#1 ·
Today I'll spend the day drunk...

Harry Reid won.
California stayed Democrats.
Barney Frank got re-elected.
New York Elected a Democrat Governor.
O'Donnel lost
The idiot in Connecticut won.
There are too many senates seats too close to call and we all know they will go to Democrats because they cheat.
... And the turnout was pitiful. I can't believe there are so may Americans who do not care.

The USA is really really really doomed.

#3 ·
Yeah we did ok. Not great. But maybe it will be something. I had one last hope this morning for a surprise present but then found this:

State Representative, District 85
99% of precincts reporting
Total Precincts: 15
Election Day Voting: 15 / 15 (100%)
Early Voting (In Person): 15 / 15 (100%)
Early Voting (By Mail): 15 / 15 (100%)

Candidates Party Votes % of Votes
Stephanie Stuckey Benfield Democratic 11,920 87.1%
Kenneth Brett Quarterman Republican 1,762 12.9%
*sigh* at least it's an evil that we know. hehehe

#4 ·
kestak said:
Today I'll spend the day drunk...

Harry Reid won.
California stayed Democrats.
Barney Frank got re-elected.
New York Elected a Democrat Governor.
O'Donnel lost
The idiot in Connecticut won.
There are too many senates seats too close to call and we all know they will go to Democrats because they cheat.
... And the turnout was pitiful. I can't believe there are so may Americans who do not care.

I think part of the issue is that the republican party could have / should have won in both Delaware and Nevada. The Reid/Angle race was surprisingly close even considering that Angle wasn't that strong of a candidate. The democratic party is vulnerable across the board, outside of the handful of liberal safehavens (San Fransisco, NYC and others).

Any conservative should be proud of the massive swing in the House. The close upset in the Senate AND the fact that while Reid, Frank and others won, think that Russ Feingold is out, Rand Paul is in, the governors count swung majorly to the republican side, the Obama senate seat went republican, the West Virginia senate race although it went to a democrat it's a very moderate democrat that will actually cross party lines regarding things like Cap and Trade and other horrific legislation. Add that up and look forward to 2012 when the job can be finished. Keep energy going and make sure we don't take steps backward as a country.

#6 ·
When I went to bed Bishop had lost- I wake up and he has won. I think I will take a nap and see if I can get this reversed.

#7 ·
If all the things you are upset about were reversed, we'd still be doomed. There is not enough will in either party to reverse the the economic doom coming. The political issues we face will be completely dwarfed by the debt implosion that will consume us in 12-48 months. And no matter who is in power at that point, we're likely to become a totalitarian state.

Sorry, I guess I'm not cheering you up.

#8 ·
As long as Frank keeps drafting stuff like this, he can stick around http://justgetthere.us/blog/archives/Fr ... juana.html

Frank isn't exactly the worst Dem out there.

Unless the republicans get their act together and decide that individual liberty MEANS individual liberty, not "slightly less" personal liberty and "slightly more" economic liberty than the dems, and offer a viable alternative.

Notice that the only significant tea-party/"freedom" victory was the true libertarian (paul in senate) and not the people advocating continuing our wars (iraq, terror, afghanistan, drugs, poverty, etc) yet saying they believe in small government. You can't have it both ways. I'd have thought the republicans would have REALLY got that figured out this year. Guess not.

It's good the dems lost control of the house, but the Rs need to go back to the drawing board and really think about what "small government" and "individualism" really mean. It does NOT mean cutting a few percent on taxes -- it means abolishing the income tax entirely. It doesn't mean maintaining an empire. It certainly doesn't mean continuing drug prohibition. Yet none of the major republicans running this year address any of those issues. With the economy on so many minds, I can't believe no one seriously discussed alternatives to the income tax, privatizing social security, or ending our foreign wars. We could cut gov spending by 50-80% if we did all that. Absolutely amazing.

#9 ·
guitarded_1 said:
kestak said:
No it isn't - not by a long shot.
I'd love some of that superduper kool-aid you're drinking.

What's the biggest issue for the majority of voters? According to one major news source, 'the economy' was the top priority for over 60% of the voters. Many GOP'ers are saying that the crap economy is the biggest reason for the shift in party power.

And when it comes to the economy and how government addresses it.......you come to the Federal Reserve Bank. Alan Greenspan and now Ben Bernanke have been in headlines for YEARS. Presidents and Congress hold their breath every time the Fed sets interest rates. Capitol Hill looks to the Fed to stop inflation, control bubbles, etc.

So one could argue that the Federal Reserve is the most important institution to the American people, since it most directly influences the most important concern.

And how many 'seats' in the Fed were up for election? NONE. Why? Because the Fed is NOT PART OF THE GOVERNMENT.

Their board is not elected.

Their board is not accountable.

The closest thing to our country's economic control has NOTHING to do with our system of government. Its shareholders are made up of the biggest international banks.

So the most influential force over the most important aspect of America (it's quite easy to argue that our economy is what makes America America) is controlled by a group of international mega banks.

