Ohio veto override

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by kkennett, Dec 12, 2006.

1. kkennett

kkennett New Member

The Ohio republican legislature has overridden their own party's governor to pass a state pre-emption law and clean up their concealed carry law. A few years ago they got a concealed carry law passed, but the state police got a concession regarding open and obvious only in a car. There were also a couple of high profile prosecutions on silly local ordinances. Well, they passed the bill (347), the governor vetoed, and the House overrode it two hours later last week. The Senate did so today and it will become law. A veto override also happened last year in Wisconsin, I believe. Our movement here is really getting some legs throughout the country. You can read all about it on http://www.ohioccw.org, or any news search, as it has been well covered.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I knew the house overrode the veto, I did not know the Senate did as well. :D

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It becomes law in 90 days. Of course, as we know here in Georgia, a preemption law is only half the battle. Somebody has to make the local governments obey it.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Fixed the link...

Those who are new to the Ohio change, it is to modify their current carry law which forced them to open carry while in a car but could conceal most anywhere else.

It also created state preemption on many restrictions like Cincinatti's ban on handguns with a capacity to fire 11 or more rounds at a time.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is broader than that. It is like Georgia's preemption.

Here is an article in which city officials admit their local gun laws did nothing, but they are whining about preemption anyway!

" . . . Davis said the city is already eight homicides ahead of last year’s pace, and the mayor worries that relaxing the gun laws would only make those numbers go up."

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I think I read one article that said the state's new preemption law would strike down 60-80 locally created firearm laws.

I was just giving Cincinatti as an example, you could have a perfectly legal 16 round magazine in your hometown in Ohio, but if you enter Cincinatti's city limits, that magazine would be illegal since they only allow 10 round capacity.

7. Foul

Foul Guest

That's the responsibility of a no-nonsense armed populous.

8. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

now if we could just get reciprosity with ohio!!!! 8)

9. Wiley

Wiley Guest

I could be wrong (I often am) but I believe open carry is legal, without a permit in OH. Open carry walks was one of the reasons OH has a concealed carry law.