OMG He's got a... sign?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gsusnake, Aug 13, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I parked on campus (TOTALLY unarmed) today for class. I still had the GCO sign from the show in the back seat, as I did not have time to take it into the house last night.

Visible on my backseat were the words "Georgia citizens' firearms rights". Now, I also have an NRA sticker and a GCO sticker on the car.

When I got out of class, there was a University PD officer standing next to my car, writing down the tag number. I approached and said, "Officer XXX, that's my vehicle. Is something wrong?" as I presented my school ID (he's not getting my DL, as I'm not driving at this time).

He said, "Yeah, we got a tip about a car with something related to firearms in it. What's that sign for on your backseat?"

I said, "None of your business. Am I free to go now?"

He said, "It says something about guns, and that's why I got the call. I'm going to search your car."

I replied, "Nope. If you want to go fishing, the river's that way." and pointed in the general direction of my favorite fishing hole.

"But it says something about guns."

I said, "Are you going to search every car on campus with an NRA sticker, too?"

"But son, I'm just trying to do this for your protection. I'm going to search your car now."

I told him that if he wanted to protect anything of mine, he could start with my 4th Amendment rights and stop trying to search my vehicle. I also told him if he could give me any probable cause (or even articulable suspicion) for the search, I would gladly open the vehicle, as there was nothing at all in there for him to find.

He said, "If there really is nothing for me to find, what do you have to hide?"

I told him I had nothing to hide, but he still wasn't searching anything without a warrant. I then demanded to speak to a supervisor if I was going to be detained further.

About 20 minutes, the supervisor shows up. I'm leaning on my car, smoking cigarettes and replying to the inquiries every minute or so as to why he can't search (BECAUSE I SAY SO!). The supervisor gets there and asks the officer what the problem is.

Officer XXX replies, "He's got a sign that says something about guns, and we got a tip from a concerned citizen. I want to search his vehicle and he won't let me. He's also being a smart little sh!t."

I told Sgt. YYY that I have nothing to hide, but no one is searching my vehicle without a warrant. I then asked if I was free to go.

The supervisor said, "You sure you don't have anything in that vehicle that we should be concerned about?"

I said, "Yes, I'm sure. Am I free to go?" (this is at least the 50th time I've asked this now)

He said, "Yes. You might want to take that sign out of your car, though, just so we don't have this problem again."

I'm still a little upset about this.

2. M249

M249 New Member

:shock:

Excellent! I don't care what anyone says, my friend, that right there is service to your country.

:righton:

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That's crazy...even the second time I hear about it. I'd like to smack around the little turd that called about it.

4. gsusnake

It could have been ANYONE.

It was in the Russell Union parking lot, so it really could have been one of about 3,000 people.

Probably some little old lady professor type who got her panties in a wad from just seeing the word "firearm".

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Maybe. But yea, you're right. Next time I see a Kerry-Edwards sticker I'm calling the cops because I'm scared they might be a terrorist.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Run it up the chain of command as well as school officials and make sure they know this harassment is unacceptable.

Write a letter (actual paper, no emails) and make sure they are aware of your displeasure.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

oh...you gotta remember Snake...we just got in influx of <strike>babies</strike> freshmen. I'd bet you lunch it was one of them.

"Oh noes! that cluster of letters represents an object that uses a small scale explosion to propel a conical shaped metal mass through the air at a high rate of speed. a+b+c= VIRGINIA TECH!!!!!11elevenone oh noes! everyone panic! GUN!.......yes...hello...campus police?....yeah.....like...some dude totally has a sign that says 'firearm' can you send the closest SWAT team please? kthxbai!"

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Mhmm...

9. gsusnake

Already got letters drafted to the Capt. (chief of UP), VP of Student Affairs, and Dr. Grube (GSU president).

To make things even better, I plan on hand-delivering all the letters.

And I was hoping to make y'all laugh... I personally liked my line "If you want to go fishing, the river's over there" and "you can start by protecting my 4th Amendment rights"

I understand there's going to be some harassment for my pro-gun views. If I had a sticker on my car that said "I believe in killing babies" to support my pro-abortion stance, I would expect harassment for that.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

well...that's it.....now I have to put my orange "GUNS SAVE LIVES" button on my backpack.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Excellent

GSU snake, I just discovered this thread. Good job! You stood on your rights, responded the right way, and came out ahead (no search, no arrest, no made up "obstruction of LEO" charges, etc.) You were a smarty, of course, but that's not a problem given the facts and circumstances, I think. It was pretty funny, really.

Now, if you HAD something in your car that you shouldn't have had, would you have been equally confident in asserting your rights? Including the smart-aleck comments? Probably not. And they knew it, so they didn't search. I am guessing that IF they really thought you had guns in there, even if it were just a hunch, they'd probably do the search over your objection and let the lawyers argue about your 4th Amendment rights a year from now in court.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Re: Excellent

:up: :?: :-s

Mr. Snake... Good for you. It is a shame that when a puke like that comes across someone who knows their rights that they have to get a supervisor. I hope you leave that sign in your car everyday and park as far up front as possible so everyone can see it.

13. gsusnake

Re: Excellent

New item for the store!

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

++ MP's got a lot of experience with this stuff and listening to his thoughts can't hurt your case. Now, doing what he says might be a bad idea... ;)

15. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

I hope you consider fighting this. If you are wavering then consider this story that I found on PowerLine.Com:

A salute to Major Swanson

Peter Swanson is my colleague at my day job. I've known Peter since 1993 or so when he was a law student passing out Bill-and-Hillary jokes that were confiscated by the powers-that-be at the University of Minnesota during freshman orientation. John and I represented Peter when he sought redress for the university's blatant violation of his First Amendment rights.

With Peter's enthusiastic support we agreed to a settlement under which the university president and his cabinet of deans and chancellors received "First Amendment sensitivity training" from the distinguished constitutional law professor Daniel Farber, then of the University of Minnesota Law School. The university confiscated his jokes, but Peter got the last laugh.

I came to admire Peter at the time and my admiration has only grown over the years. After law school Peter entered the Army JAG Corps, where he served five years overseas in Bosnia, I think, and at home as a part-time JAG recruiter. At work he is a model colleague. Within the legal profession he is a tireless opponent of the reigning orthodoxies.

Peter's Army service came between the two Iraq wars. He has now answered the call for a return to duty. He will be serving in Iraq for an additional hitch of a year or so. At the moment he is stationed in Texas preparing for his duty in Baghdad. We offer him our respectful salute.

You can never go wrong defending liberty.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Do you have an extra one?

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

=D> Get this thing rolling! I can help, if need be.