1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
740 Posts
14/15. Missed the one with "long eyelashes" (which is an African bird, not exactly my region.)

(My daughter draws wildlife a lot, so we have quite a few "bird" books. It rubs off!)

DH

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Didn’t do well. I did get the stork right thanks to vlassic pickles and didn’t need help from that one hell of a clue they offered up.

This bird flies

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
After I graduated from high school I moved in with my nana down in Florida, and she had an Australian Shepherd named Rusty. Rusty would often get out of the backyard and end up at the dog pound. I would have to go to the dog pound and retrieve Rusty. The funniest thing I've ever seen or at least one of the funniest things I've ever seen was they had a parakeet at the dog pound that would greet you as you walked in. It would ask you," what you in for buddy?"

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,451 Posts
11/15 also.
I didn't know my finches from my sparrows, and that's embarrassing.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
11/15 also.
I didn't know my finches from my sparrows, and that's embarrassing.
gunsmoker you and I both know the only important birds are the BobWhite Quail, Mourning Dove, Wild Turkey, Wood Duck, and at least one Snipe hunt.

Reactions: mountainman444

·
Professional Troll
2,277 Posts
Well, I already knew that.. 🤪

Font Logo Rectangle Brand Art

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smarter than the average bear. But that one last super smart bear shoots down helicopters for dinner.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Species I don't know but looking back at you, he is thinking looks like dinner for a month or so.

Nemo

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Species I don't know but looking back at you, he is thinking looks like dinner for a month or so.

Nemo
Ive got a large pond full of bass and brim. That is what he is sitting over in both pictures. I found a dead bass torn up last week. Suspect thats the culprit.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
Northern Spotted Owl

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
Ive got a large pond full of bass and brim. That is what he is sitting over in both pictures. I found a dead bass torn up last week. Suspect thats the culprit.
I've never heard of an owl fishing but cannot say it doesn't happen. Owls mostly eat small rodents (rats, mice, squirrels and chipmunks) and snakes. They are immune to snake venom so even if they are bitten they get over it when the wound heals.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I've never heard of an owl fishing but cannot say it doesn't happen. Owls mostly eat small rodents (rats, mice, squirrels and chipmunks) and snakes. They are immune to snake venom so even if they are bitten they get over it when the wound heals.
Looks to be a barred owl. From what I read they will fish.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I've never heard of an owl fishing but cannot say it doesn't happen.
They most certainly fish. We see them all the time sitting in limbs right over the creek looking for fish. they just swoop down and most times come back up with one. Mostly Great Horned Owls down here. After 50 years of living here they pay little or no attention to us.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
Bird Photograph Light Natural environment Beak

Yes I did read and owls can, do and will fish. So the torn up fish could have been because of this guy.

The photos look like they could be 2 different owls. Either way pick the one close to what you have seen in real life.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
My concern is I want my chickens to be able to free range around the pond as its completely fenced in. But im afraid owls or eagles will grab them. I could put my dog out there but hes lazy and would just go lay in the shade somewhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts