Old shotgun with a busted stock

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by publius, Oct 29, 2007.

1. publius

publius Guest

Currently, my only shotgun is an old bolt action 12 ga. my father gave me. Recently, however, the wood stock started to split right down the middle and has kind of left me up the proverbial creek.

The gun is a "Western Field 128 FR." My dad said that was just the name Montgomery Ward slapped on guns they sold but they were made by someone else. After a little research, I'm pretty sure the manufacturer was Kessler. But it doesn't seem like anyone is making a stock that would fit. And quite frankly, it probably wouldn't even be that smart to pour money into a gun that really needs replaced.

So, here's my question: can I glue it? I've talked to several people and the feedback is mixed. According to some, wood glue is stronger than the wood itself and if it were to break again, it wouldn't break in same place. Others say its dangerous and I should just retire the gun. I'm probably going to glue it and hope for the best, but I wanted to post here and get some opinions.

-Publius

2. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

Yeah, glue would probably hold. An epoxy resin will hold even better, though, and will fill any voids left after cleaning and prepping the surfaces.

You could always try carving your own.

3. publius

publius Guest

:rotfl2:

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Remove the wood stock and put a pistol grip on that bad boy :righton:

Can you post pictures of what you're talking about?

Have you checked to see if the buttstock is of similar size to another make/model and if you could make that one fit?

5. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

wood glue, and use sawdust in with it...

epoxy resin would be even better. if you can mix in sawdust, even better. i bet it can be refinished such that you could barely notice the crack, either.

6. publius

publius Guest

Already looked into that approach, but I don't really think its possible to pistol grip this one.

The stock looks almost exactly like the old Mossberg 195 (and who knows, maybe it's actually a clone of that gun). This wood stock looks very similar to mine. I could probably make it work, but if it's going to take 75 bucks to get a new stock, not sure that's a wise investment.

Here's some pics of my stock. The last one is her in all her glory before the wood started to break.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. publius

publius Guest

Ok, I think I have been convinced that try epoxy resin. Now here's one more question. That crack currently isn't that big and I think I may have a tough time getting the resin deep into it. Should I break it further to insure I can get epoxy to keep recoil bearing part? Or just do my best with it in the current state?

(And sorry about the oversized pics in the last post).

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got that same 10/22, but without the extended mag release :righton:

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Plain old yellow wood glue (Elmer's, Titebond, etc.) is stronger than the wood. Looks like you're gluing long grain to long grain, which is the strongest bond, so yellow glue would work at least as well and probably better than epoxy.

If you can clamp it quickly, you might try isocyanate (crazy glue). It's very thin and watery, so it'll fill all the voids. Squirt it in and clamp it up for a few seconds and you're done!

Good luck!

If you're not totally confident in your abilities, take it to a cabinet maker or woodworker shop. What you need is a very small (read: inexpensive) job. I'm pretty sure they'll do it for you for not all that much money.

again, good luck...

:crossfinger:

10. publius

publius Guest

Well, the glue didn't really hold as well as I hoped. It held, but not enough to withstand repeated recoils from a 12 gauge. So, alas, I resorted to the WECSOG. It sure doesn't look pretty, and I would most certainly get laughed at if I ever showed up anywhere legitimate with this thing, but it works. And that's what counts for me . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member