MrMorden nailed it on the head. The people who are in office at any given time don't mean a damn thing. Cause the economy, and the people's perception of it, control this country. And our government has NO control over the Fed.

Now, it's not in the best interest of the Fed and its controllers for this country to literally fail and burn down. Cause then they won't make any money. So when I say I agree that this country is doomed.....it's not doomed to die......cause we have to stay alive and employed to spend $$$ on our restless-leg syndrome prescription and snuggies.

The idea of America is DOOMED. Well f*#k.......it's DEAD.

But when things like Jersey Shore and Soulja Boy are defining pop culture.......I'm not really sure that I mind.

#10 ·
SaltySamurai said:
guitarded_1 said:
kestak said:

What's the biggest issue for the majority of voters? According to one major news source, 'the economy' was the top priority for over 60% of the voters. Many GOP'ers are saying that the crap economy is the biggest reason for the shift in party power.

And when it comes to the economy and how government addresses it.......you come to the Federal Reserve Bank. Alan Greenspan and now Ben Bernanke have been in headlines for YEARS. Presidents and Congress hold their breath every time the Fed sets interest rates. Capitol Hill looks to the Fed to stop inflation, control bubbles, etc.

So one could argue that the Federal Reserve is the most important institution to the American people, since it most directly influences the most important concern.

And how many 'seats' in the Fed were up for election? NONE. Why? Because the Fed is NOT PART OF THE GOVERNMENT.

The closest thing to our country's economic control has NOTHING to do with our system of government. Its shareholders are made up of the biggest international banks.

So the most influential force over the most important aspect of America (it's quite easy to argue that our economy is what makes America America) is controlled by a group of international mega banks.

MrMorden nailed it on the head. The people who are in office at any given time don't mean a damn thing. Cause the economy, and the people's perception of it, control this country. And our government has NO control over the Fed.

Now, it's not in the best interest of the Fed and its controllers for this country to literally fail and burn down. Cause then they won't make any money. So when I say I agree that this country is doomed.....it's not doomed to die......cause we have to stay alive and employed to spend $$$ on our restless-leg syndrome prescription and snuggies.

But when things like Jersey Shore and Soulja Boy are defining pop culture.......I'm not really sure that I mind.
I'm aware of the issues we face, and I'm as concerned as anyone can be. Are there worse times ahead? Maybe so. However, unlike you, I continue to believe that this country has limitless potential. Despite what we're dealing with now, I continue to have faith that we'll eventually put all of this awful crap behind us and rebuild the dream stronger than ever. Am I mad? Sure I am. Nevertheless, I will stand strong and do everything I can to help get things back on track. If continuing to believe in this country's potential is drinking Kool-Aid, then consider me covered in it from head to toe.

Is America in troubled waters? Of course, but we're not doomed or dead. If you believe that to be the case, and I mean this sincerely, move to another country that can provide you with what you believe to be a brighter future. I, on the other hand, am choosing to stay and fight.

#12 ·
guitarded_1 said:
SaltySamurai said:
[quote="guitarded_1":flbzabtg]
kestak said:

I'm aware of the issues we face, and I'm as concerned as anyone can be. Are there worse times ahead? Maybe so. However, unlike you, I continue to believe that this country has limitless potential. Despite what we're dealing with now, I continue to have faith that we'll eventually put all of this awful crap behind us and rebuild the dream stronger than ever. Am I mad? Sure I am. Nevertheless, I will stand strong and do everything I can to help get things back on track. If continuing to believe in this country's potential is drinking Kool-Aid, then consider me covered in it from head to toe.

Is America in troubled waters? Of course, but we're not doomed or dead. If you believe that to be the case, and I mean this sincerely, move to another country that can provide you with what you believe to be a brighter future. I, on the other hand, am choosing to stay and fight.[/quote:flbzabtg]

Well said!

#13 ·
John Boehner said this morning that congress in it's oversight obligations for the past fifteen years. Well, guess who was in charge most of the time? That's manning up.

It's not about R's and D's! It's about the people, and the people are just beginning to realize how much they can run the government, rather than the government running the people. Whether we are in gridlock for the next two years, or we get things done, will be determined by those few Tea Party activists who we would hope work the hardest, and how much the country continues to insist on responsible leadership. That leadership will be made up by smart people from all parties. Changing from R's to D's, and D's to R's has not served us well over time. Unless the people stay involved, apathy may well doom this country. And, don't forget the L's! :wink:

#14 ·
Jonboy said:
When I went to bed Bishop had lost- I wake up and he has won. I think I will take a nap and see if I can get this reversed.
I know, Jon. It was a real downer for me, too, this morning. Dougherty and Muscogee counties were late reporting. Looks like Bishop beat Keown by around 4500 votes.

#16 ·
CountryGun said:
John Boehner Whether we are in gridlock for the next two years, or we get things done...
Gridlock might not be so bad, if by gridlock you mean the gov't not passing ANYTHING!

I think the next 2 years will be rough and we just have to survive them. We can't change anything (Obummercare, etc) until we have a conservative in the White House.

But you're absolutely right.... we (the people) must stay engaged and hold all elected officials' feet to the fire!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.