·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Morning Journal (Northern Ohio)

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/ ... =fullstory

THE EDITOR'S COLUMN: Facts top feelings, change views on gun issues

--------------------------

Back in 2004, when Ohio’s law allowing licensed concealed carry of handguns was adopted, I was among the opponents who thought it would make public shoot-outs common and fill the streets with blood.

The facts showed that concealed carry did not bring Ohio more crime, more bloodshed or a Wild West atmosphere. In fact, none of that has happened anywhere in the United States as legal concealed carry has become the rule rather than the exception in the state laws across the land.

For now, let’s just say I freely admit I was on the wrong side of this argument for too long, and the facts presented by gun rights advocates over the years finally have brought me to see the issue with appropriate clarity.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Here is the article the Editor is referencing: http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/ ... 529107.txt

Despite few reported problems with concealed carry in Ohio, Toby Hoover, executive director of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, says the increase in concealed carry licenses is dangerous.

“As far as concealed carry, it is promoting a culture that is one of impending violence and fear and other people are convinced to carry,†Hoover said. “As far as numbers are concerned, even though it has become popular in some cultures, we keep advertising like more and more of us are protecting ourselves.â€
In 2009, the Lorain County Sheriff’s office suspended 11 concealed carry permits, revoked three and denied permits to 18 applicants. That ratio of 14 permits suspended or revoked compared to 1,220 issued or renewed backs up assertions that the vast majority of concealed carry permit holders are law-abiding citizens.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
mmm Crow doesn't really taste that bad. :D Glad he is man enough to deal admit it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
:righton: Cool article. Its nice when people use reason rather than raw emotion to dictate their views.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
That's a good article. I love it when facts rule over emotion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts