Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this lens a few years back in a purchase I made of a lot of boxes of Stuff! I put it away and recently found it again while prepping for a yard sale. I have no knowledge of photo equipment, or value; my google fu is weak!! I found a couple references to it on one photography site from about a year ago, and they said it was very hard to find. One guy even stated it had a cult like status, but who knows?!
Can anyone tell me anything about it, and most of all a value range for resale. Your help would be greatly appreciated, and we sure need the money right now!!! So thanks in advanced for any info and advice. I tried to take some pics with the phone to give you an idea of what the lens is but, as I said, I am no photographer. :help: !!
It says it is a Canon, Carl Zeiss, Jena, macro Jenazoom

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm no pro but I have fooled with cameras a little bit over the years.

The best I can remember is the Zeiss lens with the red T stamped on them were the expensive lens. Zeiss sold some rights to Jena to the Japs at one point and they sorta raped the good reputation that Carl Zeiss had by producing some mediocre glass (some were good, most were so-so).

Dig around a little before putting a price on it. This could be a $50 lens or it could be worth much, much more.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
It's not a particularly fast lens, and zooms aren't as desirable as primes. But, some of us DSLR video shooters use older lenses like this for certain looks depending on the lens's characteristics. See if you can find out what type of mount is on the lens... It looks like it could be a Canon FD mount.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Not abad lens from the f stop numbers.... Carl Zeiss lens. The 1A is simply a skylight filter to protect the glass from wear and scratches. I have nno idea what it belongs with.

·
Registered
677 Posts
He's not dead Jim! Okay I'm bringing this back to life because this is for sale. I have no clue what it is worth, so if someone wants it, make an honest offer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
To answer your question, this 35-70mm Carl Zeiss lens is actually a re-branded Sigma lens with a Canon mount, most likely an F-mount.

At F:3.5-4.6 it is a very slow lens to me. I am a professional photojournalist and would not use a lens such as the one above or know anyone who would, 20 years ago when I shot film I used a Nikon lens kind of like the one you have above. Everything nowadays is way faster and AF.

The market for your lens would be an entry level student or a art student that is looking for a certain look from a certain type of manual lens.
I believe the value would be anywhere between $ 25- $ 50
If you want to know the exact price go by Wings Camera off Briarcliff Road in Atlanta, they could tell you all about that lens. http://www.wingscamera.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts