1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Even if your deaf as a post, if a police officer is pointing a weapon at you dropping what is in you hands might be a good idea.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know they didn't draw and fire? I don't. Yes, if someone points a gun at me, I'm probably going to stop. Dropping something that I don't consider a weapon? Not so sure, but probably. Leaning over to put it on the ground could also get you shot. No video, so there is a lot we don't know.

Then again, if SEVERAL neighbors are yelling something about him being deaf, maybe you re-evaluate and switch to hand gestures or let a neighbor intervene. Or, just keep blasting people, which will not end well.

About six other neighbors joined in, frantically trying to get the officer’s attention. But less than a minute after the episode began, a second officer arrived and immediately pulled out his handgun, Mr. Rayos said. While people continued to scream, the first officer fired his Taser at Mr. Sanchez, while the second fired his handgun, the police said.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
The guy sounds like he was a nutcase not just Deaf.

Walking in heavy rain, jogging around the parking lot, waving his metal pipe at anybody and everybody for emphasis as as he spoke ...

And then upon seeing the cops show up in his yard (not looking for him, though) he gets up off his front porch and comes at them waving his 2 foot long metal pipe!?!?
Yeah that's terminally stupid.
Good shoot, legally and morally.
Even if, in hindsight, we know he probably was not actually attacking the officers.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You left out how much money this will save the state.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't understand why one officer had a taser and the other chose a gun

I don't understand why the officer with the gun didn't wait until seeing the effect of the taser on the man before firing. pretty sure an middle aged deaf man would have hit the ground like a sack of potatoes from a taser hit.

I also don't understand what kind of stupid you have to be to do anything other than empty and raise your hands when two uniformed officers are pointing weapons at you

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also don't understand what kind of stupid you have to be to do anything other than empty and raise your hands when two uniformed officers are pointing weapons at you
I would agree, but the first officer went for the taser, the second officer pulled his gun and immediately fired several shots. I didn't read it as saying there was any length of time a gun was pointed at him where he could have reacted. The only gun was the backup officer who didn't hesitate to fire.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
The guy sounds like he was a nutcase not just Deaf.

Walking in heavy rain, jogging around the parking lot, waving his metal pipe at anybody and everybody for emphasis as as he spoke ...
Damn, that's a mighty broad brush you're painting the man with, don't you think? And that pipe was some sort of "communications" device for him. I don't quite understand that but apparently the neighbors did and it wasn't an issue with them.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
And then upon seeing the cops show up in his yard (not looking for him, though) he gets up off his front porch and comes at them waving his 2 foot long metal pipe!?!?
Yeah that's terminally stupid.
Yes, it was a dumb thing but you're making it sound like he was combatively advancing on the cop. I don't think he was. Most likely going to go "talk" with the cop who was addressing him.

But the cops didn't give a sh*t what anybody around them was saying about the guy and his handicaps. All they saw was a guy coming toward them with a pipe, hence a threat and therefore must be shot. Complete tunnel vision and lack of comprehending the immediate environment.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, it was a dumb thing but you're making it sound like he was combatively advancing on the cop. I don't think he was. Most likely going to go "talk" with the cop who was addressing him.

But the cops didn't give a sh*t what anybody around them was saying about the guy and his handicaps. All they saw was a guy coming toward them with a pipe, hence a threat and therefore must be shot. Complete tunnel vision and lack of comprehending the immediate environment.
Only one of the cops was in the wrong. Taser cop had tunnel vision, but picked the right tool for his overreaction.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, the guy that had been dealing with him the longest went for the taser. New guy on the scene just wanted to bury him, and did. This one will fade faster than Justine Damond.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts