American is in the eye of the accuser and require no due process. All of this is an effort to make America safer. So it just might be you, not someone with your same name, on the list, especially if you have taken part in in any one of these nominally legal activities.

So Optics Planet checks these lists, and they don't want to sell to anyone that might be a potential terrorist. imagine if you were a retailer and you sold a product to a person on one of these lists, and then were named when said person did something bad.

So is the problem with Optics Planet or with the lists themselves?

·
Registered
248 Posts
[quote="bdee"
So is the problem with Optics Planet or with the lists themselves?[/quote]

Not an "either/or" question. The problem is with a government willing to restrict the freedoms of its people in such a way AND with a company that is not willing to push back. Both are in the wrong.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's probably the belt Chuck Norris wears while defeating his enemies.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
What exactly is this "List of Statutorily Debarred Parties," and how did a private non air transportation affiliated company like Optics Planet access this list? The TSA "No Fly" list is uber-classified and no one not cleared, well except for maybe that wiki leaks weirdo, has access to the list. They won't even confirm or deny if you are on the list or not without you first going through a bunch of bureaucratic lying hell.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,108 Posts
If Optics Planet says they are following some LAW that makes them deny the sale of a gun belt or holster to people on the "no fly list," make them cite that law, or name the federal agent that told them this.

Then let's focus our efforts on changing the law.

If Optics Planet is just making up some bullship thinking that it's good business to cover your ash, let's boycott them and spread the news far and wide.
No private business that sells harmless accessories should be eager to start or go along with a plan to discriminate against customers based on half-asp information (unreliable data) or political / religious viewpoint discrimination (unless THEY really do have information that some person is quite likely to use their products to try to kill somebody).

I'm ready to boycott Optics Planet, and spread the news far and wide, IF they are to blame for this new policy and if they choose to limit our freedom more than the law really requires.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/debar.html
It's related to the Arms Export Control Act, appararently.

OpticsPlanet sells night vision and scopes. If you peruse the website you'll see these are objects-de-heck-no for exporting to certain parties. I think the OP was just wanting a belt or such. I'm guessing the company doesn't want any sales linked to a matching name on the AECA list.

Edit to add: I re-read :oops: the OP, and the belt seems to be specifically listed. I'm curious if the belt is tacticool or has Batman gadgets or something.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,469 Posts
drtybykr said:
Wait a sec... that utility belt... has a GUN in it!!! The Batman I grew up with never used guns, since Guns are.... E V I L!

:wink:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
TimBob said:
drtybykr said:
Wait a sec... that utility belt... has a GUN in it!!! The Batman I grew up with never used guns, since Guns are.... E V I L!

:wink:
The purpose of "that" gun is to shoot all of those grappling hook devices. Never did he need to use it for protection. :lol:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is the belt in question. I do know that my first and last name (but a different middle initial) appear on the Debarred List. To be clear, this is not the "no-fly list," but rather a list of people who cannot be sold military equipment, most likely because they tried to export it to one of our enemies.

My best guess, although Optics Planet Risk Management has yet to return my call, is that a Safariland duty belt probably qualifies as "military equipment," and whoever made the list of restricted items didn't recognize that this isn't a duty belt. The funny thing is apparently a magazine pouch is NOT a restricted item.

The moral of the story is, if you want a belt just buy one from A&G, even if you already have too much $$ tied up in custom belts and this one costs half as much. It is worth the money if Al won't make you fax him your passport.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safariland-plainclothes-belt-leather-1-25-plain-black-l820-40-06.html

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
got a belt from al earlier this week :righton:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts